JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've had this Leupold 6x target with mil-dot for about 20 years waiting to build a rifle worthy of it. Just picked up a Springfield from a member here to rebarrel and restock; I'll mount this scope once the rifle is complete.

6E2C4E1F-0331-4EE1-B6CE-8418B250890F.jpeg C795D61E-75A9-4E41-B911-39E4F11E5EEF.jpeg

Basically I'm working towards a practical application system capable of what I refer to as MoM - minute of milk jug. If I do my part, it will consistently hit a milk jug at 600 yards from a supported prone position.

Now, to afford the barrel blank and stock...

I've had this Leupold 6x target with mil-dot for about 20 years waiting to build a rifle worthy of it. Just picked up a Springfield from a member here to rebarrel and restock; I'll mount this scope once the rifle is complete.

View attachment 523038 View attachment 523037

Basically I'm working towards a practical application system capable of what I refer to as MoM - minute of milk jug. If I do my part, it will consistently hit a milk jug at 600 yards from a supported prone position.

Now, to afford the barrel blank and stock...
A Mom rifle, how sweet. :D

It's actually a "free-floating" design. After every shot, you have to pull the scope back into place. Protects the innards from the effects of the recoil of a .45-90 round.

Plus you won't put your eye out... :D
Well, it looks dangerous! And scary! And stuff like that! :eek::confused::D

I like the Sig Tango6 line. The 3-18 sits on my hunting rifle and has shot out to 1200 yards. I also like the 4-24 but that has been discontinued. Their 1-6 sits on top of my MCX. Great products.

I tried a budget scope, Athlon Argos 6-24x50, on my Creedmoor. $400 with shade. Works well with light but not as clear as my Vortex's at dusk but for the price of less that half of a PST, a great buy.

I'm cheap, but like to use what has proven itself to me. By this, I mean, I don't run garbage just to get by. I use a SWFA SS 16x on my 6.5 creedmoor. It tracks flawlessly. Have managed 3" (10 shot) groups on steel at 440 yards with this set-up:

I also have a SWFA 16x.

I mounted it on my Savage FV-SR (.22LR) for 300yd plinking. I chose the SWFA 16x because it has over 100moa of elevation adjustment and the guys on Snipers Hide said the adjustment mechanism could take a lot of abuse. On a .22LR regularly going from 50yds to 300yds requires a LOT of turret cranking. Five years later... still working perfectly. Together with a customer cut EGW 40moa base I can go from 50yds to 300yds and keep it in the crosshairs with plenty of elevation remaining on both sides. Being fixed magnification helps to keep costs down. I think was only around $300.

One of my favorite recreational suppressed plinkers. Click...... ........ ....... ding. Love it.

72ou7B3.jpg

-----------------

A very underrated scope is the Bushnell 6500 Elite. 2.5x to 16x makes it a versatile optic. I have it mounted on my Remington 700 .308. Budget friendly at the time around 6-$700.

FmG5syL.jpg

SKrueger, I didn't directly answer your question of which scope I'd recommend and why. Here's that. FYI, I'm getting older also and particularly notice my low-light vision is degrading, which has upped my attraction to high-quality glass.

I love the Swarovski scopes because they're outstanding in clarity and low-light performance. The two models I like most for hunting are the Z3 and Z5, as both can be had for under 1 pound (some of the lightest scopes out there for the task). I like the 44 or 50mm objective sizes, again for light. The Z3 does not have parallax adjustment (set at 100), so if you're spending a lot of time at 300+ yards, I'd be biased toward the Z5. But obviously, the Swarovski scopes are brutally expensive ($1000-$1300 retail for these models).

I also like the Leupold VX-3i for hunting. The particular one I'd choose is the 4.5-14x50 with the side parallax knob and 30mm tube, which weighs just about a pound and can be purchased retail for about $650. Their higher-end scopes creep up to 20 ounces and over, so I like this particular model, as it balances things well on a hunting rifle.

They aren't making it anymore, but if parallax adjustment was not important to you, the Zeiss Terra scopes were a great package weighing under a pound and retailing for around $400.

The reason I previously commented on Tract scopes was that they might be able to offer similar quality to these types of scopes, but for a better price. Jury still out. And the Tract scopes are heavier than I prefer.

I have a VX-3i LRP 6.5-20x50 that's waiting for me to install on my Tikka T3xCTR when I get home from overseas.... I only got to look at it for about 15-mins before I had to put it in the gun safe. It's rather ironic looking forward to a 30 day vacation to end... I'm pretty excited, actually... LOL!

1CD1D04E-A2ED-44FA-91DF-919E50E2FBE9.jpeg 314BF2D1-DA0F-4963-ACC1-00BA3CEF956E.jpeg

You Long Range Shooters might want to take a look at the Navy Gadgets Website for a Spotting Scope. I just pick-up one and at 100 Yards I can watch the Earth Worms playing games! So I think it might just work for other uses! :):):)

I like shooting. I want to get better at long distance and precision. I am going to start reloading for just that reason and the fact that I can load cheaper than match grade ammo. My concern isn't with magnification its with clarity. I want some really nice glass some day and I know I will have to pay for it.
When I read this, i keep thinking Nightforce.

something i read the other day. If it pans out i would guess that there will be a bunch of new scopes on the market in the next few years.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top