JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I picked up a Glock 22 .40 for really cheap from a friend in need of cash. He had put maybe 3 mags through it. I never thought about buying a Glock before that. I CC it all the time. If I scratch it I wouldn't give a crap. It's lighter than my steel frames obviously but it really does feel like its not there. Shoots just fine, and all I did to it was put brighter sights on it. Can't say I have a need to ever buy another, but I can say I have no real complaints about it.

All jokes about dropping your gun in the toilet aside ...
If she does get a CPL , we will have to go holster shopping and she will learn how to live with carrying said gun everywhere.

'Cause no one likes a drippy gun ... Wait that dosen't sound right :eek:
Andy

Take her shopping and look at a large number of pistols. A key thing that I have learned over the years is to note which pistols feel comfortable to her. If the fit is not comfortable, she will never shoot really well whatever the manufacturer's name is. Does she have small, medium or large size hands? Fit the pistol to her hand.

And don't lean toward munchkin guns unless concealability is key issue. I work hundreds of hours each year as an RSO at Emerald Empire in Springfield. It continues to amaze me how many people buy little Rugers on sale and then take them back when they shoot them. Munchkin guns are not so comfortable to shoot because people can't wrap their entire hands around them and absorb a greater part of recoil. Cute appearance does not generally equate with comfort.

Glocks are a good choice, but I would add these to the list of pistols to look at:

CZ P-07 (great choice!)
Grand Power P11 and C380

My sister has a Glock 43 that required mag extensions to make it comfortable. Despite this, she consistently shoots better with my P-07. The CZ is not a superior gun to the Glock, but it has better ergonomics and is simply a better fit to her hand. The pistols are of very similar size, although the P-07 holds 15 rounds of 9mm vs. 8 rounds with the extended mag. And the SA/DA trigger allows you to re-fire in the event of a light primer strike, rather than to be forced to tap and rack.

As for the Grand Powers, that rotating barrel really does change recoil positively and they just don't wear down like conventional blow backs. Great pistols, both with 12 round capacity. Something to think about.

CZ-P07-Duty-courtesy-dutraarms.com_.jpg pll.jpg

Take her shopping and look at a large number of pistols. A key thing that I have learned over the years is to note which pistols feel comfortable to her. If the fit is not comfortable, she will never shoot really well whatever the manufacturer's name is. Does she have small, medium or large size hands? Fit the pistol to her hand.

And don't lean toward munchkin guns unless concealability is key issue. I work hundreds of hours each year as an RSO at Emerald Empire in Springfield. It continues to amaze me how many people buy little Rugers on sale and then take them back when they shoot them. Munchkin guns are not so comfortable to shoot because people can't wrap their entire hands around them and absorb a greater part of recoil. Cute appearance does not generally equate with comfort.

Glocks are a good choice, but I would add these to the list of pistols to look at:

CZ P-07 (great choice!)
Grand Power P11 and C380

My sister has a Glock 43 that required mag extensions to make it comfortable. Despite this, she consistently shoots better with my P-07. The CZ is not a superior gun to the Glock, but it has better ergonomics and is simply a better fit to her hand. The pistols are of very similar size, although the P-07 holds 15 rounds of 9mm vs. 8 rounds with the extended mag. And the SA/DA trigger allows you to re-fire in the event of a light primer strike, rather than to be forced to tap and rack.

As for the Grand Powers, that rotating barrel really does change recoil positively and they just don't wear down like conventional blow backs. Great pistols, both with 12 round capacity. Something to think about.

View attachment 337537 View attachment 337538
Good list.
I would add the newly released CZ P-10 C to the list.
CZ's entry into striker fired pistols.

First off I never thought I'd type that title...:D
But its not for me.
My Sister In Law is a looking to get a handgun for the first time.
We have discussed if she is going to carry it or not ... right now she in not sure if she is.
She has shot a Glock before , but is unsure of what model.
It was in .9mm.
She said she liked it and hit well with it.
What she wants is a "basic" self defense pistol*...

So not being a "Glock Guy" I have a few questions:
Is there a basic model in .9mm ?
Are there any models / vintages that she should avoid?
On that note ... if so how does one tell what vintage to avoid?
What are good prices on new and used Glocks?
Will a off the shelf Glock feed self defense rounds without going to a gunsmith first?
( hollow points etc... I know every gun is different , just asking as general rule )

Thank you.
Andy
* note:
My Sister in Law is not opposed to a different type of gun ( yay! :D )
We will be looking at different pistols and revolvers so she can have more options.
But she liked the Glock she shot and that's our starting point.
Mostly I don't want her to be ripped off in price and that she gets a gun that she can use well.
( even if I don't care for it.:) )

She has shot before , but never really took a interest.
Besides coming to me and learning my bad habits , she will sign up for a handgun course.

Andy,
Just my 2 cents but my daughter-in-law picked the Walther PPQ in 9mm. Reasons: should could pull the slide back with ease as opposed to all the other semi autos and with the smaller grip choices, the frame fit her better then the Glocks and the light recoil of the 9mm eliminated most of her flinching. Cost was comparable to Glocks. Best for her to find a gun store that has a range and test one.

Andy,
Just my 2 cents but my daughter-in-law picked the Walther PPQ in 9mm. Reasons: should could pull the slide back with ease as opposed to all the other semi autos and with the smaller grip choices, the frame fit her better then the Glocks and the light recoil of the 9mm eliminated most of her flinching. Cost was comparable to Glocks. Best for her to find a gun store that has a range and test one.
A friend just bought a PPQ-M2 and loves it.
A very good design.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR