JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So now that the Oregon Attorney General finally decided that the Remington Tac-14 is okay to own in Oregon it got me wondering if I could build one using my current Remington 870. I bought an 870 that came from the factory with a pistol grip and I am thinking that if I swap that for a raptor grip I could cut the barrel to 14". I am just looking for something to play with, so no need to tell me how useless pistol grip shotguns are. I get it, they are not as good as a stocked gun, but this is for fun only.

Anybody else thought about this project? Would it be legal?

Short answer: NO.

Longer answer: It has been recorded as being what it is when purchased. Change it to what you want and risk being a guest of uncle Sam.

If you can find a NEW pistol grip only version of the 870, like Mossberg produced with the 500 JIC, then you would legally be allowed to shorten the barrel because it was never sold as a "shotgun," which requires a factory installed shoulder stock. The JIC was sold as "Firearm, pistol grip," which is a "Q" code on OSP's website for FFLs. It MUST remain over 26" OAL, however, or it would become an AOW.

Yes. I should clarify that it has never had a shoulder stock on it. There was one in the box, but it shipped with a pistol grip installed and I have never even removed the tape from the box with the factory stock in it. In this case, is it classified as a pistol grip firearm and able to be turned into a Tac-14?

Yes. I should clarify that it has never had a shoulder stock on it. There was one in the box, but it shipped with a pistol grip installed and I have never even removed the tape from the box with the factory stock in it. In this case, is it classified as a pistol grip firearm and able to be turned into a Tac-14?
How was it transferred on the 4473? What's the mfg code, or model number?

Just like for AR15 pistols...if the receiver was EVER built into a rifle, the receiver can NEVER become a pistol without it being considered an NFA item.

The receivers used for the new Shockwave type firearms never had stocks (and never can without a tax stamp). In fact, they are not even, technically, shotguns. They are just "firearms".

The problem you have is that it came with a stock in the box. More than likely, it was entered in, and recorded as a shotgun. Even if it came with the pistol grip installed.

Folks that did the Mossberg conversion could only do it to ones that only came with a pistol grip, and not the ones that came with both.

If it came with a stock, even if not installed, you did not need to be 21 to purchase it. PGO's required that you were at least 21.

That was my understanding and based on this thought it would be possible to build one off my 870 as it has never had a shoulder stock on it.

You could always contact Remington, and give them your serial number. Ask them how they have it recorded, as a shotgun, or pistol grip firearm, etc.

That was my understanding and based on this thought it would be possible to build one off my 870 as it has never had a shoulder stock on it.
Let me try this again. I wasn't clear enough. What you have is a shotgun. The Tac-14 is NOT a shotgun, it is a firearm. If you own a shotgun of any variety (even the chainsaw-type or factory pistol-grip-only type) you cannot make it anything but a shotgun. Because it is a "shotgun".

One more time: A Tac-14 is not a shotgun and you cannot convert your shotgun into a non-shotgun. Period. End of discussion.

Unless I'm wrong, which is possible. But I doubt I'm wrong.

@Gonzales was suggesting that there were actually 12ga Remingtons that were labeled "firearms" because they came from the factory with only a pistol grip. I HIGHLY doubt this possibility!

The labeling of a 14-inch-barreled 12ga as a "firearm" (as a work-around the NFA regs) is a brand new strategy that only came about when this new thingamajig was recently developed (by Mossberg?).

Reminds me of the whole hoopla over the sig brace...all the people writing ATF... "Can I do this, can I do that?" It made for a mess. Never ask a question that you don't already know the answer to. My advice? Just buy the real deal and don't take a chance on getting jammed up.

Read the entire page. NFA laws are not a place where you want to guess. If there's even a sliver of doubt, DON'T DO IT!

Even if it's legal now, we are likely to have a flaming liberal in the White House in a few years and the ATF changes its mind more than they change their underwear.

It's not worth it for a novelty. Want one? Sell your shotgun and buy a firearm.

IMG_0305.jpg

Your 870 might be acceptable now, but who knows what will happen in three years if the administration changes. Look at all the static around the sig arm brace.

That is certainly a legitimate concern, but worst case scenario is the ATF changes the rules and requires it to be registered as an AOW. Not the end of the world. I started the paperwork to SBS it tonight anyway, but just want to play with it while I am waiting.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top