JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I currently own a G34. It is a longer, target oriented version in 9mm. 5" barrel. There is also the G17 long slide which I think has the longest barrel of all. However, my fav was a G19 that I owned... 3.5" barrel and a very good shooter. I shot IDPA with it all day long. I also carried with it, good for both worlds.

In case you don't already know, don't shoot lead nose bullet in the Glock polygonal rifled barrels unless you like to clean a lot. They will do it, but not for long periods.

Another handgun you might have her look at is the Ruger SR9c. I own one. It is very similar to the G19 but is designed with a slimmer grip that might suit someone with smaller hands. (I had to put a Hogue sleeve on mine since I am used to full Glock double stack grips.) They come with a 10rd and a 17rd mag. I bought an extra 17rd so I carry two on the off side. You can get matte, stainless, or black finish on the slide.

View attachment 336285
10rd mag shown

I carry one as well and have learned the 19, 26 and my Ruger all fit the same holsters, except in some cases the guard finger rest won't quite go.
One thing I found with my SR9C is even with the factory texturing the gun slipped in my hands when firing causing me to have to adjust my grip after each shot. I tried the adhesive non slip and it wouldn't stay on so I used my wood burning kit and one of the small tips and stippled all the smooth areas where my hand comes in contact, that makes it much better and easier to control and stay on target. I masked the Ruger name and carefully left it un stippled and it actually looks almost factory done, you would have to be on your toes to notice the difference except in how well it feels in your hand after its been done. I made sure to do the area on the back strap all the way up where the web between thumb and trigger finger is in contact and that really made a difference. Get some old plastic to practice on and then dimple to your hearts content. It will be a little sharp to start with but wears down a bit and is more comfortable over time and still plenty textured. I wouldn't have mine any other way. You can even get artistic if you feel like it, but I felt better just keeping the coverage complete and as random as possible. Have fun!
Gabby
Recently I was instructed HOW to rack a stiff slide! Up until I got the Ruger I was a wheel gunner, so I'm still learning on the semi autos. I have struggled with the slide forever until my best friend who is also a firearms instructor taught me how to do it almost effortlessly.
I'm sure many of you may laugh when I describe how I had been trying to operate my slide. I was using the thumb and fingers of my left hand and it was all I could do to open the slide, until he showed me to put the heel of my hand against the slide and my 4 fingers on the other side which gave much greater purchase on the slide then push your hands quickly together. WOW what a difference it makes, I was about decided to look for something easier to handle, but will be staying with the Ruger now. :D:D:D
Sign me the 74 year old wimp! :rolleyes:

Last Edited:
Another+1 for the G-19 and also for the S/W Shield! Both excellent choices. Ultimately, the shield had the edge in smaller size and weight as well as the ability to cycle the slide! Before that, the Taurus 24/7 was the carry gun of choice for my Wife!
Hard to knock a Block, reliable as they come! My G-20 has lasted pretty abusive use, and keeps on truckin, but that's a whole nother animal!
As I mentioned in the ugly guns thread this is the only reason I still have a pre great ban Ruger P-89. To me way too large and to me ugly damn pistol. It works so damn well that it was saved from sale for Wife. She is recoil sensitive but can shoot it well with +P ammo. So makes a great house gun for her when I,m at work nights. Nothing to remember other than point it at the dobad and start sending rounds. I know it will fire 16 times without stopping. It's the only reason that pistol has stayed around. :cool:

So.... you shower with it, poop with it? o_O

:D
Since I no longer make whoopee the only time mine leaves my hip is when I draw it or shower, I guess you could say when I poopie, but it is still against my leg and in reach! Kind of makes you think of the scene where the Duke is in the shower when the bad guy comes in and gets blown back out the door doesn't it? :eek::eek::eek::cool:

I carry one as well and have learned the 19, 26 and my Ruger all fit the same holsters, except in some cases the guard finger rest won't quite go.
One thing I found with my SR9C is even with the factory texturing the gun slipped in my hands when firing causing me to have to adjust my grip after each shot. I tried the adhesive non slip and it wouldn't stay on so I used my wood burning kit and one of the small tips and stippled all the smooth areas where my hand comes in contact, that makes it much better and easier to control and stay on target. I masked the Ruger name and carefully left it un stippled and it actually looks almost factory done, you would have to be on your toes to notice the difference except in how well it feels in your hand after its been done. I made sure to do the area on the back strap all the way up where the web between thumb and trigger finger is in contact and that really made a difference. Get some old plastic to practice on and then dimple to your hearts content. It will be a little sharp to start with but wears down a bit and is more comfortable over time and still plenty textured. I wouldn't have mine any other way. You can even get artistic if you feel like it, but I felt better just keeping the coverage complete and as random as possible. Have fun!
Gabby
Recently I was instructed HOW to rack a stiff slide! Up until I got the Ruger I was a wheel gunner, so I'm still learning on the semi autos. I have struggled with the slide forever until my best friend who is also a firearms instructor taught me how to do it almost effortlessly.
I'm sure many of you may laugh when I describe how I had been trying to operate my slide. I was using the thumb and fingers of my left hand and it was all I could do to open the slide, until he showed me to put the heel of my hand against the slide and my 4 fingers on the other side which gave much greater purchase on the slide then push your hands quickly together. WOW what a difference it makes, I was about decided to look for something easier to handle, but will be staying with the Ruger now. :D:D:D
Sign me the 74 year old wimp! :rolleyes:

The SR9c has a surprisingly hard to rack slide, beastly during the break-in period. I think it's due to the super tight slide fit and the 16lb stock dual spring. I bought a Galloway 14lb replacement for light loads but I'm shooting my G34 in competition now so I don't use the new spring. The Ruger now stays in my end table.

As far as stippling the grip, your problems could have been due to the slimness of the grip since the pistol was designed for extra concealment during carry. I'm glad you like your stippling job tho. It wouldn't work for me because I put a Hogue wrap on my SR9c after using it for awhile in IDPA... just couldn't get used to the slim grip. I don't even like the 1911 single stack grip. This little Ruger is a great shooter for a smallish handgun tho. My competition crowd all wanted to shoot it after seeing how well it worked for me.:cool:

I see now it's your sister in law. If you really cared you would be suggesting a Sig...... Just kidding !! Ouch, crap, hey stop throwing things at me. And you no biting..I was joking. Dang

Be sure to get her a nice holster.

IMG_0283.JPG

I would call the 46 a subcompact, and the 19 & 26 both compacts, there is so little difference between the two.

Are you referring to the 43 and 42? Glock doesn't currently make a 46.

As for the Compact vs Subcompact I am referring to how Glock defines them directly off their site the 19 is listed as a Compact, the 26 is a subcompact, and the 43 is a slimline subcompact (single stack).

Are you referring to the 43 and 42? Glock doesn't currently make a 46.

As for the Compact vs Subcompact I am referring to how Glock defines them directly off their site the 19 is listed as a Compact, the 26 is a subcompact, and the 43 is a slimline subcompact (single stack).

True it is a personal distinction of mine. To me the 19 is a full size pistol!

I was gonna come say something but after 6 pages of replies I don't think anything I could say would add much. :D
I didn't think this thread would go six pages either...:D

Thanks again to all who replied.
I learned a lot ... I also liked the humor and smart azz remarks.

We are going to the Lynden gun show this week end ... So who knows what we will see there.
Andy

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads