JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Front sight seems sliiiightly crooked, which if you google, is normal for Trijicon.

But rather than put where I want my bullet to go right on top of the front sight, I have to put the front sight covering the point of impact I want, basically obscuring the bullseye. This was from 15 yards or so.

Rear sight is even for windage but wouldn't explain the front sight situation.

D0BA7C11-6697-4A3F-B2F1-E080D6CD59A0.jpeg

If the front sight is crooked it wasnt installed correctly. But that wouldnt be the issue that lowers your point of impact.
A "cover up hold" is a common zero for many pistol sights, many are sold that way and if you want a "6 oclock hold" (like you described ideal) then you have to buy sights designed that way.

for a better idea how far off your pistols POI is hitting try precisely shooting a group at 7 yards or even 5. Try using a cover up hold and if that groups on bullsey then train to learn that sight. Cause it sounds like thats what you purchased.

1672444692137.png
I've always shot Blocks like image #3.
The XD's shoot like #2.

Neither explain a politician front sight. Remove, clean and try again. You used the proper tool?

and since this is the internet, aside from the wangdoodle front sight hanging crooked.. let us not forget the shooters error clock:
1672445098814.png

Not saying YOU are shooting bad, just so when we are fortunate enough for a new person to actually use the search function, they can find the info in one thread.

How crooked is crooked? How many .001" off is it? How tall? I run Trijicon suppressor height glowies and mine is as straight as I am.

Last Edited:
Neither explain a politician front sight. Remove, clean and try again. You used the proper tool?

and since this is the internet, aside from the wangdoodle front sight hanging crooked.. let us not forget the shooters error clock:
View attachment 1337818

Not saying YOU are shooting bad, just so when we are fortunate enough for a new person to actually use the search function, they can find the info in one thread.
That pie thing needs to die.

Here is a more accurate and realistic version:

qualification-target-you-suck-e1650542113670.jpg

Why The Pie Chart is Junk Science

OP, this is a common problem with right handed shooters dipping and shift to the left. Crush that biotch and don't let it move, 100% grip and trigger control issue.

Easy fix.
Sounds like the front sight is either defective or installed improperly.

1) Get a shorter front sight.
To find out how much shorter, use the Sight Calculator at Dawson or Ameriglo.

2) Practice your trigger press to stop shooting left.

Last Edited:
OP, is your photo based on shooting freehand or off a bag?

I have recently been going through this myself. I normally shoot a VP9 and hold my own given that I have a floating bone chip in the first portion of my trigger finger:

image.jpeg
(Free hand at 10 yds)

I recently purchased a Glock 19 and put Trigicon XD HR sights on them. For me the Glock transition has not been easy shooting wise. Here is a picture of what I initially thought was my best group:

image.jpeg
( freehand at 10 yds)

Nothing was very tight and a lot was low left.

After much grumbling and disparaging of the Glock brand, I decided to see if it was the gun, the sights or maybe me. So, I grabbed a bag from the rifle side of my range and tried another string from the bag:

image.jpeg

(Left side of photo at 10 yds off the bag)

My takeaway was that it was not the gun...it was not the sights...I confess to the world it was me.

The right side of the photo was freehand again but changing where I placed my finger on the trigger - closer to the first 1/3 of the digit instead of closer to the first joint, which is more comfortable for me. Also, I paid attention to tighter grip and not slapping the trigger. When I really concentrated, I could due this:

image.jpeg

The bottom line for me is that I need to spend more time with dry fire and laser cartridge to correct my defects.

I do believe the VP9 will still be my go to handgun - it just feels right in my hand and has a better factory trigger IMHO.

OP, your mileage may be different but good luck with your journey in figuring this out with your Glock.

I was doing low and right with my G34 I will focus on my grip next outing . This is a bit frustrating my Sig P series pistols and 1911's hit wherever I want then to ! The Glock not so much but I have been sipping that kool-aid maybe needs a bit more sugar !

OP, is your photo based on shooting freehand or off a bag?

I have recently been going through this myself. I normally shoot a VP9 and hold my own given that I have a floating bone chip in the first portion of my trigger finger:

View attachment 1337839
(Free hand at 10 yds)

I recently purchased a Glock 19 and put Trigicon XD HR sights on them. For me the Glock transition has not been easy shooting wise. Here is a picture of what I initially thought was my best group:

View attachment 1337837
( freehand at 10 yds)

Nothing was very tight and a lot was low left.

