JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Ok, so I have been on a few kicks lately; latest gen bullpup stuff, PCCs, more big bore AR. But as with all things ADD, the next shiny is looming. I think I want to go back to collecting some older militaria. I have a few, like the M1 series (M1 Garand, M1 carbine, M1A) and a small collection of Nagants. I have a nice example of an AK-47 pattern rifle (though who could not use more of those). Of course I have a (sort of) traditional AR-15/M4ish rifle. But I kinda want more. And ho boy are there more out there. Springfields and Enfields and FALs and BARs and who knows what else. Way too many for me to focus on. So I am asking for a little help, what should I look for next?

Criteria;
  • Looking for stuff from, say, WWI up through the mid cold war (maybe, say, the '60s)
  • Needs to be iconic, either for a specific conflict or for a nation or power.
  • Should be a shooter, does not need to be original. I am mostly interested in types, not specific collectables. "Sporting" or "civilian" versions are A-OK. If you know a good make or model post it. If you know a bad make or model post that too.
  • Easy to find ammo for is a plus, but not a deal breaker.
  • Availability is a big plus. This is an ADD project. If a super rare example wins this peer pressure contest I will keep an eye out for one, but if I get distracted by the next new shiny that is on you guys for making the challenge to hard.
So tell me what you guys like, and give a thumbs up to the people suggesting the things I should look out for. Convince me what my next collectable should be.

Ok, so I have been on a few kicks lately; latest gen bullpup stuff, PCCs, more big bore AR. But as with all things ADD, the next shiny is looming. I think I want to go back to collecting some older militaria. I have a few, like the M1 series (M1 Garand, M1 carbine, M1A) and a small collection of Nagants. I have a nice example of an AK-47 pattern rifle (though who could not use more of those). Of course I have a (sort of) traditional AR-15/M4ish rifle. But I kinda want more. And ho boy are there more out there. Springfields and Enfields and FALs and BARs and who knows what else. Way too many for me to focus on. So I am asking for a little help, what should I look for next?

Criteria;
  • Looking for stuff from, say, WWI up through the mid cold war (maybe, say, the '60s)
  • Needs to be iconic, either for a specific conflict or for a nation or power.
  • Should be a shooter, does not need to be original. I am mostly interested in types, not specific collectables. "Sporting" or "civilian" versions are A-OK. If you know a good make or model post it. If you know a bad make or model post that too.
  • Easy to find ammo for is a plus, but not a deal breaker.
  • Availability is a big plus. This is an ADD project. If a super rare example wins this peer pressure contest I will keep an eye out for one, but if I get distracted by the next new shiny that is on you guys for making the challenge to hard.
So tell me what you guys like, and give a thumbs up to the people suggesting the things I should look out for. Convince me what my next collectable should be.
Browning 1919A4. Completely impractical yet gives ya a warm feeling every time you set it up!

Browning 1919A4. Completely impractical yet gives ya a warm feeling every time you set it up!
I was gong to say I will check and see how many are actually transferable on the machine gun registry, but it turns out they make a semi-auto version that is "relatively" available! I am not sure the hunt will last long before "Hey, a new shiny!" but it is super neat to know.

Mausers are great rifles. I suppose picky collectors would avoid late-war German rifles as they suffered from quality compromises, but if you can find some nice pre-war specimens in good condition, I don't think you can go wrong. If you like browsing in various LGSs in different locations, it's surprising what you can find on the rack sometimes.

Russian WW2 battlefield captures got some sloppy refinishing jobs, but at one time a lot of them were imported and they didn't cost much.

For shooters, Yugos used to be cheap and abundant. I haven't looked lately, but back when I was into collecting milsurps they came with some really nice accessories as well.

Some beautiful rifles in terms of fit and finish were produced by European manufacturers for some S. American countries.

Other than that, a quality addition would be a Springfield 1903. Originals are a bit spendy these days, but if you are not a fussy purist, there used to be quite a few nice sporterized specimens around.

I know you said WWI, but seeing as I just ordered an Enfield, Civil war weapons. I mean, who doesn't want a cannon?
Lugers
Remington 30
Trench shotguns

Since you already have the M1 series, I would say expand it with the 1903 and 1903A3 Springfield's, P17 Enfield's, 1941 Johnson, semi versions of the 1917/ 1919/ BAR. All are in 30/06.

Not a very exciting suggestion from me, however if you're collecting I would say finding an M1 Garand in .308 would be a cool addition. Not an awful lot of em but they were issued to the US Navy at one point, I believe.

I'll second trench shotguns. Way cool.

Or quit being a weeny and buy a Ma Deuce.

How about shooting some of your mil surps? You learn a lot from shooting them in a match.
Don't be afraid of the word "Match". It is just a bunch of guys and gals that like to shoot and collect
old rifles. I have shot Mosins, Mausers, O3, O3A3, 1917 Enfield's, SKS, and M1 Garands in competition.
A lot of fun and very educational. I am planning on attending the match on February 17 at ARPC.
Albany (ARPC) runs a M1 Garand Match before there service rifle match. Albany is conducting a 'Clinic'
on February 16 with the match the next day. A clinic is geared for new shooters. Excellent opportunity
to get introduced to position shooting. They have rifles to loan and ammo for the matches.
From ARPC website,
"As with most shooting sports, the people who shoot high power are very friendly and willing to help new folks. All skill levels are represented. Beginners are welcome! We attempt to squad new shooters with experienced ones. Our matches are a very good venue for new people who want to try high power shooting".

TCGC does a Vintage rifle and pistol match starting first Saturday in March. All shot at 200 yards
with pit service. First Sunday Highpower match with electronic targets.

DRRC runs service rifle clinics and matches using M1 rifles. They have rifles, spotting
scopes and shooting matts to loan. Ammo for sale for match use. Latter in the year you
can shoot an "Across the Course" match. 200-300-600 yards
You can contact the respective match directors with questions.
Picture of DRRC in the pits pulling targets.
1706195046773.png

G3 vs FAL maybe?

I don't know if there are reliable reasonably priced FAL clones, however there are for G3. PTR91.

With surplus G3 accessory stuff still around, although pricing has gone up. Some aftermarket stuff available as well.

Since you already have some Mosin Nagants, a Garand, and an M1 Carbine, I'd say look for a Chinese or Russian SKS. Ammo is still relatively cheap, and the SKS can be had for $6-$900 ea. depending.

The Chinese SKS variants were famously used by the Viet Cong.

Most WWII rifles are getting hard to find ammo and parts for. Even American rifles. If you break an extractor, for example, you will be scouring Google and plugging your cc info into some dubious websites. Maybe you get lucky and receive a part that fits and isn't rusted. I used to have many WWII rifles, but I have sold most of those and only kept the cleanest examples. They are getting too expensive to feed.

*If ammo and parts were not a consideration, however, one of my favorites is the No. 4 Enfield. Soft shooting, and great sights.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR