JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm gonna take a stab here and say you prolly have a couple of issues I would guess the shot right is one of two things, ether the sights are off a touch, ( or god forbid a off set barrel bushing) or that your grip isn't a "1911 Grip" The second, Shot low I am almost certain is you, your sight picture is incorrect. Look at the image Nammac posted, I would test the sight picture first and see where you end up. then I would add some tape to the grip and see if you pull the shots toward the center!

Well, I went out today to test some of the suggestions you guys have mentioned.

Used different ammo, tried the new grip, no luck.

Shot with wrists rested on sandbags and got a good group but still low left. I was so frustrated I didn't bother shooting the whole box of ammo, and switched back to my target pistol to get some confidence back.

Think I an going to get an actual pistol rest and test it one more time. If it is off then, it's on it's way back to Sig.
well that sucks, its sounding like Sig put the wrong front sight on, too tall. The left issue might* still be you but grouping low from a sandbag indicates the wrong front sight installed.

One last tip might be for you to try out a friends 1911, I bet you shoot it right on...

*As far as the left issue... If you have a pair of calipers you can measure the rear sight to see if its on center, that would explain the left part of your problem. Also, loosen the set screw and see if the rear sight is loose.... Ive had to deal with this, a centered rear sight should be centered withing plus or minus .010" worst case. The dovetail fit should be tight enough on its own that a light rap with a drift should not move it...

I wouldn't rule out that Sig goofed up, Ive had a bad Sig for other reasons that took 2 trips to the factory under warranty repair to get it to feed. Ive also had the rear sight on a brand new Dan Wesson 1911 just simply, fall off. Literally, took 2 trips to them and quite a lengthy "brutally honest" email exchange to get them to mill me a new slide. People don't make things with pride anymore and that includes higher end companies like Sig and even DW. Its really disappointing considering the cost of even an entry level 1911... and especially what I went thru with the DW and now I'm having FTF issues with it... been just over 6 months since I bought it new and I still don't have a gun I can rely on.

I feel your pain.

Man, I have learned so much from this thread - thanks, guys!

On that chart that several folks have posted it says "Tightening Fingers" for shooting low and left. What does "Tightening Fingers" mean exactly?

From what you described, you'v done your part...appears the pistol is not holding up its end of the bargain.
So sad. I really want to love this gun. It is beautiful, fits in the hand, the trigger is pretty amazing, everything is perfect until the bullet hits the paper. It's like having a big block 1969 Camaro, but it dies every time you floor it.

I think the worst part is that it messed with my head a little. It being a Sig I figured it had to be me messing something up. So I tried different grips, trigger finger placement, breathing, stance. It actually affected my accuracy with my other guns. Only a little. When I go to shoot this thing I always take another gun, because shooting this thing really made me doubt that I could shoot. I would shoot the 1911, get pissed at myself, and then switch guns and suddenly be right back on target.

I really appreciate all of the input and suggestions, and am glad to see that this thread might help some other shooters improve their skills.

Thanks everyone. I'll let you know how it goes from here.

Man, I have learned so much from this thread - thanks, guys!

On that chart that several folks have posted it says "Tightening Fingers" for shooting low and left. What does "Tightening Fingers" mean exactly?
It's pretty common to tighten your grip as you squeeze the trigger. I think @Cerberus Group touched on it earlier when he said to go 100% grip with both hands. That's before you pressure the trigger so there's no way you can "tighten your fingers" along with your trigger finger (they're already tight).

So sad. I really want to love this gun. It is beautiful, fits in the hand, the trigger is pretty amazing, everything is perfect until the bullet hits the paper. It's like having a big block 1969 Camaro, but it dies every time you floor it.

I think the worst part is that it messed with my head a little. It being a Sig I figured it had to be me messing something up. So I tried different grips, trigger finger placement, breathing, stance. It actually affected my accuracy with my other guns. Only a little. When I go to shoot this thing I always take another gun, because shooting this thing really made me doubt that I could shoot. I would shoot the 1911, get pissed at myself, and then switch guns and suddenly be right back on target.

I really appreciate all of the input and suggestions, and am glad to see that this thread might help some other shooters improve their skills.

Thanks everyone. I'll let you know how it goes from here.

My Sig legion 229 came from the factory with the front sight drifted off to the left.
Stuck a laser down the barrel [Like Stomper suggested earlier in this thread] and verified POI was off to the right.
Used a padded punch and small hammer to bring them back in line.

Hey. It's a mass produced gun. It happens. ;)

Place your support hand thumb forward and along the dust cover. Point the support hand thumb at the target. Have slight onboard pressure on the frame ..... this helps with a lot of things including minimizing anything "extra" we give the trigger.

It's a mass produced gun. It happens.
yeah, its true and your right... but I'm sorry, the amount of money they charge for these 1911s they should never have a manufacturing flaw. Not just Sig but most 1911 manufacturers. The design is over 100 years old and the improvements in manufacturing and machining technology are light years ahead of how they made them 100 years ago, heck even 30 years ago. I love the 1911 platform but I think its bullshi7 when they charge 2 to 3x the cost of a plastic fantastic gun that runs flawless out of the box and then you have manufacturing flaws in the 1911.

I know it's a lot of money for some.

But it's a mid level, mass produced 1911. o_O

And who that's into handguns. Doesn't know how to adjust sights?
A Sig Tacops run about a grand. You can buy 2 polymer guns for that price that never have problems.

The OP is shooting low and left. The left can be argued but the low is a too tall front sight installed from the factory. Unless hes doing something wrong but he sounds like an experienced shooter and no one can make a too tall sight shorter.

I'm opinionated because I work in CNC manufacturing including 15 years of metal manufacturing including sales and can tell you for the price they are charging for "mid level" 1911s and up there should be zero defects. Especially if they are hand fitting the gun during assembly. Thats what your paying dearly for when you buy a $1000 1911, a basic entry level 1911 is well under $500 and they run fine.... whats the extra $500 or more for if the sight is wrong?

I know it's a lot of money for some.

But it's a mid level, mass produced 1911. o_O

And who that's into handguns. Doesn't know how to adjust sights?
Who that is into handguns pays a $1000 and expects to have to adjust the sights? Take your condescending bubblegum someplace else. I am new to 1911's and so I reached out to this community hoping they knew something I didn't. They tried, and I thank each of them for it. Then bubblegum hats like you come in and try to brow beat the humble masses that know less than you (in your mind).
"I know it's a lot of money for some." Do you take Grey Poupon to the range with you in your Rolls Royce just in case someone asks for it?

I know how to adjust the sights, but I shouldn't have to. And I didn't want to start messing with that if there was a chance that maybe I was doing something wrong. Hint to being human, I admitted that maybe I was the problem. Guessing that might help you in life. learn it.

Sig may have regulated the sight system on your particular 1911 for lighter or heavier bullets than what you are shooting currently.

May not necessarily be Sig's fault. Call them up, they will send you the proper height sight in the mail, they did it for me on an EMP I had. That way you won't have to ship the gun all across the country for something that can easily be fixed at home.;)

On a scientific subatomic level, it just might be a greater gravitational pull down to the left from the overabundance of the liberal leftist leanings in Portland.

Sig may have regulated the sight system on your particular 1911 for lighter or heavier bullets than what you are shooting currently.

May not necessarily be Sig's fault. Call them up, they will send you the proper height sight in the mail, they did it for me on an EMP I had. That way you won't have to ship the gun all across the country for something that can easily be fixed at home.;)
Good info, thanks

Who that is into handguns pays a $1000 and expects to have to adjust the sights? Take your condescending bubblegum someplace else. I am new to 1911's and so I reached out to this community hoping they knew something I didn't. They tried, and I thank each of them for it. Then bubblegum hats like you come in and try to brow beat the humble masses that know less than you (in your mind).
"I know it's a lot of money for some." Do you take Grey Poupon to the range with you in your Rolls Royce just in case someone asks for it?

I know how to adjust the sights, but I shouldn't have to. And I didn't want to start messing with that if there was a chance that maybe I was doing something wrong. Hint to being human, I admitted that maybe I was the problem. Guessing that might help you in life. learn it.

Your grouchy. :D

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads