JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've heard its a pretty smooth running gun but for concealment purposes its the least attractive of the 380 line. The Ruger lcp, Taurus tcp, s&w bodyguard and kel tec 380 all are choices in that price range with the Taurus TCP being my favorite due to options per price. With the size of the bersa you're better off getting a 9mm

My wife did not like the snap it gave from being so light, she likes her .38 better. It isnt that she has week wrists as she had shot a sigma .40 also and didnt mind it.

I thought it was a decent shooting gun but for the size I would get a small 9mm unless recoil is an issue. Also had a couple of stove pipes with it so I would have reservations about carrying one

It really depends on how much much experience she has with guns, and on what she likes. Something may be the ideal carry gun for one person, and a lousy choice for another. For example, I like the small polymer-framed DAO pistols (e.g. Kahr CW9). For me, that is the ideal type of carry weapon. My S.O. cannot stand them however. She's very much partial to steel (or at least alloy) frames and SA triggers and virtually refuses to shoot any lightweight fantastic plastic guns. So in your position, I'd let her have all the say as far as what gun to get her!

I made the same decision as you: the Bersa Thunder .380 CC for the wife's CCW, and it's been absolutely great.

I cannot stress enough how superior this choice is to the LCP, P3AT, or any other pocket gun. The Bersa fits her hand - her whole hand - and it makes it easy for her to quickly get a combat grip. She fired off hundreds of rounds in a class without developing a flinch or a sore wrist, and that's the last thing we'd need. If she hates to practice with it, then it's worthless.

To digress a bit... I think pocket carry is idiotic - there's no other word for it. Either carry or don't, but a dinky mouse gun bouncing around in a pocket is the worst of all worlds. Her holsters - IWB and OWB - secure the weapon and allow for a much, much faster presentation.

The blowback operation of the Thunder CC is simple and reliable, the sight radius of the weapon makes it easier to shoot accurately than a subcompact, and I can shoot it without risking slide bite. Besides, it's ultra-thin, and IMO that's the critical dimension for comfortable carry, not the overall length.

I liked it so much I bought a second one. Two CC's for the price of a PPK.

I pocket carry a S&W 442 very easily so not all "pocket carry" guns have to be a mouse gun! ;)

But back to the OPs question. Did a lot of research on the .380s before buying the S&W. Most all the reviews I read about the Bersa's were positive. I'm still thinking of getting one for my Get-Home-Bag, to replace the .22 revolver that I currently keep in there.

The CC seams like a very attractive balance between size, comfort, cost and reliability.

As for the size. . . As you can see it really won't hack it as a pocket gun, because of the weight and the size, but should be a easy carry with the proper holster.

Great comparison. My big issue with the Bodyguard is its 2.75" barrel vs. 3.3" for the Bersa. Well, that and the price. Uh, and the looks.

Here's an example of what I mean -
BBTI - 380 Auto
The 2.75" Ruger gives up 10-12% in muzzle velocity vs. the 3.35" Walther, which equates to 18-22% lower energy.

A long barrel doesn't offer much advantage over an average one, but a short barrel carries a real penalty.

Im a pretty small guy and I CC the Bersa Thunder for almost 6 years. I cant tell ya how much I like/loved to CC this weapon. It was soooo comfortable IWB!! As with many small framed guns you TOTALLY for get you are even carrying after 30 min. In my humble opinion I loved the size of ther Bersa. It had enough "meat" on it for me to comfortably grip the pistol with vurtually NO kick or push on her so you can stay Center Mass for all 8 shots. Where as a 9mm or larger (for me anyway) there would be a "lag time" maybe .5 (or less) of a second that I'd have to reset before the barrel would rest back into possition.

I carry a compact .45 acp now, and I kinda laugh at myself for going from a .380 to .45. Believe me in a tense situation Im probably only going to hit the first 2 out of my 45 before I get into a 2 FOOT GROUPING at 10 yards!!! HA HA HA

Im a pretty small guy and I CC the Bersa Thunder for almost 6 years. I cant tell ya how much I like/loved to CC this weapon. It was soooo comfortable IWB!! As with many small framed guns you TOTALLY for get you are even carrying after 30 min. In my humble opinion I loved the size of ther Bersa. It had enough "meat" on it for me to comfortably grip the pistol with vurtually NO kick or push on her so you can stay Center Mass for all 8 shots. Where as a 9mm or larger (for me anyway) there would be a "lag time" maybe .5 (or less) of a second that I'd have to reset before the barrel would rest back into possition.
I carry a compact .45 acp now, and I kinda laugh at myself for going from a .380 to .45. Believe me in a tense situation Im probably only going to hit the first 2 out of my 45 before I get into a 2 FOOT GROUPING at 10 yards!!! HA HA HA

Aloha, new guy, from Aloha OR!
I made exactly the same caliber choices, interestingly enough. One thing about alternating between .380 and .45 is at least I'll never mix up the ammo.

I own a Bersa thunder and a Ruger LCP. I took my mom and my wife out to the range so they could shoot both. They both chose the LCP over the Bersa. I still like the look and feel of the Bersa but carry the LCP on a daily basis due to the size.

those small (keltec size).380s have tons of snap so the bersa would be a good choice on the recoil side but if (as with many semi autos) you limp wrist them or have to shoot from an odd position they may stove pipe on you. The used Beretta 84's that are flooding the market are in the same price range as the bersa and would likely be more forgiving to limp wristing(given beretta's open top design).

but like some others have said a revolver is a better choice for newer gun users. I like the Ruger sp101 in .357 and shooting critical defence .38's it has very little recoil and isn't too heavy for every day carry

I own a Bersa Thunder 380, A SIG P238, and a Accutek 380. I had a Ruger LCP with a CT laser and I traded it for a S&W Model 19 snubby. My EDC is a S&W 669, and the Bersa is my BUG, or used when I need to absolutly conceal that I'm carrying (Usually at Church)
My Bersa is perfect for compact carry. I've put numerous ammo types and brands thru it and it's never malfunctioned. After my first day at the range, I bought 3 additional mags for it and I have it ready to go all the time. It's very comfortable to carry, and to shoot. It has very little recoil, and fast follow up shots make it ideal for CCW. I'm keeping mine.

Regards,
Gearchecker

My pocket gun is a S&W model 12, 38 snubbie. I used to carry a keltec 380, but i didn't like hitting the mag release during firing. I will change to Kahr CW45 when i get the money. I love the 45 acp round.

I owned a Bersa 380 for some time. Great gun, easy to shoot and carry. Until the sights came loose. Screw backed out and I had to replace the darn sights. Decided to go all stainless afterwards. An older Colt 380 mustang. Smaller, not quite as easy to shoot or as accurate, but more durable.

Upcoming Events

Good News!! The Carson, WA shows are back!!
Carson, WA
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top