JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
She could do worse than a Glock... and I have a G-21 I carry BUT the LACK OF A MANUAL or grip SAFETY really does put me off getting anymore of this make or type. Seems like that could be an issue for a new shooter.... an :eek: AD to the leg while holstering might put some folks off the brand...
Maybe a Springer XD would be a better choice..? Or even a S&W .38 revolver? Just thinkin out loud here...

She could do worse than a Glock... and I have a G-21 I carry BUT the LACK OF A MANUAL or grip SAFETY really does put me off getting anymore of this make or type. Seems like that could be an issue for a new shooter.... an :eek: AD to the leg while holstering might put some folks off the brand...
Maybe a Springer XD would be a better choice..? Or even a S&W .38 revolver? Just thinkin out loud here...

Considering guns without a manual or grip safety have been around for decades now, I would think if this were a big problem, we would already know about it.

Regardless of gun type or safeties, it's a good idea for any gun owner, especially newbies, to get at least some basic training from an experienced shooter or instructor on the safe handling of their gun of choice. Safeties will fail you too if you don't have safe handling techniques.

Wow, so many replies! I apologize if my two cents has already been shared. As a newer female shooter, based on my experience I would recommend a few things. Shoot several guns before deciding what to buy. Take 'at the least' a beginning, an intermediate, and a carrying class. Also, the gun she learns with (takes classes with and practices with) might not be the gun she decides to carry. I shoot my glock 19 the most, and I love it, but if and when I'm ready to carry it will probably be a smaller 38 revolver. A revolver because of the reliability. The smaller carrying guns are a pain in the bubblegum to shoot compared to something larger like a glock 19/17 (I know the glock 19/17 aren't that big, but they're larger than a compact carrying gun), so she should think about getting a "larger" gun first to learn on, then later she can decide what to buy to carry. Hope this helps!

Considering guns without a manual or grip safety have been around for decades now, I would think if this were a big problem, we would already know about it.

Regardless of gun type or safeties, it's a good idea for any gun owner, especially newbies, to get at least some basic training from an experienced shooter or instructor on the safe handling of their gun of choice. Safeties will fail you too if you don't have safe handling techniques.

A LOT of the early problems with Glocks and this "they just fired" were Cops. They went from D/A wheel guns to Glock. The first one I ever shot had a real nice trigger. This was the problem. Lack of training to the new. So they started making the triggers much worse to keep the guys from setting off a round. To my way of thinking this was NOT the way to solve the problem.

A LOT of the early problems with Glocks and this "they just fired" were Cops. They went from D/A wheel guns to Glock. The first one I ever shot had a real nice trigger. This was the problem. Lack of training to the new. So they started making the triggers much worse to keep the guys from setting off a round. To my way of thinking this was NOT the way to solve the problem.

It seems there's a lot of room on what people consider a safe trigger. I personally don't like super lite trigger on my home defense or CC pistols. I would hate to shoot someone by accident. And when it's your only safety how light trigger pull is, well that's your choice.

1911 Accidental Discharge (manual safety and grip safety). Safety should not come off until your firearm is moving towards the target. And finger discipline FAIL:

I've seen that one before, it's a good reminder.

Speaking of ND's, I like to refer folks back to this little gem - luckiest SOB on the planet, not a pistol, but still good to remember - guns are danergous:

It seems there's a lot of room on what people consider a safe trigger. I personally don't like super lite trigger on my home defense or CC pistols. I would hate to shoot someone by accident. And when it's your only safety how light trigger pull is, well that's your choice.

In the training classes I've had, up through Defensive Handgun 2, the rule is always finger off the trigger until you're ready to engage the actual threat, until then, finger is outside the trigger housing - and it is very easy to simply move onto the trigger when the need is there. With that in mind, I don't see that trigger weight has much of an effect, though I find an overly heavy trigger to make it more likely I may pull off target than a lighter trigger.

In the training classes I've had, up through Defensive Handgun 2, the rule is always finger off the trigger until you're ready to engage the actual threat, until then, finger is outside the trigger housing - and it is very easy to simply move onto the trigger when the need is there. With that in mind, I don't see that trigger weight has much of an effect, though I find an overly heavy trigger to make it more likely I may pull off target than a lighter trigger.
That is exactly the problem with what they did to many of the Glock triggers. Did not make the pistol safer. Did make it much harder to hit what you shot at though.

What it comes down to is still the LACK OF A SAFETY. The trigger is far too easy to engage while holstering and the accident count.. the AD's- and YES, I said "AD", not the newspeak PC term "ND"- are high enuff to give one pause. It is IMO a flaw in the design. I own a G21 and have never been comfortable with that "feature", altho in other respects it seems to be a decent firearm. When opportunity presents itself it WILL go down the road.:D
Never cared for the fact that cast bullets are verboten... cramps my reloading $$. Pay out the wazoo for a rifled barrel? Really??
Have considered paying to have an aftermarket safety installed, but am unsure of the quality and efficacy of those available and I do hesitate to mess with the original condition of the piece.
Doubtful I will ever buy another Glock!:s0121:

What it comes down to is still the LACK OF A SAFETY. The trigger is far too easy to engage while holstering and the accident count.. the AD's- and YES, I said "AD", not the newspeak PC term "ND"- are high enuff to give one pause. It is IMO a flaw in the design. I own a G21 and have never been comfortable with that "feature", altho in other respects it seems to be a decent firearm. When opportunity presents itself it WILL go down the road.:D
Never cared for the fact that cast bullets are verboten... cramps my reloading $$. Pay out the wazoo for a rifled barrel? Really??
Have considered paying to have an aftermarket safety installed, but am unsure of the quality and efficacy of those available and I do hesitate to mess with the original condition of the piece.

Whatever melts your butter, pal.

Well rather you like it or not it is NEGLIGENCE and is not an accident
You would be negligent in having your finger in the way when you put your gun in the holster
I might suggest you don't carry any weapon if you can do this
And please don't buy or ever carry another glock....or any gun for that matter.

When I holster my loaded or unloaded Ruger which I carry with the thumb safety OFF, I always place my trigger finger on the top of the slide, and my middle finger hooked over the guard that way neither finger can go inside the guard by accident. The trigger has the safety in it just like the Glock and CAN'T fire without your finger on the trigger depressing the center nub.

I always practice safe handling because when I was 17 I too shot myself in the leg, caused by a faulty fitting holster which caught the front sight and by my thumb on the hammer and my finger inside the guard. Sound familiar Queeks draw? :eek::confused:o_O
Fortunately for me it was only a 22, if it had been a large center fire it would have destroyed my knee joint. As it was it knocked my leg from under me and I ended up rather quickly flat on my face, scared the shiest out of me because I have a tendency toward passing out when injured, I guess I was scared enough to raise my blood pressure and I made it safely to my DR's office without fainting. So first of all is SAFE GUN HANDLING, over any mechanical safety that will prevent perforating your anatomy! :cool:
There you have it!
Gabby

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews