JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Who here uses the Lee 2nd addition loading manual? Is that the latest version? How do you like it compared to the Speer 14 and Lyman 51st? Or others you may use.
A gentleman at the OAC show suggested it because he indicated it covers a lot more powders. I do fine with the ones I have coupled with the Hodgdon site, but wouldn't hurt to have another one. He said it wasn't crazy spendy either. Always looking for saving denero. Frugal is ME!

I have it but I find myself using the bullet manufacturers load data as my primary source, poweder manufacturers secondary... all free on the web. Unless your loading for some obscure caliber, Id say if your frugal and already have other load manuals that are fairly current then dont bother.

I have it but I find myself using the bullet manufacturers load data as my primary source, poweder manufacturers secondary... all free on the web. Unless your loading for some obscure caliber, Id say if your frugal and already have other load manuals that are fairly current then dont bother.
I kinda' figure the more loads and powders to look at the better. I've never looked at bullet manufacturers data. I take bullet profile into consideration/plated/jacketed/ I don't shoot alloy. Or solid copper.

I guess I should look at, say, Hornady #3037 150gr that I bought 500 for the Garand. Actually, I think those are in the Lyman book . I did get another 500 of Magtech 147 grain for the Garand too. So a quick look, and I don't see load data for those. That's but they are very close to the Hornady bullet's.

I kinda' figure the more loads and powders to look at the better.
To a point. This depends on how many different calibers your loading for and with what ingredients?
I've never looked at bullet manufacturers data. I take bullet profile into consideration/plated/jacketed/ I don't shoot alloy. Or solid copper.
You should, especially if you take into consideration bullet design. To me load data from the bullet mfg is the most important. The bullet is the entire point (no pun intended...) of guns and shooting. Similar weights from different bullet manufacturers might offer a starting point but only the mfg will know which powder works best for their projectile, (they usually indicate it with an asterisk) so your starting with more information than just the minimum charge to work up from.

I go to lee and lyman first, I guess because I tend to use older or maybe less popular components, or maybe because that's where I started nearly sixty years ago.
While not disparaging their data, I lesser use Sierra, Speer and Hornady, though their pages are well turned also. Regardless as to the why, and It may be in my mind only, but I found online bullet / powder mfg. data providing the least amount of options which left me wanting .
To keep shooting, I buy components based on what I can find "close enough" to lower cost as opposed to the best combination, (except my hunting fodder) many times the factory projectile data doesn't have the powder I want to use, or vice versa the powder matching the bullet.
More so If you dabble much with different components, having a multitude of up to date books, but also just as useful, some of many decades past, usually comes up with the exact info, or at the very least a really close proximity, thankfully minimizing guess work, and sometimes angst, of finding a safe starting point that saves work up powder.
A few times I have found loads in apparently serious conflict with another data source lending good reason for variety of sources, rather a tie breaker if you will...
Sadly (if its true) some of the conflict which I found woefully low coming from newer data having downgraded loads, I assume is due to liability trepidations though some of my work ups indicated had otherwise.

What Richard Lee did was to obtain permission to compile all available load data for a rather huge variety of calibers, bullet makes and weights, as well as powders. I got a new copy for less than $20, tossed in with a bullet order from Duck Creek Sporting Goods in Colorado. Am bummed that it has no .41AE data, as that is handload only since about 2000.

To a point. This depends on how many different calibers your loading for and with what ingredients?

You should, especially if you take into consideration bullet design. To me load data from the bullet mfg is the most important. The bullet is the entire point (no pun intended...) of guns and shooting. Similar weights from different bullet manufacturers might offer a starting point but only the mfg will know which powder works best for their projectile, (they usually indicate it with an asterisk) so your starting with more information than just the minimum charge to work up from.
So where do you go when there is no manufacturers data? Montana gold doesn't have data. Magtec doesn't have data. Going to the Sierra site, they have data. In a 150 gr bullet they have the same data for SIX different styles of their bullets. Six bullets without identical profiles. AND, looking at my load data in the Lyman book, velocities jibe between the Lyman book and the Sierra site.

Maybe if I was some long range shooter, paying $50.00/50 "Projectiles", weighing brass, reaching out to 300-600-1000 yards, maybe I'd care. I just don't see what appreciable difference would come from using bullet makers data most times. The gun barrel they use in their data? For me, and many thousands of hand loaders, similar bullet style/profile and same weight can get us safe accurate ammo.
I go to lee and lyman first, I guess because I tend to use older or maybe less popular components, or maybe because that's where I started nearly sixty years ago.
While not disparaging their data, I lesser use Sierra, Speer and Hornady, though their pages are well turned also. Regardless as to the why, and It may be in my mind only, but I found online bullet / powder mfg. data providing the least amount of options which left me wanting .
To keep shooting, I buy components based on what I can find "close enough" to lower cost as opposed to the best combination, (except my hunting fodder) many times the factory projectile data doesn't have the powder I want to use, or vice versa the powder matching the bullet.
More so If you dabble much with different components, having a multitude of up to date books, but also just as useful, some of many decades past, usually comes up with the exact info, or at the very least a really close proximity, thankfully minimizing guess work, and sometimes angst, of finding a safe starting point that saves work up powder.
A few times I have found loads in apparently serious conflict with another data source lending good reason for variety of sources, rather a tie breaker if you will...
Sadly (if its true) some of the conflict which I found woefully low coming from newer data having downgraded loads, I assume is due to liability trepidations though some of my work ups indicated had otherwise.
We seem to follow the same line of thinking. :s0155: You have definitely been doing this loading stuff about 6 Xs longer than me. You still have all of your fingers/toes, limbs, eye-sight? If so? I'm comfortable.

I still use a Lee first edition. Richard Lee only compiled others data, and only published the safer [ can I say Lawyer proofed] data. it is not watered down but none of it is at the extreme level. I like his books, and use them when its a new gun or new to me loading.
Modern data gives much more data to work with. The powder manufactures used to only give the "Do Not Exceed" data. And not the minimum or the pressure achieved.
So a lot of times I'll compare Lee's data to an unknown or a powder manufactures data before I decide to load. It's a known that I can compare to.
I also like Lyman and Speers books for the same reasons. But both are geared to their own bullets. Lee doesn't sell components only the tools. DR

Apparently, Richard has relied on the pressure testing of the various powder and bullet makers, as they are far above the usual conservative Lee loads - apparently the result of newer powders. I was quite surprised at the velocities in 45 ACP in the second edition. Example is the Hornady 185 gr. XTP at 1263 fps. Monster load. And a 200 grain jacketed (unk. maker) at 1178 fps. Vast improvements over the older 900-950 fps loads. And 380 loads from 80-90 grain jacketed at about 1050 fps.

only the mfg will know which powder works best for their projectile
Not wanting to repine, but I'm not in accordance with this statement unless you add: " in their test fixture" .
Some of my adventures in working up loads came up with A different "best", for my particular gun.
Too often to be a true believer in the (*).

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top