JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
As suggested somewhere above, I also got the 22/45 (a couple of them). Not to train myself with my 1911, but just to own some fun Rugers since I've always liked the MI and MII. Sure, there was some logic that the 22/45 grip would feel familiar, like the 1911. But in practical application... not so much, for a couple reasons.

First, unlike the 1911, 22/45 triggers swing/pivot. Factory-stock or modified with nice, smooth VQ parts, they have a completely different movement and feel, even with adjustable take-up and reset characteristics. Just plain different.

Secondly, the grip, while it sorta looks like a 1911 (from the side), is significantly slimmer, giving it a completely different feel. Again, just for fun (motivation for most everything I do), I fabbed steel spacers to make my grips the same width as the 1911 and add back some of the mass that's obviously absent in the much lighter Rugers.

Both really fun guns. Love 'em for driving tacks since they're far more accurate than I'll ever be.

Respectfully, I'm not trying to discount what other shooters might've found. But the 22/45 is not, IMHO, sufficiently similar to the 1911 to expect it would refine your 1911 accuracy (beyond reinforcement of generic range behaviors like stance, holding, timing, breathing, sighting, recoil recovery, etc., etc.).

Ruger 1.JPG

Ruger 2.JPG

Last Edited:
Just my two cents on .22 pistols for practicing your skills with a 1911...
A conversion unit is the way to go...this one below is by Pachmayr.
( Unfortunately no longer made )
With most conversions the controls are the same instead of being almost the same....

Another way to go is just saving your pennies and buy in bulk , or even just buying a box or two each time you visit the gun store of the load you want to shoot out of your 1911 and just practice with that....
Andy
DSC06046.jpg

Just my two cents on .22 pistols for practicing your skills with a 1911...
A conversion unit is the way to go...this one below is by Pachmayr.
( Unfortunately no longer made )
With most conversions the controls are the same instead of being almost the same....

Another way to go is just saving your pennies and buy in bulk , or even just a box or two each time you visit the gun store of the load you want to shoot out of your 1911 and just practice with that....
Andy
View attachment 421375
Totally agree Andy.

Converted or not, pulling the trigger on a 1911 is the only way to train for pulling the trigger on a 1911. 22lr is finally cheap and available again, and so is .45 acp! The only thing I would add is that aluminum cased .45 ball ammo, while slightly cheaper than brass, has proven to be problematic in my weps. And it's dangerous in open bolt NFA toys.

On a scientific subatomic level, it just might be a greater gravitational pull down to the left from the overabundance of the liberal leftist leanings in Portland.

Oh, man. How am I going to be able to sleep tonight, with all them Subatomic Liberals haunting me?

CEAF40A6-DC2F-4BE8-B5BD-79AC7F9AF2CB.jpeg
(Subatomic Liberals not shown in actual size.)

Sorry, OP - I can't help you with the low/left thing. Good luck!

I really can't help much here...I have been shooting my Dad's and now mine Series '70 Colt for many years...I tend to shoot it now like a longbow or shotgun..."ignoring" the sights and focusing on where I want to hit the target...

Do I get those tight little groups that the target shooters like this way?...Nope...but I do tend to hit where I want to , close enough for "combat' style shooting anyways...
'Course I also use the same load or near enough for all my shooting with it...230 grain hardball for practice and 230 JHP for "social work"...keeps me from too much guessing...:D

Luckily my pistol seems to shoot most 230 grain bullets the same...Which brings me to my questions...
Would a different load work better or worse?
Could your pistol "favor" a different brand of ammo?

Again not really much help here...not much of a pistol shooter...but when I do I shoot a pistol its my Colt Series '70....:D
Andy
"1911's are really just point and shoot, not much use for the sights on them..."
My dad taught me that, and it works to my satisfaction.

Just some ideas...

• First and foremost have someone else try the gun (someone who you know is an accurate shooter). It's entirely possible the sights are off slightly
  • If that isn't the problem, adjust your trigger finger position. Try a little more finger on the trigger and a little less (if possible) and see if that corrects things at all
  • Try loosening your grip slightly on your strong hand
Let us know how it goes!
This! I had a brand new Sig 1911 Nightmare come out of the box with the rear sight 2mm off of center. Hubby's Tac Ops was fine, but we did have a second Sig that the rear sight required drifting. We do our own adjustments now, but check and see if your sights are centered over the barrel, or on the slide, or over the firing pin. 1 to 2 mm doesn't look like a lot on the gun, but the farther out you shoot the more off it becomes.

Well, Uncle Sam used to teach us this way!

Okay, so maybe things have changed a little, but it seems the basic principle stays the same.
Mostly doing this to post a cool video I first saw in high school. LoL

My ''Uncle Sam'' taught me.

He said use the sights. ;)

So I recently purchased a higher end 1911 for the collection. Just had to have one. They feel so good in the hand and the cool/sexy factor is high with these things (maybe stupid, but looks matter to me when it comes to a pistol).

I'm a target shooter with pistols, and accuracy and repeatability are the goals. With my XDM's and Browning hunter I do very well. From 50 feet with the Browning I can consistently get 90 out of 100 into a three inch bulls eye. This 1911 is kicking my butt though. Everything is low left. I'm not flinching, I'm going super slow with the trigger pull, basically doing everything I know of to shoot well. The only thing I can think of is that the grip on a 1911 is much more narrow than what I am used to and I am thinking/hoping my grip is the issue.

I have watched a few videos and it seems that most suggest bringing the shooting hand thumb up over the safety to present a greater surface area for the off hand to make contact with the gun. Also they suggest once the off hand is on the gun to relieve pressure from the shooting hand, especially with the bottom two fingers.

Most of you have much more experience than I do with the 1911. Have you had the same problem? Do you think these things will help?

I am going to test it out at the range, but was just curious if others had the same problem and how they fixed it.

Shots going low and left could be due to not pulling the trigger straight back, which can be due to not having your finger in the correct place on the trigger. There is a simple test to determine if you are pulling straight. With the gun unloaded, simply aim at a blank sheet of paper, watch the front sight, and keep it in perfect alignment with the rear sight. Slowly increase the pressure on the trigger, and then suddenly release all pressure. If the front sight does not stay perfectly aligned in the rear sight when pressure is released, if it moves left or right, or up or down in relation to the rear sight, that indicates that you are not pulling straight back on the trigger. If you are not pulling straight back, change the position of your finger until it does pull straight back.

Figured out my problem! Don't know that anyone cares, but for anyone in the future that has the same issue I figured it might help if I share.

Some guy on here mentioned my limp wrist. Thought he was just being a jerk, and still kind of do, but turns out he was right. I'd been shooting my target .22 pistol for so long that I'd gotten used to not really having to lock my wrist. It wasn't an issue with my 9mm, but it seems that with .45acp it does become an issue (tried both of my .45's and same problem). Locked the wrist, both shoot just fine now. Stupid little habits we pick up.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top