JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
First off I never thought I'd type that title...:D
But its not for me.
My Sister In Law is a looking to get a handgun for the first time.
We have discussed if she is going to carry it or not ... right now she in not sure if she is.
She has shot a Glock before , but is unsure of what model.
It was in .9mm.
She said she liked it and hit well with it.
What she wants is a "basic" self defense pistol*...

So not being a "Glock Guy" I have a few questions:
Is there a basic model in .9mm ?
Are there any models / vintages that she should avoid?
On that note ... if so how does one tell what vintage to avoid?
What are good prices on new and used Glocks?
Will a off the shelf Glock feed self defense rounds without going to a gunsmith first?
( hollow points etc... I know every gun is different , just asking as general rule )

Thank you.
Andy
* note:
My Sister in Law is not opposed to a different type of gun ( yay! :D )
We will be looking at different pistols and revolvers so she can have more options.
But she liked the Glock she shot and that's our starting point.
Mostly I don't want her to be ripped off in price and that she gets a gun that she can use well.
( even if I don't care for it.:) )

She has shot before , but never really took a interest.
Besides coming to me and learning my bad habits , she will sign up for a handgun course.

Glocks come pretty basic as it is. The only real differences might be types of sights or frame color or an RMR cut-out (known as MOS on a Glock).

A Glock will eat whatever ammo you feed it. Another reason they are so popular. Not much to worry about there. The only issues I've seen with stock guns is with weak ammo. As long as she shoots good factory ammo, she will be fine.

Good prices for a new, standard Glock 19 or Glock 17, is $550 or so. Numbers I generally see are $559 to $629. I wouldn't pay more than $500 for an immaculate used Glock 17 or 19. I just dont understand how one of the most popular and currently mass produced pistols seem to appreciate once used. Odd.

I would stick to Gen 3 or Gen 4 guns. Gen 3 guns have finger grooves and a rail/slot through the dust cover for mounting lights or lasers. Gen 4s have less pronounced finger grooves, but a much rougher texture on the grip. They also have double recoil springs and seem to shoot a bit softer. Gen 4s also have backstrap mods for different sized hands. Its also stamped GEN4 on the slide if there is any confusion.

If she is only using it for home defense, I'd suggest the full size Glock 17 or even the longer Glock 34. They are easy to shoot well. Some people consider the Glock 19, which is a compact, to be viable as a full-grown pistol and I agree. The grip hump suits some people better than the full size guns. The Glock 26 is a double stack sub-compact which shoots better than you would think. I shoot a 26 every bit as well as a 19. However, the recoil spring is stiff and the slide can be more difficult to manipulate as a result. The 43 is a single stack sub-compact that is easy to hide. If she will conceal carry, its a great option. I just find the bigger models easier to shoot well and control. If she isn't carrying it, go with the larger models. The 17,19,26,34 and 43 are all in 9x19.

Wow, and here I thought you were coming into the 21st century Andy! I should have known it was just a tease ;)

@No_Regerts covered it pretty well. I would agree, if she's not planning to carry, she will probably find the larger model such as the 17 or 34 more enjoyable to shoot. I took my sister out to the range to shoot some 9mm pistols for the first time last year, she definitely preferred larger models over the more compact carry style. That said, she may manage a 19 just fine - probably best to let her actually shoot some to find out.

Having owned Gen 2, 3 and 4 models, I've found, personally, that I prefer the Gen 3 models. Mostly because I like the fit over the Gen 4, which some might find interesting considering the replaceable back straps on the Gen 4 models, allowing you to customize the fit.

As for ammo, I've shot a wide variety in mine, from expensive defensive type hollow-points to cheap Winchester White Box and factory reloads - I've never had a single hitch in a single Glock. And that right there is why I think so many folks like them - yeah, they may be ugly (I kind of like how they look, even with the Pig Nose), but they work, and if you're going to bet your life on a gun, it's important to know you can trust it.

Definitely get her to a range where they rent guns and let her try shooting it herself. Then, once she chooses a gun, strongly encourage her to take a defensive shooting class. She will do well to learn the proper grip, stance, etc., but also to learn things like how to clear a jam, if it happens, so she's not left with an ugly brick.

Thanks etrain...
With this thread I might have to turn in my President of the I love Muzzleloaders club card here at NorthWestFirearms ...:D

We will go out and shoot some different models of Glocks and other guns that catch her interest.
Also she will go to a class of some sort.
So far she has asked some good questions of me about pistol shooting , self defense and even if she should get a gun...
We will see.
Thanks again for your advice .. it helps.
Andy

As was said a Glock 19 would be a good option I would look at the Gen 4 as their grips without any back straps are slightly smaller then the gen 3 grips so if she has smaller hands that will be the best grip for her. The 19 is a mid size pistol so its a little smaller than the full size 17 but larger than the sub compact 26. She can always utilize larger capacity magazines but it is slightly more concealable if she ever decides she wants to do that.

If Glock isn't her only choice, I can recommend another favorite - the Smith & Wesson M&P 9. My carry gun is an M&P 9c (compact) and my bedside gun is an M&P 40 (full size, .40SW). From an ergonomics/comfort standpoint, I find it even more comfortable than the Glock, more natural in the hand. And, every bit as reliable. Plus, I do think they're a little nicer looking than the Glock :s0030:

In the 9mm family:

G17= full size/duty pistol (not as easy to ccw)

G19.3/4 (gen 4 is my favorite)= compact/duty/ccw pistol

G26= sub-compact ccw double-stack pistol (meh)

G43= compact ccw single-stack pistol. (easy to daily ccw as a PDW)

I own G19.3, G19.4, G30 (sub-compact .45ACP), and G43, and if your going with a Glock then I suggest either/or a G19.3 or G19.4 (little spendier than G19.3), AND/OR a G43.

All the females in my household (four of them) shoot those two very nicely. ;)

Last Edited:
In the 9mm family:

G17= full size/duty pistol (not as easy to ccw)

G19.3/4 (gen 4 is my favorite)= sub-compact duty/ccw pistol

G26= compact ccw double-stack pistol (meh)

G43= compact ccw single-stack pistol. (easy to daily ccw as a PDW)

I own G19.3, G19.4, G30 (sub-compact .45ACP), and G43, and if your going with a Glock then I suggest either/or a G19.3 or G19.4 (little spendier than G19.3), AND/OR a G43.

All the females in my household (four of them) shoot those two very nicely. ;)

Minor correction the 19 is a Compact and the 26 is a subcompact

I'd have her shoot one first. I went to get my wife a Glock & while shooting it, I placed a dummy round in the mag. She didn't have the hand strength to cycle the weapon...She ended up with a .38 Special LCR...she loves it.

I'd have her shoot one first. I went to get my wife a Glock & while shooting it, I placed a dummy round in the mag. She didn't have the hand strength to cycle the weapon...She ended up with a .38 Special LCR...she loves it.

I bought my wife a G19.3 and handed it to her, she got all pissy and started going on about how I should have included her, it should have been her choice (yadda yadda) just as she put the thing in her hand she went from :mad: to :D THANK YOU, HONEY!!

I was all like... :rolleyes:

Then I was... :s0112:

Then she was all like...:s0109:

Then she picked up the G19.3 and was all.... :s0080:

I bought my wife a G19.3 and handed it to her, she got all pissy and started going on about how I should have included her, it should have been her choice (yadda yadda) just as she put the thing in her hand she went from :mad: to :D THANK YOU, HONEY!!

I was all like... :rolleyes:

Then I was... :s0112:

Then she was all like...:s0109:

Then she picked up the G19.3 and was all.... :s0080:

:s0140:

That's some quality funny sh1te right there.

I'd really recommend the Handgun Safety Seminar ($75) from Firearms Academy of Seattle. I personally feel a seminar like FAS's should be mandatory for a CCW permit. It's a bit of a drive but between the safety seminar and their Concealed Carry 101 she should feel comfortable carrying daily and get plenty of good instruction and practice. The Firearms Academy of Seattle, Inc.

There were a few people in my basic handgun classes that had trouble racking the slide on smaller guns. Smaller gun=shorter recoil spring=stiffer recoil spring.

I'm actually purchasing my first glock soon as I'm taking a class that uses G17 UTM guns so I'd like to familiarize myself with it. My pinky sits on the mag plate for a G19 but for someone with normal sized hands the G19 seems to fit everyone very well. A lot of people have the grip on their 17's cut down to 19 length so it's smaller and can take Glock 19 mags.

Good prices for a new, standard Glock 19 or Glock 17, is $550 or so. Numbers I generally see are $559 to $629. I wouldn't pay more than $500 for an immaculate used Glock 17 or 19. I just dont understand how one of the most popular and currently mass produced pistols seem to appreciate once used. Odd.
I shoot at the Seattle Police Athletic Association so their retail Glock prices for civilians are a lot less than everywhere else and frequently less than used one which pop up on here.

I just bought my first plastic fantastic for CC.
Wanted a single-stacker for the conceal-ability and ended up with a PPS-M2.
Recently introduced and winning most of the "shootouts" between the other popular single stackers. (M&P Shield, Glock 43 and Ruger LC9s).

Walther PPS-M2 (8 rd mag shown)
PPS-M2.jpg
And the dang thing is accurate (50 feet)
First Target- I.jpg

I currently own a G34. It is a longer, target oriented version in 9mm. 5" barrel. There is also the G17 long slide which I think has the longest barrel of all. However, my fav was a G19 that I owned... 3.5" barrel and a very good shooter. I shot IDPA with it all day long. I also carried with it, good for both worlds.

In case you don't already know, don't shoot lead nose bullet in the Glock polygonal rifled barrels unless you like to clean a lot. They will do it, but not for long periods.

Another handgun you might have her look at is the Ruger SR9c. I own one. It is very similar to the G19 but is designed with a slimmer grip that might suit someone with smaller hands. (I had to put a Hogue sleeve on mine since I am used to full Glock double stack grips.) They come with a 10rd and a 17rd mag. I bought an extra 17rd so I carry two on the off side. You can get matte, stainless, or black finish on the slide.

IMG_5901__39829.1377979838.1280.1280.JPG
10rd mag shown

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR