JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just what the title says. For those of you who shoot long distance (300+ yards) what glass do you have on your rifle and why.

I have a vortex on my Tikka and love it. I have a leupold on one of my AR's. Yesterday at the range I noticed more than ever how much better and clearer the glass was on the leupold. I am hating this aging process. I had the hardest time getting my Vortex to focus yesterday and the leupold was crystal clear.

Tell me what you guys have. I might be upgrading some glass in the near future.

If I were in the market for a new scope right now, I'd take a close look at Tract Optics. They're a newer, direct-to-consumer company, so it's tough getting your hands on their gear in advance to look at. However, the reviews have been very good. Common to all reviews I've seen are a generous quality-to-price ratio. Just do an internet search on reviews for them.

Does shooting at steel count or just paper targets?

Cause I don't spend on glass like I used to. My most expensive optic is just some PO on my arsenal... And my .30-06 is sporting a cheap scope.

Following up with a reference to Tract scopes. Take a look at the article by John Barsness called "Testing Riflescopes" over on 24HourCampfire.

The article is not specifically about Tract, but look at the comment Barsness makes in the second-to-last paragraph. This caught my eye.

Again, I haven't actually handled one of these scopes. Like Cerberus Group, I also much appreciate high-quality glass (2 of my 3 hunting rifles have Swarovski scopes). But it would be nice to get it for less money, if possible.

I hope any members here who have tried the Tract scopes or binoculars speak up.

One will pay for quality glass...and I do mean the glass itself. Clarity and light gathering, once you use a scope with that...hard to go back.

So what would you recommend? I know that Leupold, Nightforce are two of the top on my list. Hard thing is it changes in the field versus looking in the store.

I hear you there. But a guy can save and buy one over time. I also know a guy that says he can get me 50% off but not holding my breath.

have you tried sportoptics.com ? they got some good deals usually like all the time...lol

true but im the type that if i do save up and in the mean time see something else i like i'll buy it instead. then, usually have the perfect amount of cash left for a nice vortex and some warne rings :D

have you tried sportoptics.com ? they got some good deals usually like all the time...lol

true but im the type that if i do save up and in the mean time see something else i like i'll buy it instead. then, usually have the perfect amount of cash left for a nice vortex and some warne rings :D

HAHA that sounds like me! :D Yesterday was an eye opener for me. It was really bugging me that I couldn't get my scope to focus like I am used to. Then switched to my AR and I was like holy cow that is clear. :confused:

I'm cheap, but like to use what has proven itself to me. By this, I mean, I don't run garbage just to get by. I use a SWFA SS 16x on my 6.5 creedmoor. It tracks flawlessly. Have managed 3" (10 shot) groups on steel at 440 yards with this set-up:
09E03O4.jpg

The nice thing about this scope, is, I trust its tracking. After a 400+ yard range session, I went to our club and shot some 100 yard targets. This is the first 10 shot group I shot after dialing back down to zero:
6rgZE0B.jpg
My only complaint with the 16x SS scope is the focus/parallax setting is picky. Glass seems to be great, as long as the parallax is adjusted perfectly.

On my AR10T, I want a little more versatility and chose an AR specific scope. I went with the Burris AR762 4.5-14X42 and couldn't be more happy with it. I like the glass and reticle. So it's staying on there. I've managed 2.5" (5 shot) groups at 400 yards with this rifle/set-up. Tracking and custom dial seem to work as intended:
ddIddPy.jpg

Last Edited:
I'm cheap, but like to use what has proven itself to me. By this, I mean, I don't run garbage just to get by. I use a SWFA SS 16x on my 6.5 creedmoor. It tracks flawlessly. Have managed 3" (10 shot) groups on steel at 440 yards with this set-up:
View attachment 521510

The nice thing about this scope, is, I trust its tracking. After a 400+ yard range session, I went to our club and shot some 100 yard targets. This is the first group I shot after dialing back down to zero:
View attachment 521511
My only complaint with the 16x SS scope is the focus/parallax setting is picky. Glass seems to be great, as long as the parallax is adjusted perfectly.

On my AR10T, I want a little more versatility and chose an AR specific scope. I went with the Burris AR762 4.5-14X42 and couldn't be more happy with it. I like the glass and reticle. So it's staying on there. I've managed 2.5" (5 shot) groups at 400 yards with this rifle/set-up. Tracking and custom dial seem to work as intended:
View attachment 521512

Those Savages sure do shoot!

Yes and I did notice the mirage but that was not it. It started the minute we got to the range. I think its just my eye's:(
mine get a little fuzzy if i dont have caffeine. my eye doc said its normal if you drink caffeine to be a little fuzzy since im used to having coffee everyday. something to do with the pressure behind my eyes when i have coffee vs not having coffee.

SKrueger, I didn't directly answer your question of which scope I'd recommend and why. Here's that. FYI, I'm getting older also and particularly notice my low-light vision is degrading, which has upped my attraction to high-quality glass.

I love the Swarovski scopes because they're outstanding in clarity and low-light performance. The two models I like most for hunting are the Z3 and Z5, as both can be had for under 1 pound (some of the lightest scopes out there for the task). I like the 44 or 50mm objective sizes, again for light. The Z3 does not have parallax adjustment (set at 100), so if you're spending a lot of time at 300+ yards, I'd be biased toward the Z5. But obviously, the Swarovski scopes are brutally expensive ($1000-$1300 retail for these models).

I also like the Leupold VX-3i for hunting. The particular one I'd choose is the 4.5-14x50 with the side parallax knob and 30mm tube, which weighs just about a pound and can be purchased retail for about $650. Their higher-end scopes creep up to 20 ounces and over, so I like this particular model, as it balances things well on a hunting rifle.

They aren't making it anymore, but if parallax adjustment was not important to you, the Zeiss Terra scopes were a great package weighing under a pound and retailing for around $400.

The reason I previously commented on Tract scopes was that they might be able to offer similar quality to these types of scopes, but for a better price. Jury still out. And the Tract scopes are heavier than I prefer.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top