Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Legal way to ship a rifle within Washington State?

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by twoclones, Nov 23, 2012.

1. twoclones

twoclones Tri-Cities, WA Well-Known Member

Isn't it legal to ship a long gun from person to person (sans FFL) withing the state? How can I ship a rifle across the state?

I went to the UPS faq and found this:

2. PX4WA

PX4WA Tacoma, WA Active Member

Usps. Make sure it is unloaded... Helps to take the bolt out

3. ZigZagZeke

ZigZagZeke Eugene Silver Supporter Silver Supporter 2015 Volunteer

Absolutely not true. I shipped a rifle to a gunsmith in WA from OR via UPS several times. I also shipped an AR from OR to the Remington factory in NY via UPS.

Redcap and (deleted member) like this.
  4. One-Eyed Ross

One-Eyed Ross Winlock, WA Well-Known Member

Yes, but that was to a licensed (FFL) person.

UPS is misreading the law. INTER state shipping is different than INTRA state shipping

5. trainsktg

trainsktg Portland OR Well-Known Member

Take it to USPS. You do not need to declare that there is a rifle in the box, and the postal clerks are not allowed to ask. (I have shipped three rifles recently, all out of state, from two separate Portland area post offices. One rifle was an antique requiring no FFL, two went to C&R holders. I am not an FFL.) As long as you are complying with the requirements of your state regarding intra-state transactions, and as far as I know intra-state personal sales of firearms in WA state do not require FFLs, you are good to go. Ammunition cannot be in the same box as the rifle, and for good measure I remove the bolt but ship it in the same package.

Recently, a friend of mine took an RPD parts kit to a local UPS store and just about got bum-rushed out when the owner found out what was in the box, even though it was going to a licensed FFL. I've heard too many of these stories for me to consider taking my firearms anywhere else but USPS.

Keith

6. hermannr

hermannr Okanogan Highlands Well-Known Member

I would use USPS too. Make sure it is packaged really well, but USPS is legal and much less expensive than UPS or FedEx.

7. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg WA Well-Known Member

And once more, do NOT tell the clerk what is inside the box. Some of them are absolute clowns. One guy who was near retirement told me "You can't even mail a gun screw".. and I had been shipping all sorts of gun parts and accessories past he and his associates for near 10 years :bluelaugh:

8. Grunwald

Grunwald Out of that nut job colony of Seattle, WA Well-Known Member

Just because someone works behind a counter at UPS or USPS it does not make them an expert in anything other than counting out the correct change.

9. oknow

oknow amboy wa. Well-Known Member

it would be advisable to check for the correct change also :poke:

10. Redcap

Redcap Lewis County, WA Well-Known Member

Whenever I ship a firearm, I always tell them the box contains "machined parts".

11. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg WA Well-Known Member

They only ask me if it contains anything hazardous or prohibited and I tell them "not today"

Redcap and (deleted member) like this.