After much grumbling and disparaging of the Glock brand, I decided to see if it was the gun, the sights or maybe me. So, I grabbed a bag from the rifle side of my range and tried another string from the bag:

View attachment 1337838

(Left side of photo at 10 yds off the bag)

My takeaway was that it was not the gun...it was not the sights...I confess to the world it was me.

The right side of the photo was freehand again but changing where I placed my finger on the trigger - closer to the first 1/3 of the digit instead of closer to the first joint, which is more comfortable for me. Also, I paid attention to tighter grip and not slapping the trigger. When I really concentrated, I could due this:

View attachment 1337840

The bottom line for me is that I need to spend more time with dry fire and laser cartridge to correct my defects.

I do believe the VP9 will still be my go to handgun - it just feels right in my hand and has a better factory trigger IMHO.

OP, your mileage may be different but good luck with your journey in figuring this out with your Glock.
You have to love the VP9 that is a great pistol !

The front sight attaches with a screw. Is there a slot or other index which correctly aligns the sight? I have a gun which uses Glock 43 pattern sights. The front can be loosened and rotated into alignment with the rear using a straight edge, then re-tightened.

As to elevation, some material from atop the front sight can be removed, but only so much and even then, very carefully. What will be lost is the anodized finish. You could check to see if rears are available in taller heights.

Front sight seems sliiiightly crooked, which if you google, is normal for Trijicon.

But rather than put where I want my bullet to go right on top of the front sight, I have to put the front sight covering the point of impact I want, basically obscuring the bullseye. This was from 15 yards or so.

Rear sight is even for windage but wouldn't explain the front sight situation.

View attachment 1337796
Putting some fine fancy sights on a gun that keyholes seems a bit odd..

Not to me. I couldn't fiind the stock Glock sights in lower light situations, whereas, the tritium night sights were helpful.

Different eyes, different needs...
Keyholing bullets aren't accurate and therefore don't need any sights at all. I was referring to the OP picture.

Ok I'll say it. it's a Glock, made to work in the worst environments. It's not a target pistol. I'm not trying to disparage Glocks just that I've thrown a lot of money at them and they never shoot to the level of a fine tuned 1911 or Sig. I still have a glock 22 and it is good for what it is, reliable, easy to shoot, holds lots of bullets and reasonably accurate. Your group is good, certainly minute of bad guy, so if you want to take out the little blue dot, aim higher.

Ok I'll say it. it's a Glock, made to work in the worst environments. It's not a target pistol. I'm not trying to disparage Glocks just that I've thrown a lot of money at them and they never shoot to the level of a fine tuned 1911 or Sig. I still have a glock 22 and it is good for what it is, reliable, easy to shoot, holds lots of bullets and reasonably accurate. Your group is good, certainly minute of bad guy, so if you want to take out the little blue dot, aim higher.
I find the Glock to be very accurate.
The trigger takes some getting used to if you're coming from a hammer gun.
The OP has the wrong sights for his preferred "hold"

Me too!!!

I threw a lot of money at my G34, trying to get it to shoot more like my 2011, but nope. Gotta be happy with using them as EDC or go a diff way.

The only valid testing of sights is from a bench rest or a bag. Testing while shooting freehand is vulnerable to too many personal variables.

But in the long run and practically speaking, if you cannot hit the bull using the hold you want, you need diff sights. Not hard to find for a Glock!!!

The only valid testing of sights is from a bench rest or a bag. Testing while shooting freehand is vulnerable to too many personal variables.

But in the long run and practically speaking, if you cannot hit the bull using the hold you want, you need diff sights. Not hard to find for a Glock!!!
Many it seems, either don't know how to do this or are too lazy to go through the steps to do it.
The second group wants to buy a "sight set" and expect to be golden.
Surprise ! You're either going to get Combat Hold or Center Hold depending on what the manufacturer thinks you should have.
There are simple to use Sight Calculators available for free at Dawson, Ameriglo etc.
Measure what you have "above the slide"......calipers needed, even a cheap digital will work for this.

Last Edited:
The OPs Glock is fine. He needs to correctly install his sight and learn to shoot the sight picture his sights were designed for. Or buy different sights.

In the OPs defense, aftermarket sights rarely if ever say what their sight picture is or will be. The Cover Up hold is most common because its the easiest to produce. I prefer a Center Mass hold on pistols myself but I gave up trying to find the exact sight cause custom high visibility sights are more expensive.

If the OP wants to chase his preferred sight picture he can order his night sight custom based on the post height, but he first needs to know what post height gives him his 6 oclock hold. At least Glock front sights are easy to install.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top