JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This was printed in the Readers Forum section of the McMinnville News
Register today, April 25. It is one of the bigger loads of $##& that I have
ever seen in print. Anybody have a good idea what to do about it?

[/
Must enforce gun laws

We must vigorously enforce our gun laws and strengthen them where they are weak. We must stop the selling of guns to the mentally ill and domestic abusers. We must stop the unregulated sale of guns at gun shows.

I have been to gun shows where I witnessed bags full of 1911 model .45 automatic handguns being sold with no background check or identification required. These guns were being sold to known gang members wearing gang colors. One table away, AR15 rifles and M1 carbine rifles were being sold. At the next table, the parts to convert them to fully automatic weapons were being sold. These activities are legal. The 1934 national firearms act did not apply because they were being sold from different tables.

Mexican President Calderon has pleaded with the U.S. government to help stop the sending of guns and money across our common frontier to the Mexican criminal gangs, and to increase our border security. Let us heed Calderon’s clarion call. Our national security and domestic tranquility are at great risk.

Robert S. Bevers
McMinnville

QUOTE]

Here is the link. http://www.newsregister.com/article/38793-letters+editor+april+25+2009

Obviously a ranting anti-gunner telling lies again in the op-ed pages. Write a counter op-ed is about the only thing you can do.

Also, if you google his name and mcminnville you will find he likes to write to the newspaper, he's a George Bush hater as well. Oh, it also gives his phone number and address interestingly enough.

If a cause is just and true, there is no need to lie. Perhaps these people should consider this before mixing deceit into their cries for control.

My first thought was to forward the letter to the BATFE. Looks like this
guy has first-hand eyewitness knowledge of violations of the NFA 34,
GCA 68 and the Hughes amendment to the FOPA of 86. The first
line of his letter is all about enforcing existing laws, I'm sure he will
be more than helpful when the Feds show up at his door.;)

Typical anti-Second Amendment strategy at this point... lie big enough and long enough for enough people to believe it...

Blogged this one... <broken link removed>

I knew he was lying when he said bags full of 1911's, one of the most expensive guns out there, gang members don't carry 1911's. Gang members carry cheap guns, like techs. I have been to no less the 100 Guns shows, and have never seen any gang activity. Perhaps he was at a Flea Market in Mexico.

First of all... I believe the MERE POSSESSION of ANY design of auto-sear for "black rifles" (or any rifle) means you are in possession of a "machinegun", and that what he said is NOT TRUE, and he sounds ignorant to me.
Possession of an autosear and the gun it will work in is the same as possession of a machine gun. The key is if it will work, a Lightening link will make a AR15 full auto, an M16 FCG and BCG won't work on many of the AR15 lowers because of the shelf and no happy hole. Many people that own AK47 demil kits have a Full Auto fire control group laying around but unless you spot weld the FA rails and drill the happy hole to the flat or 100&#37; receiver they cannot be installed.

Isn't just drilling a hole in an AR receiver possesion of a machinegun? Just the hole! :confused:

Well let me start by saying you could be prosecuted regardless of the facts, but the hole in itself won't necessarily allow the sear to be installed since most AR15's would need to be machined to install the auto sear, I really don't know what the laws are on the hole perhaps someone can speak up.

I have always taken the position of why take the chance, even with using a M16 bolt for example, it's just not worth someone getting the wrong idea.

To look at it from Leo's perspective If I saw a AR or AK with the extra hole it would warrant a full inspection, and once the ball is rolling it's hard to stop.

I seem to recall reading that having ANY internal part from an M16 (I mean ANY part) installed in an AR15 was a HUGE BATF violation that will land you 10-yrs. in the pokey if you're caught.

No it's not a violation, people use M16 BCG's all the time. I read somewhere that you couldn't use the M16 BCG in Washinton because of state law, but I read it on the net so take that for what it's worth.

That is true! Because in Washington the law reads...A machine gun part is a machine gun part no matter how the weapon fires. But stop and think about that...An M16 buttstock is the very same buttstock as an AR15, forearm, gas tube sight post...blah,blah,blah...There is no clear definition on what part is considered a machine gun part. But internal FCG parts are definatley a no no...come on...even the barrel is the same barrel on both guns... :confused:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top