JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My Tikka targets, including 7mm-08, 7mm Rem Mag, and .30-06, are all handloaded ammunition, so the value of my experience is questionable.
Suffice it to say that I have owned Weatherby, Howa, Remington, Winchester, Marlin, Browning, and Savage. All I buy now is Tikka.

To the OP, any time you want, let me know and we'll meet up at the Albany Rifle and Pistol Club, I'll turn you loose on Tikkas in 7mm-08 (2), a 7mm Rem Mag, and a .30-06. I have created loads for each that shoot under .5", usually less.

C8C90C1A-16D2-4E2C-A672-FCDDE6808F46.jpeg
6D1F27E8-9E3B-4111-B985-661032AF6CD4.jpeg

956F1EB7-195B-48A7-9F78-B88BF35E9C68.jpeg

Funny thing is, I'm not a very good shot off the bench, I'm actually better from field positions shooting at steel, but these dang Tikkas make a guy look like Natty Bumppo.

No joke on the invite, I'll supply the ammo.

P

I had one of those, rounded a easy "s" corner on a dirt road 15' wide scanned down into timber then the clearing then to the top at a timber line. Top 300 yrds. away was a huge
6-pt looking right at me; I thought of pushing off the safety, he whirled and was gone before the brain waves physically moved anything.

My Tikka targets, including 7mm-08, 7mm Rem Mag, and .30-06, are all handloaded ammunition, so the value of my experience is questionable.
Suffice it to say that I have owned Weatherby, Howa, Remington, Winchester, Marlin, Browning, and Savage. All I buy now is Tikka.

To the OP, any time you want, let me know and we'll meet up at the Albany Rifle and Pistol Club, I'll turn you loose on Tikkas in 7mm-08 (2), a 7mm Rem Mag, and a .30-06. I have created loads for each that shoot under .5", usually less.

View attachment 698148
View attachment 698149

View attachment 698150

Funny thing is, I'm not a very good shot off the bench, I'm actually better from field positions shooting at steel, but these dang Tikkas make a guy look like Natty Bumppo.

P

Tikka t 3 lite is no longer in production. It was replaced with what if you know?

Question: What would the weight likely be with a lite weight rifle and scope? I am thinking that the rifle would be 6 pounds and the scope and mounts and sling about 1.75 pounds loaded with ammo? This would be about 7.75 pounds. Am I correct?

My apologies to the OP for the hijack. To recap, a .30-06 will do everything you need.

But a 7mm-08 will, too.

Edit to add, I know because I've done it. .300 Weatherby Mag (look those ballistics up!), .30-06, 7mm-08. So yes, I've been there.

P
No worries. The thread did get away from me for a minute, but overall good advice. And I appreciate the ballistic comparisons you provided. Pretty sure I've reached the end of the internet when it comes to research on calibers. Being a relative newbie to firearms, I'm kind of taken aback with both the volume of content and passion people have for each caliber. All the more reason to try a number of calibers and tinker for a lifetime. Just need deeper pockets to try 'em all.

I'm still into a 30-06 in the Tikka and am considering the 7mm Rem Mag in a lighter weight set up despite already owning the 7 in a Winchester Model 70. Frankly I wanted a new gun in a different caliber to try something new, but serendipity and a good deal may push me to the 7mm.

Honestly, at the end of the day it really is about shot placement, understanding your (and your rifle's) limits and being patient for the right opportunity. I totally get that and I've had a few regrettable experiences where patience and shot placement didn't align too well. Trying to remedy that with more practice in field-like conditions.

Anyway, thanks again your input.

Honestly, at the end of the day it really is about shot placement, understanding your (and your rifle's) limits and being patient for the right opportunity. I totally get that and I've had a few regrettable experiences where patience and shot placement didn't align too well. Trying to remedy that with more practice in field-like conditions.

This is a excellent and very truthful statement.
Andy

If I may toss this into the mix...
The way a rifle carries in the field and "balances" ...is important to consider as well.

My main hunting and shooting rifle weighs in at 10 pounds...
Yet how it carries and how the rifle was made , makes that 10 pounds still "feel" manageable after a day of hunting.
Yes 10 pounds is 10 pounds...but a rifle with a good fit and balance for you ....will feel different than rifle that has poor fit and balance , even if they weigh the same.
Andy

View attachment 698148
View attachment 698149

View attachment 698150

P
Those are some impressive groups! I will absolutely take you up on your offer to try out your collection. Thank you. When life returns to some sort of normalcy and I can sneak away from the family for 3 hours, I'll shoot you a PM to sort out time to meet up.

If I may toss this into the mix...
The way a rifle carries in the field and "balances" ...is important to consider as well.

My main hunting and shooting rifle weighs in at 10 pounds...
Yet how it carries and how the rifle was made , makes that 10 pounds still "feel" manageable after a day of hunting.
Yes 10 pounds is 10 pounds...but a rifle with a good fit and balance for you ....will feel different than rifle that has poor fit and balance , even if they weigh the same.
Andy
Agreed on how the gun fits and balances. Truly my current elk rifle feels great and its heft helps me steady the rifle in off-hand shots (especially in a hasty sling situation). The problem I have is that it wears me down over days of logging miles gaining and dumping elevation. I guess to your point, my gun doesn't carry well or I'm just soft ;). There's also the "I want a new gun factor" which is a very powerful influence right now.

I have found that taking my rifle with me when out scouting or shooting where I hunt ...helps with both shooting and knowing my rifle.
Granted that this is not always possible in certain places.
I do hear you on the I want a new or new to me gun factor....:D
Andy

About ten years ago I was shopping for a deer rifle that could be transported on a quad and could handle getting beat up a bit from that. I also wanted it to be light, as often the quad ride ended at a ridge or butte that needed climbing. I also wanted it in stainless. Not asking too much eh? Oh yeah, also had to be in 25-06. At the time the Savage Axis had just been released and fit all my criteria. Bought one for under 3 Benjamins, put a 3X9 Leupold on it, changed out the trigger for a Rifle Basics unit ($65) and haven't looked back. Scoped gun weighs 7.5 pounds loaded with sling, in all cost less then a new Tikka, and shoots very well. Plus I can beat the crap out of it and not worry about devaluation.
Nowadays the Axis comes in many flavors, but the 30-06 and 7mm-08 would suffice for elk.

About ten years ago I was shopping for a deer rifle that could be transported on a quad and could handle getting beat up a bit from that. I also wanted it to be light, as often the quad ride ended at a ridge or butte that needed climbing. I also wanted it in stainless. Not asking too much eh? Oh yeah, also had to be in 25-06. At the time the Savage Axis had just been released and fit all my criteria. Bought one for under 3 Benjamins, put a 3X9 Leupold on it, changed out the trigger for a Rifle Basics unit ($65) and haven't looked back. Scoped gun weighs 7.5 pounds loaded with sling, in all cost less then a new Tikka, and shoots very well. Plus I can beat the crap out of it and not worry about devaluation.
Nowadays the Axis comes in many flavors, but the 30-06 and 7mm-08 would suffice for elk.

Good call. I have a stock Axis (called the Edge when I got it) in 308 and use that as my deer rifle. I have no qualms banging that gun through the brush and it meets my needs. The fit and finish leave much to be desired, but that's to be expected with a $300 rifle. From what I've read - and hope to soon experience - the Tikka's fit and finish (and action and stock trigger) is more than a few notches above the Axis for a $200-$300 more. That's pretty acceptable to me. Nonetheless - I've found the Axis to be great utility gun that has served me well for Blacktails.

From a previous life:

The T3x has a much better pad than the T3, but neither is as good as a Limbsaver, so that part of the recommendation stands. I think the T3x solved non-existent problems, but it gave Tikka the ability to charge more.

From what I hear Whittaker Guns sells the milled Talleys.

P

I don't get out much anymore, but I'm outfitting the family farm with some good tools for the next generation.

Here's a rifle you might want to consider. It has a reputation for being tough as nails. Also has a mean recoil, which is partly due to the zytel stock.

I put a rubber buttpad and a muzzle brake on it, and even I can shoot it now. The brake has a redirector that can be screwed on, which makes it less noisy for someone standing beside the shooter. But with good hearing protection, I don't worry about the noise.

With the brake, the buttpad, the scope rings, the scope, and the sling the whole getup weighs 8 pounds 11 ounces. Add four ounces if you use the redirector.

This one is a 30-06, and has a Leupold scope on it.

37E0F6F7-A05F-4AE2-9EBF-6FA47C877AEC.jpeg

E68C397B-9239-45AE-8470-0C88D3AA55C0.jpeg

AC42D080-0DAF-417E-9EEE-874DEBF6EEDF.jpeg

469C1CFB-B2F8-4CDD-907B-580E42078320.jpeg I

I drew a Bull elk tag in the Kapowsin Tree farm this year and just picked up a Barrett Fieldcraft in 6.5 Creedmoor so I don't have to lug my old 30-06 around. Weighs in just over 5lbs without the optic. Much nicer than my Kimber Mountain Ascent. I'm waiting for the UPS man now to get my Leupold Mk5HD. I can report back with total weight.

E25A9781-7735-4912-AD1C-8F2008745F81.jpeg

It's a 30-06 for me. I've had a 3 or 4 or 5 of them but none were actually lightweight. My newest one is an old Winchester 70 and even with a modest scope it's still kind of a tank. The Kimber Montana was a little lighter, but not enough to write home about.

I'm also a true believer in the 7mm-08. Yeah, it's not a "Thirty" or larger, but it packs a pretty good whollop and penetrates like you wouldn't believe. My wife's is a Ruger 77 MKII Compact. That's a nice light rifle. I almost bought one in 308 about the time I bought her's. I still think that would have been a smart idea.

I own 3 T3 lites in different calibers. One huge disappointment in the 300 win mag is the 1 in 11 barrel twist. Why shoot a 300 win mag if you are not going to push the heavy 200's. In that price range and caliber I have a weatherby vanguard that shoots 1/2 inch groups. Any caliber from a 260 up will kill elk. I went with a 300 and 200's for heavy winds and long shots.

6A82D1F1-2796-457A-9571-EFE71E33725B.jpeg

Elk hunting for me was always alone in roadless/ no vehicle areas.
Mileage guess was day 1. 16 miles in to camp at 4pm
Day 2 12 miles in 3pm
Day 3 9 miles in <3pm
Day 4 7 miles ???
Day five depends 3-7 miles in ???
Light rifle is responsible for miles walking; up 600 ft ;down 6-7 hundred feet;(x2)
back to camp Usually 3-4 miles.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads