JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Elk hunting for me was always alone in roadless/ no vehicle areas.
Mileage guess was day 1. 16 miles in to camp at 4pm
Day 2 12 miles in 3pm
Day 3 9 miles in <3pm
Day 4 7 miles ???
Day five depends 3-7 miles in ???
Light rifle is responsible for miles walking; up 600 ft ;down 6-7 hundred feet;(x2)
back to camp Usually 3-4 miles.

What is you lite rifle? Scoped?

Scale battery died but she's super light.
Barrett Fieldcraft 6.5 CM
Seekins Rings
Leupold mk5HD 3.6-18x44

FCD49E3D-F0A1-40EC-8457-3F3EFE1B93B0.jpeg C007AEB2-2435-40F9-90BE-F7DD3A34B703.jpeg

"And you have a elk in front of you. You will not notice the recoil of the 300wm at all."

Seems to me, if you've managed to develop a flinch from previously shooting this rifle, then it won't matter if you notice the recoil or not, when actually making your kill shot. Maybe I'm wrong?

I have tried to teach pretty big guys who flinch with their .30-06 rifle. Never could group worth a damn.

I remember reading a magazine article about a guy who looked around several deer camps many years ago, noticing the hanging deer. The ones shot with calibers like .250 Savage had one hole in them, properly placed. The ones shot with Magnums were all over the place, and it took several hits to get the animal down. Yeah, I know it is deer rather than elk, but still something to think about.

Last Edited:
I've shot several deer with the 7mm Rem Mag - back in the 70s when I think the projectiles were just from less powerful 7mm rifles (like 7x57). All of them were under 100 yards and the meat destruction was terrible. It was a PITA to reload. So I switched to .308 Win. My dad took more elk with his sporterized '03A3 in .30-06 than most people have seen in their lifetime.

To each their own, but I don't have a need for magnum rifles for hunting. I don't flinch (usually) but it isn't fun for me to shoot magnum rifles.

Tikka says the T3x in .30-06 weighs 6.4 lbs.

7mm Rem Mag is 6.5 lbs.

Add a pound or so for scope and rings. So basically you're carrying a six pack of pounders in glass, plus a big bag of chips.

P

My elk/deer/bear/antelope/coyote rifle for past 25 years has been an Rugger M77 All Weather Rifle in .30-06.

But I shot my first elk at 14 years old with a .257 Roberts using 120 gr Noslers handloaded by my dad. Took one step before piling up. Took more deer and antelope and elk over the years before giving in to all the talk about it not being enough gun for elk. Got the .30-06 in my mid 20's.

Now, that old Ruger is getting heavier and heavier.

Dad and brother upgraded their elk rifles the past couple of years, so I guess I'll have to soon, as well.

My brother went from the Tika T3 Lite in 300 WSM to a Christiansen Arms Ridgeline in 6.5 PRC. He's addicted to long-range shots and fired this 3.5" group at just over 600 yards...

6.5prc.jpg

The Ridgeline is an amazing rifle. He paid $1800 and traded in 2 or 3 rifles to finance it.

wm_12965595.jpg

Here's his in the woods last season...

q3dkp5MkQTGCggR3szDzIg.jpg

Dad went from his trusty wood-stocked .270 to a Kimber Mountain Rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor.

I'll probably go to a Ruger American Hunter in .308 since I'm cheap.

My elk/deer/bear/antelope/coyote rifle for past 25 years has been an Rugger M77 All Weather Rifle in .30-06.

But I shot my first elk at 14 years old with a .257 Roberts using 120 gr Noslers handloaded by my dad. Took one step before piling up. Took more deer and antelope and elk over the years before giving in to all the talk about it not being enough gun for elk. Got the .30-06 in my mid 20's.

Dad and brother upgraded their elk rifles the past couple of years, so I guess I'll have to soon, as well.

My brother went from the Tika T3 Lite in 300 WSM to a Christiansen Arms Ridgeline in 6.5 PRC. He's addicted to long-range shots and fired this 3.5" group at just over 600 yards...

View attachment 700105

The Ridgeline is an amazing rifle. He paid $1800 and traded in 2 or 3 rifles to finance it.

View attachment 700110

View attachment 700109

Dad went from his trusty wood-stocked .270 to a Kimber Mountain Rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor.

View attachment 700105

View attachment 700110

View attachment 700109

What is the weight on these rifles with the scope?

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top