JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Great video, lots of information.

You might be interested in precisionrifleblog.com

Go to the bottom of the site, to the catagories, to ballistics, to 'how much does it matter'. This will tell you how improving different aspects of your shooting will effect your chances of an accurate shot. Example, would more precise handloads give you more accuracy that more practice at reading the wind?

As anybody who shoots at longer ranges will tell you -

1. You can trust your gun. It's a given.

2. You can trust your ammunition, after all, you made it precisely to suit your gun, right?

3. You can trust your optics.

4. You can trust, after MUCHO practice, your technique.

BUT -

5. You can NEVER trust the wind.

I once watched a very fine shooter taking shots across two canyons at around 1500 yards with a .338LM AI.

His first shot got the clang he expected.

His second shot, ten seconds later, was fifteen feet to the left.

His third shot, another ten seconds later, was almost the same distance over the top, and right.

What he didn't know was the presence of a third, wind-funelling canyon that made most every shot taken after ten a.m. a matter of pot luck.

I've recently been bitten by the "Long Distance Shooting" bug, I found this video helpful for the beginner like me. Thought I'd pass it along.

Note that the guy from Griffin Armaments states that Nightforce scopes using the second focal plane system are only representative of the MIL at their maximum magnification.

This is not true.

My 8-32 NSX scopes have a separate un-numbered hash-mark on the zoom ring - at around x22 - that identifies the correct correlation point. At that magnification the reticle MIL dots are representing 1 MIL and may be used for ranging. Handily, ~22 is a useful magnification for all ranges out to my maximum known targets, about 900m or so.

Last Edited:
I did the whole long range thing. Once I was done consistently hitting at 1000 yards on a 12" plate, it got rather boring. Most just keep going further, I sold the gun and got out of the cartridge. Once your rifle, ammo and techniques are dialed in, it gets pretty simple to make hits. I guess finding a windier place to shoot could add a new challenge to the feat.

I enjoy long range shooting now with calibers not meant for long range shooting. If I were to go back to 1k, I'll try to do it this time with 223 vs 308. Until then 500-800 yards with my 223 guns is very enjoyable shooting. As is 100-300 with my 22s.

Enjoy the journey! It is an enjoyable experience and if your reloading your own ammo, it is very enjoyable crafting rounds to be near identical and capable. I think the reloading aspect of long range shooting is the more enjoyable part of it, at least it was for myself.

I did the whole long range thing. Once I was done consistently hitting at 1000 yards on a 12" plate, it got rather boring. Most just keep going further, I sold the gun and got out of the cartridge. Once your rifle, ammo and techniques are dialed in, it gets pretty simple to make hits. I guess finding a windier place to shoot could add a new challenge to the feat.

I enjoy long range shooting now with calibers not meant for long range shooting. If I were to go back to 1k, I'll try to do it this time with 223 vs 308. Until then 500-800 yards with my 223 guns is very enjoyable shooting. As is 100-300 with my 22s.

Enjoy the journey! It is an enjoyable experience and if your reloading your own ammo, it is very enjoyable crafting rounds to be near identical and capable. I think the reloading aspect of long range shooting is the more enjoyable part of it, at least it was for myself.

1. Stop shooting prone!!
  2. Start shooting unknown distance
  3. Add wind to the mix
  4. Add movement
  5. Introduce a time component

OR...start shooting prone. 1000 meters is ~90 yards harder. 1100 meters in the mountains or open country is more problematic than 1000 yards at a bench rest (if applicable) at a range.

1000 yards while laudable, is considered medium long range in some calibers.

OR...start shooting prone. 1000 meters is ~90 yards harder. 1100 meters in the mountains or open country is more problematic than 1000 yards at a bench rest (if applicable) at a range.

1000 yards while laudable, is considered medium long range in some calibers.

Operating off the assumption that someone wasn't shooting off a bench, but yes when learning start prone to get fundamentals down.

Yesterday was the first shots out of my .308 Tikka T3xCTR (DB was there, BTW... LOL)
77DECE97-0446-4CFC-B259-09A8CF321E01.jpeg

After getting it on paper, running about 40 rounds through it, tinkering with tuning the zero (@100yds) as well as getting used to the "feel" of spankin' new kit never really properly held by myself (in anger or "joy") I finished the day with a final 3-shot string from left to right... just to make sure the zero wasn't a fluke.

With a final .25 MOA christening, in the future I'll have nobody to blame but myself.... or the wind. ;)
D8216BDD-A553-4854-B491-0E6E5162F0CC.jpeg

I'll eventually see you @ the 1000yds line! :D

Yesterday was the first shots out of my .308 Tikka T3xCTR (DB was there, BTW... LOL)
View attachment 580908

After getting it on paper, running about 40 rounds through it, tinkering with tuning the zero (@100yds) as well as getting used to the "feel" of spankin' new kit never really properly held by myself (in anger or "joy") I finished the day with a final 3-shot string from left to right... just to make sure the zero wasn't a fluke.

With a final .25 MOA christening, in the future I'll have nobody to blame but myself.... or the wind. ;)
View attachment 580909

Yep, he crushed it once he got her sighted in.

View attachment 580908

View attachment 580909

Nice shooting. Can you elaborate a bit more on the scope and ammo used?

Nice shooting. Can you elaborate a bit more on the scope and ammo used?

Stomper and I both have the exact same rifle. Scopes are different. I run a Vortex viper 6-24x50 and stomper runs the Leupold long range 6.5-20x50 I think.

Ammo was hand rolled by yours truly. It was a round that @v0lcom13sn0w and I had worked up for my specific needs. It is 175 grain Sierra match kings. CCI primers and to be quite honest I can't remember the powder but will let you know if your interested.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top