JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
People like 'em.
@pharmseller is the biggest Tikka fanboi on the planet.
Formerly known as The Pink Panty Guy on the other forum.
He should be chiming in soon.

:)

I started drinking about 30 minutes ago, so I'll have to complete my response later (pics, dead stuff, targets, the whole shebang) but if the OP is sold on a 7mm Rem Mag I can help with that. If the OP wants to transition to a .30-06, I can help with that, too. if the OP wants to throw off the shackles of servitude to unnecessary recoil and choose a different cartridge (unlikely, as few are called and even fewer chosen) I can really help with that. All Tikkas, of course.

if the OP wants a .300 Win Mag my utility has come to an end. I will wish him well and secretly excoriate his choice.

P

Ah, I knew I came the right place for this question. Appreciate all the advice and opinions. Also, So. Many. Opinions.

I'm ruling out the 300 WM in the Tikka. Too much extra investment in a brake in order to accurately shoot it for a distance gain I probably won't need hunting Western Oregon. The 06 is likely the chosen caliber. Versatility, cost and availability of ammo, relative low recoil, history, etc. I suppose if I build skill and confidence in 400+ yrd shots, I'll have a reason to start this process all over again to get a new rifle. And that's okay with me :).

Thanks again for taking the time to weigh in.

Geez. I'd think that within 300 yards the 270 or '06 would be great! I have them all, 270, '06, 300 WM and 338 WM. Carrying weight varies 2 pounds because of simple to complex scopes. I was thinking the other day of a simple '06 or 308 with a fixed 6 power scope. Just for a lite weight hunter shooter.

Maybe a 300 WM, shoulder pad at the range, and then, forget about it till hunting day. I have a 338 WM and glass stock and 4x12 Leopold Scope with total weight at 8.3 pounds. A joy to carry. Kicks like a mule at the range but with a shoulder pad it is less awful. Out in the field shooting elk, not at all noticeable. The rifle is a WinLite Model 70. I have a Weatherby 300 Win Mag, Vanguard S2, with a Nikon Black 4 x 16 scope, shoots nickles at 100 yards, and weight is about 10.3 pounds. I feel the extra weight. The Weatherby 300 Win Mag in comparison to the Winchester 338 is a puppy.

Geez. I'd think that within 300 yards the 270 or '06 would be great! I have them all, 270, '06, 300 WM and 338 WM. Carrying weight varies 2 pounds because of simple to complex scopes. I was thinking the other day of a simple '06 or 308 with a fixed 6 power scope. Just for a lite weight hunter shooter.

I've ran fixed power scopes on several lightweight rifles. Mostly 4x and 6x. I like light rifles for the kind of hunting where you want to keep your rifle in your hands.

Here is an M700 Mountain Rifle in 280, restocked in a McMillan KS pattern, with a fixed 6x. Right at 7lbs field ready.

E6685823-8141-44A1-AB7C-58FBA32537ED.jpeg

Like others have said. When your In the field. And you have a elk in front of you. You will not notice the recoil of the 300wm at all. Maybe a little at the range lol. 300 is my do it all rifle. Deer bear elk. Hell even a couple Coyotes have gotten a kiss from my 300. Bergara makes a nice rifle. Tikka. Now days there are so many fine rifles to choose from really we have gotten kinda spoiled. If you plan on buying a Remington. Make sure you spend a extra 30 min going over it with a fine tooth comb. Cuz they are not what they use to be

A lot of good perspectives here. The main reason to go with a 300WSM or similar is if you know you don't have a flinch with that larger recoil. If you can shoot it without a flinch, go bigger, as it gives you more range and knock down power. When you hit an animal in the Northwest, you want it to drop right there whenever possible, because anywhere else that it runs to (usually down a mountain) is probably not a fun place to go. But, if you are not certain of your reaction to the large caliber recoil, go with something lighter and train yourself on it really well until you want to step it up. Summing up, bigger is better, but not if it makes you flinch.

Savage 110 ultralight comes threaded for a brake or suppressor. I have 2 savage 16 lightweight hunters thst are fantastic shooting guns and weigh just a little over 6lbs with scope. The new version of the 16lwh is the 110 lightweight storm. You could always do what i did and put a witt machine clamp on brake on it.

Suck it up... One shot one kill. After doing all the hiking are you really going to say the recoil from one shot is too high a cost to pay to rap the rewards of your hard work? It will be over before you know it and you'll get over it LOL!

Let's start with some data comparing factory loads in a 300 Win Mag (WM) and a .30-06 (06). Assuming a 180 grain Accubond (AB) for both. Max distance 400 yards.

We'll throw in your 7mm Rem Mag, too.

The difference between the two cartridges (same caliber, after all) is velocity, about 200 FPS for factory loads. The WM is close to 2900 fps, the 06 around 2700 fps. Remember, same bullet, so what does 200 fps get you? Not much, really.

89762603-4F2A-4E4D-ADBD-4806B392A89B.png

First up is the WM. The lowest recommended velocity for AB performance (shared by many, if not most projectiles) is 1800 fps. As you can see, the AB retains 1800 fps well outside your self-induced maximum. The bullet drops below 1800 fps somewhere between 650 and 700 yards.
Now to energy, which some people pay a lot of attention to, but to which I ignore. Some folk believe that a projectile should carry twice the animal's weight in foot/lbs to be ethical. A big bull will go 800 pounds (I've seen two, maybe three that big in my life, one of which I shot) so we're looking for 1600 ft/lbs as our minimum. The WM gives more than that at your maximum range.
Based on your needs, the WM fulfills your requirements.

76B7A1B1-16E9-40D3-8CF0-0A345A102FEB.png

Next up is your 7mm Rem Mag. Not enough difference to worry about, so let's just agree the 7mm Rem Mag remains an option.

9C86E55B-539B-4B8E-919D-35005D4ED0B0.png

Now let's dive in to the 06. Remember our benchmarks, 1800 fps and 1600 ft/lbs. Take a look on the chart where the 06 drops below 1800 (between 550 and 600 yards). How about 1600 ft/lbs? Past 400 yards. If you do the math, the WM gives you 100 yards. Put another way, whatever the WM can do, the 06 can do 100 yards closer. So if your max is 400 yards, the WM doesn't really offer much, since the 06 meets all of your criteria with a lighter rifle, cheaper ammo, and less recoil.

Next up is alternate cartridges, then rifle choices.

P

You also need to factor in how tough a bull elk is. They are tough as it gets. I've shot many. Cows. Spikes. 4x4 and 6x7. Only two that dropped in there tracks were shot in the neck at the base of the skull. The 6x7 I shot at 60 yards with a 338wm bar ran another 100 yards with a hole through organs. The 4x4 cought me while I was taking a sh!t in the reprod and I shot it at 40 yards with same 338 and it also took off. These were well placed kill shots. Saying there tough is a understatement. When it comes to elk. Make sure you don't go to light in the caliber department. My wife shoots a 30-06. Mainly because I won't let her shoot anything smaller

You also need to factor in how tough a bull elk is. They are tough as it gets. I've shot many. Cows. Spikes. 4x4 and 6x7. Only two that dropped in there tracks were shot in the neck at the base of the skull. The 6x7 I shot at 60 yards with a 338wm bar ran another 100 yards with a hole through organs. The 4x4 cought me while I was taking a sh!t in the reprod and I shot it at 40 yards with same 338 and it also took off. These were well placed kill shots. Saying there tough is a understatement. When it comes to elk. Make sure you don't go to light in the caliber department. My wife shoots a 30-06. Mainly because I won't let her shoot anything smaller

Last bull I killed was also While I was in the pursuit of taking a dump.

This tough sob had a injured hoof from a fight I assume and was bedded down. I tossed a rock at It and when it stood up put a 338 through its chest as it was quarters away from me. And it ran 3 legged for at least a 100 yards before it dropped. I have more respect for these animals then I do most people. There tough. 30-06 7mm rem 300 wm. All great choices. Just don't go any smaller.

F9185970-2AC1-48EC-8A81-F2D7AA4F4227.jpeg

You guys are funny. I'm forced to respond sooner than I wished, but the gauntlet has been thrown.

How about a 6x5 at 409 yards? A spike (I know the argument, big bulls are orders of magnitude tougher, I don't buy it) at 350 yards? A big 5x5 at 250 yards? A 4x4 at 70 yards?

What do they all have in common, besides their antlers (all but one) hanging in my barn?

They all got shot with a 7mm-08, and none went more than 90 feet before dying. Three of them got one shot apiece, one was still standing so he got shot again.

P

6F05AEEA-DD62-4537-8E02-4FEEDF53B231.jpeg

This one went the farthest, 90 feet, before tipping over. A single 140 grain Accubond at 250 yards, through and through. Note the bright red wound behind the shoulder, halfway up. 2870 FPS or so, my handloads. My Dad's biggest bull. Bigger than most elk hunters ever kill, I'll wager.

P

if it works for you then run it. But I hear every year people loosing elk or blowing the bubblegum out of them cuz it won't drop. A well placed round is most important but a 7mm-08 is a deer round.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top