JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
When I holster my loaded or unloaded Ruger which I carry with the thumb safety OFF, I always place my trigger finger on the top of the slide, and my middle finger hooked over the guard that way neither finger can go inside the guard by accident. The trigger has the safety in it just like the Glock and CAN'T fire without your finger on the trigger depressing the center nub.

I always practice safe handling because when I was 17 I too shot myself in the leg, caused by a faulty fitting holster which caught the front sight and by my thumb on the hammer and my finger inside the guard. Sound familiar Queeks draw? :eek::confused:o_O
Fortunately for me it was only a 22, if it had been a large center fire it would have destroyed my knee joint. As it was it knocked my leg from under me and I ended up rather quickly flat on my face, scared the shiest out of me because I have a tendency toward passing out when injured, I guess I was scared enough to raise my blood pressure and I made it safely to my DR's office without fainting. So first of all is SAFE GUN HANDLING, over any mechanical safety that will prevent perforating your anatomy! :cool:
There you have it!
Gabby

Wow, scary episode, glad it wasn't worse!

Yep, proper gear, proper training, and an attitude that takes guns seriously should be enough to eliminate pretty much any AD/ND from happening. No one should have their finger on a trigger when holstering, and you should be paying attention to clothing getting caught in the trigger guard too. Again, going back to my training, they made the point that while we many need to draw rapidly in a self-defense scenario, there should be no scenario where we have to rush re-holstering. Be deliberate, be slow, be careful. Relying on any safety to protect you from yourself is a dangerous proposal and can lead to people taking unnecessary risks or chances, or even worse, letting down your guard.

The best safety is the one between your ears :)

OK so what does Captain O stand for you naughty boy. :eek::eek::eek::eek::D

Truth be told, it stands for my Federally Copyrighted image of Captain Obvious (Copyrighted 2011). I stood in ecru colored tights with Earth Brown briefs and cape. I have Captain Obvious across my chest and perform while in costume.

No joke, true story.

Faster than a speeding insult... more powerful than an ulterior motive... able to leap to conclusions in a single bound... it's, CAPTAIN OBVIOUS!

Last Edited:
Truth be told, it stands for my Federally Copyrighted image of Captain Obvious (Copyrighted 2011). I stood in ecru colored tights with Earth Brown briefs and cape. I have Captain Obvious across my chest and perform while in costume.

No joke, true story.

Here I thought it should have been spelled differently, starting Org blankety blank blank LOL
Now I'm the naughty one.:p

Not the guy on the commercial either? Do you get royalties ?

No, different image. When I perform it is on stage. I'm a mimic/voice talent/impersonator. I engage in insult humor, political humor, conservative social commentary and critical social insights If I don't go back to the stage, I'll go back to radio and comedic comment. (Age discrimination is a real problem these days).

No, different image. When I perform it is on stage. I'm a mimic/voice talent/impersonator. I engage in insult humor, political humor, conservative social commentary and critical social insights If I don't go back to the stage, I'll go back to radio and comedic comment. (Age discrimination is a real problem these days).

Wish I could get paid for being a smart a$$. I could buy a Glock.

I have nearly two college degrees and I have a hard time finding work. It isn't as easy as it looks. I began performing at the age of 13 (that was in 1968).

In the immortal words of the late George Burns, "Show business is a bi#ch goddess."

I'll go back to show business after my mouth has healed from having all my teeth removed and my mouth has been fitted for dentures. Trust me, I'm not looking forward to this.

The reason for this is I have more than 1000 postcards with my costumed image on them with this printed on them. My costumed image had been Federally copyrighted since February of 1991.

Yes, I am, in fact, CAPTAIN OBVIOUS!

Haha! Let's see one!!

Haha! Let's see one!!

My Federal Copyright Registration number is: VA 1-772-562. I have my images on a disc, but no way to post it on the internet. I posted it on another firearms Forum and they abused it. As a result, I had to threaten legal action. This ended in my being banned from the Forum.

All of my postcards are in my storage unit in Milwaukie, OR. IF you want to make arrangements to transfer my images for your private viewing, this would be acceptable.

Let me know.

When my wife decided to buy a Glock (She hated her S&W SD9 VE) she tried both 17 and 19 models in Gen 3 and Gen 4. I was certain she would get a 19 as she is altitude impaired 5'2", but no she selected the G-17 Gen 4

First off I never thought I'd type that title...:D
But its not for me.
My Sister In Law is a looking to get a handgun for the first time.
We have discussed if she is going to carry it or not ... right now she in not sure if she is.
She has shot a Glock before , but is unsure of what model.
It was in .9mm.
She said she liked it and hit well with it.
What she wants is a "basic" self defense pistol*...

So not being a "Glock Guy" I have a few questions:
Is there a basic model in .9mm ?
Are there any models / vintages that she should avoid?
On that note ... if so how does one tell what vintage to avoid?
What are good prices on new and used Glocks?
Will a off the shelf Glock feed self defense rounds without going to a gunsmith first?
( hollow points etc... I know every gun is different , just asking as general rule )

Thank you.
Andy
* note:
My Sister in Law is not opposed to a different type of gun ( yay! :D )
We will be looking at different pistols and revolvers so she can have more options.
But she liked the Glock she shot and that's our starting point.
Mostly I don't want her to be ripped off in price and that she gets a gun that she can use well.
( even if I don't care for it.:) )

She has shot before , but never really took a interest.
Besides coming to me and learning my bad habits , she will sign up for a handgun course.

Glock makes a good product and she could certainly do worse for a first pistol. I tend to recommend full size pistols for first time gun owners. They're usually easier and more pleasant to shoot and that's key for a new shooter. So that's a Glock 17. If she is thinking about carrying it at all then a Glock 19 would be a decent balance between shootability and concealability.

The best advice I can give you guys, however, is go find a range with a good rental counter. You'll sort out more in an afternoon than anything we can tell you here...and it will be fun! Striker pistols are a great choice for a first time gun owner due to their simplicity and reliability (generally). At a minimum I'd rent some Glocks, M&P's and Springfields. Can't go wrong with any of them. Go with the one that fits her hand the best and that she shoots the best.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top