JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Huh , I have found the opposite to be true.
In my experience when teaching new shooters , most have found the double action revolver easier to use and not as complex as a semi auto pistol.

Of course both have their strengths and weakness and we will handle / shoot both types.
After all its her gun and she needs to like it and be good with it not me.
Andy

You are talking about shooting on a square range, I'm talking about fighting for your life. The long hard DA pull makes fast, accurate shots difficult unless one is well practiced, also the reload process is very complex and difficult do when stressors are present. The simplicity of revolvers is a surface deep illusion. Mechanically when a revolver goes down they are not rapidly and easily brought back into the fight, with an auto...tap, rack, bang will take care of most malfunctions, which are rare with modern autos.

I have had four combat tours so I think I know a bit about fighting for my life.
Plus you really don't know just how I am going to teach or just what I will suggest to my Sister in Law.

Thank you for your opinion ... But I still disagree.
Andy

You are talking about shooting on a square range, I'm talking about fighting for your life. The long hard DA pull makes fast, accurate shots difficult unless one is well practiced, also the reload process is very complex and difficult do when stressors are present. The simplicity of revolvers is a surface deep illusion. Mechanically when a revolver goes down they are not rapidly and easily brought back into the fight, with an auto...tap, rack, bang will take care of most malfunctions, which are rare with modern autos.

I here what your saying.

But many autos have a long double action trigger for first or all shots. Beretta 92 for example.
And tap, rack, bang is not nearly as simple as. ''Pull the trigger again''. o_O

You got me on fast reload. ;)

Another+1 for the G-19 and also for the S/W Shield! Both excellent choices. Ultimately, the shield had the edge in smaller size and weight as well as the ability to cycle the slide! Before that, the Taurus 24/7 was the carry gun of choice for my Wife!
Hard to knock a Block, reliable as they come! My G-20 has lasted pretty abusive use, and keeps on truckin, but that's a whole nother animal!

But many autos have a long double action trigger for first or all shots. Beretta 92 for example.

Those are so '80s, modern striker fired pistol don't have that "problem".

And tap, rack, bang is not nearly as simple as. ''Pull the trigger again''. o_O

Which does nothing if...
You out of ammo (now it is time for one of those pesky reloads)
Pulled bullets seizes the cylinder (I've had it happen)
Burst primer locks the action
Case rim gets caught under the ejector.

I have had four combat tours so I think I know a bit about fighting for my life.
Plus you really don't know just how I am going to teach or just what I will suggest to my Sister in Law.

Thank you for your opinion ... But I still disagree.
Andy
Couple things to keep in mind with these new-age, striker fire rigs..
Trigger pull is the same from the first shot to the last.
They're not DA in that the striker is partially cocked and the act of pulling the trigger completes the process.

My PPS-M2 has a 6# trigger pull and no conventional safety.
It has a Glock-type blade safety built into the trigger bow.
The controls are very simple....you simply draw and pull the trigger.
No conventional safety to worry about turning on or off.

Some people just have to have a conventional safety, so some mfrs like S&W will offer a no safety or safety version of the same gun.

I would not want. If I am going to carry a striker fire for self defense, I want it to just run when I pull the trigger.

The angled control not labeled is the takedown "button". You pinch from both sides and pull down.
The slide stop/slide release can be seen as well as the blade safety and mag release.
21 oz empty and the recoil impulse is mild, IMO.
Walther_PPS-M2_Feature-Graphic_29NOV16.jpg
The PPS-M2 LE (law enforcement) comes with a 6rd, 7rd and 8rd mags and night sights.
The standard version comes with a 6rd and 7rd mags.
The grip feel changes with each mag size. My big mitts like the 8rd....feels like a full size pistol.
The M2 is an improved version of the original PPS-M1.

I'll probably never buy another striker fire rig, but I actually like this one.
Heavy metal DA/SA is my calling.

Edit:
These little single-stackers conceal well.
For some women though, the deal-breaker is going to be "racking the slide".
They just don't like to have to deal with the slide, so they settle on a revolver.

Last Edited:
*Sigh*
This posting goes out to no one in particular , but I feel I need to say it again,

I will make sure my Sister in Law gets a handgun that she likes and one that she can and is willing to use.
She will also be taught and shown various guns , and ways of shooting , clearing , reloading etc ..
We will indeed go over the strengths and weaknesses of each choice.

As I said a few times before : she needs to be the one who can use it , not me. ( or anyone else )
This may mean that her choice is a gun that I don't care for ( or anyone else )
What is important is that she is happy in her choice.
With a modern made revolver or pistol she has plenty of options ... why limit her to just my
( or your ) likes and experiences?
Andy

Those are so '80s, modern striker fired pistol don't have that "problem".

Which does nothing if...
You out of ammo (now it is time for one of those pesky reloads)
Pulled bullets seizes the cylinder (I've had it happen)
Burst primer locks the action
Case rim gets caught under the ejector.

Pulled bullets are not normally a problem unless you shoot a light titanium gun. Or led bullets.
Most jacketed loads with a good crimp you've tested. Are never going to have this problem.

Burst primer? Really?
Maybe once every 10,000 rounds? And even so, this could just as likely flow into an auto guns firing pin hole and prevent a primer strike.

Reloading problems and difficulty reloading? I already gave you that one. ;)

But hand a person a 5 or 6 shot revolver?
And it's very likely it will go bang 5 or 6 times. :D

You cant limp wrist a revolver.
A revolver dose not need the previous round to feed, fire, and eject to go bang.
If you do get a dud or light primer strike. Pull the trigger again. o_O

*Sigh*
This posting goes out to no one in particular , but I feel I need to say it again,

I will make sure my Sister in Law gets a handgun that she likes and one that she can and is willing to use.
She will also be taught and shown various guns , and ways of shooting , clearing , reloading etc ..

As I said a few times before : she needs to be the one who can use it , not me. ( or anyone else )
With a modern made revolver or pistol she has plenty of options ... why limit her to just my
Andy
She should get whatever she wants and likes no matter how lame it might be to all of us Tier-1 tactical commAndos

*Sigh*

Andy

Ya.......But we want to argue. :D

But, But, But..............aw shucks, I was waitin for some more action:D
Seriously, Andy this is the best thing you can do, get as many different guns in her hands as possable, I bet she suprises us all, and I am betting there will be some pretty big grins and virtual high fives all round!
:s0104:

My cousin she is a porole officer in southern California she carrying GLOCK 19 LOL I told her I have GLOCK 22 she said she would carry one of those but the state buys her gun so she has to carry the 9mm G19 but she said she would rather have a 40 or 45 mmmm what to do

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top