JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Nonsense. It doesn't say Lego anywhere on it. There is probably proprietary spacing that distinguishes Lego brand from other block brands. Unless one of those things were copied, they have zero standing.
Not nonsense, plenty of companies win these kinds of lawsuits off of visual similarities like copying the style of a the lego lettering and the like. Also kind of a moot point anyhow as the gun maker tucked tail and complied with the cease and desist order. Apparently they didn't wanna risk the "nonsense" lawsuit.

Nonsense. It doesn't say Lego anywhere on it. There is probably proprietary spacing that distinguishes Lego brand from other block brands. Unless one of those things were copied, they have zero standing.
Several toy companies still make blocks. Just sayin. :D

Not nonsense, plenty of companies win these kinds of lawsuits off of visual similarities like copying the style of a the lego lettering and the like. Also kind of a moot point anyhow as the gun maker tucked tail and complied with the cease and desist order. Apparently they didn't wanna risk the "nonsense" lawsuit.
You're both right. It's nonsense, but you can sue under a nonsensical premise and cost your enemy a lot of money even if you lose.

Do some research on trade dress and shapes in regards to guitars and then come back.

Whether LEGO does or does not have legal superiority, they have a large enough war chest as compared to Culper Precision that right/wrong quite literally becomes moot.

Screw Lego, they dont own the block design. In fact they stole it from Duplex.

The creator of this just decided to shut down rather than face a lawsuit that he would, eventually, win.

Is this "safe"? Who cares. It's a novelty item, buy it/build it, then secure the thing from thieves and nosey kids.

MDA can go suck on totsicles.
I'll bet the Mattel execs looked at the Block19 and said, "Cool !"
Then their legal staff popped up and said, "you know, if someone gets hurt with one of these things, we will be a defendant in the PI suit." Now you're talking *real* money -- that door slammed shut, hard.
Even though the copyright infringement would be an iffy battle to win, that would be their first and easiest play. Culper caved.

Last Edited:
This has to be one of the dumbest ideas that a firearms company has come up with... The liability on that design would be massive I would imagine.

LEO doesn't fire because it's a "toy" gun and ends up getting killed in the line of duty because they thought it was a "toy" gun.

If I were a lawyer, I'd take that case in a hot minute and bet that I could retire just a day or two after the case was over and verdict confirmed.
So it IS more important for cops to go home than raise children to be responsible.

Joe

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads