JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Isn't it legal to ship a long gun from person to person (sans FFL) withing the state? How can I ship a rifle across the state?

I went to the UPS faq and found this:
Can I ship guns through UPS?
Q.Can I send a gun home?

A.No, there are strict regulatory laws regarding the transportation of firearms. UPS can only ship firearms between licensed dealers.

UPS can only ship firearms between licensed dealers.

Absolutely not true. I shipped a rifle to a gunsmith in WA from OR via UPS several times. I also shipped an AR from OR to the Remington factory in NY via UPS.

Take it to USPS. You do not need to declare that there is a rifle in the box, and the postal clerks are not allowed to ask. (I have shipped three rifles recently, all out of state, from two separate Portland area post offices. One rifle was an antique requiring no FFL, two went to C&R holders. I am not an FFL.) As long as you are complying with the requirements of your state regarding intra-state transactions, and as far as I know intra-state personal sales of firearms in WA state do not require FFLs, you are good to go. Ammunition cannot be in the same box as the rifle, and for good measure I remove the bolt but ship it in the same package.

Recently, a friend of mine took an RPD parts kit to a local UPS store and just about got bum-rushed out when the owner found out what was in the box, even though it was going to a licensed FFL. I've heard too many of these stories for me to consider taking my firearms anywhere else but USPS.

Keith

And once more, do NOT tell the clerk what is inside the box. Some of them are absolute clowns. One guy who was near retirement told me "You can't even mail a gun screw".. and I had been shipping all sorts of gun parts and accessories past he and his associates for near 10 years :s0112:

And once more, do NOT tell the clerk what is inside the box. Some of them are absolute clowns. One guy who was near retirement told me "You can't even mail a gun screw".. and I had been shipping all sorts of gun parts and accessories past he and his associates for near 10 years :s0112:

Whenever I ship a firearm, I always tell them the box contains "machined parts".

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top