JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Yep, a lot of people buy a gun "for the home". Will take it to the range maybe, and in a drawer it sits. This is why so many low end guns sell so well. A LOT of people don't want to pay the price a better one goes for.

True, and not just that, there are plenty of folks that can't afford a gun collection, much less one gun. $500 to one person may be saving a few months, for another, it's a rent payment they can't otherwise make and it may take them a year to sock away $250. I'm glad there are options for those that simply can't afford the mid to high end guns, but can still get a reliable tool to defend themselves and their families.

I've owned the Hi-Point JHP (.45) and was pleasantly surprised that it was fully reliable and very accurate. Ugly as sin and a bit hard to learn to rack the slide properly, but once you get it down, you can trust it to run. Same with the Canik's, I've owned 2 so far and both were very reliable and accurate, though it appears the price has been creeping up on them. And in the compact department, the SCCY CPX-2 has to be one of the best values in 9mm pistols - looks good, shoot well, reliable, great price, made-in-the-USA and a lifetime warranty. I'm just glad there are options for folks that may not otherwise be able to afford a gun at all.

The only thing low end about them is the price! I would rather have three Canik over a 1000.00 Pistol. They do everything they are supposed to and after putting over 10,000 rounds through one, of the 9 that I have shot I have yet to experience a failure.
But I still can't wait for the CZ P-10, if the production triggers are as good as the sample, I will quickly pony up for a few! 20 years ago, I was Mr. 1911, I wouldn't have dreamed about picking up one of those "plastic pistols" technology! Glock figured it out, everyone else made it feel better in your hand.

I had heard the (J)Canik pistols had some prod issues, cracked slides etc, but you seem to have had good experiences.

After looking up the "trigger slap" on the P320 in the video, seems it is a thing, it's also a thing for the VP9 too.

Sig fixed it with a new trigger, seemingly adding a little mass to the back of the trigger at the end.

H&K don't admit anything is wrong, whereas Sig were servicing peoples guns for free with the newer trigger.

Well, when I last shopped for a new handgun, neither the Sig P320 or the HK VP9 were available on the market yet.

I ended getting a Beretta PX4 Storm. If you like the DA/SA trigger on your current Beretta 92, you will love the trigger on the PX4 Storm even more. Both pulls are super smooth on my pistol, and nicer than any 92 that I have ever handled or shot.

The PX4 Storm was not yet available in Stainless when I got mine. So I ended up sending mine to Robar Guns in Phoenix to get all the metal parts refinished in their NP3 Plus super corrosion resistant finish.

Fit and finish on my PX4 Storm is superb. I was quite impressed when I first got it. And with a polymer frame, it is just so dramatically lighter than a model 92.

Beretta also has a lot of custom parts that you can buy online from their Beretta USA web store for the PX4. I ended up getting and installing their low profile safety levers, as well as their fully adjustable combat sights. The gun's standard capacity is 17 +1 in 9mm, but Beretta also sells a slightly extended mag that gives the pistol a whopping 20 +1 capacity

Here is what my Beretta looks like with one of the extended mags installed:

berettapx4b-jpg.302492.jpg

Here is another view of the fully adjustable Beretta sight kit. It also shows how the new safety levers are now flush with the gun:

DSC_3179b.jpg

Beretta has since come out with a competition trigger accessory module that you can also get from their Beretta USA web store that one can drop in to the gun, to replace the standard factory trigger. But I myself have been most happy with the standard trigger pulls.

None of these factory kits are that expensive, either. The adjustable sight kit is only $79.00 to order, and the drop-in competition trigger module is $115

Here is what one of the new factory standard size stainless models looks like in a hand, to better give you a feel for the size of the gun:

DSC_0064.jpg

The only downside that I could find for the PX4 Storm is that both the standard and the compact size models are manufactured in Italy, and not in the USA. Only the smallest subcompact model is made here, and I really don't like the subcompact version anywhere near as much I do the other models.

Last Edited:
PX4 looks interesting, but I don't want too many duplicate manufacturers just yet.

Currently the top choice is a close call,but likely a VP9.

One thing on the top of my list of features is +P rated. If a manufacturer says no I pass. And the CZs are great but my Sig 2022 kicked my CZ p-09 out off the go bag. I like the larger slide to grasp. And shoot it just a touch better. And lifetime vs five years. Mostly moot because of Cz build quality. Must be +P.

My XD mod2 .45 acp. Springfield said shoot all the +P you want. Should last a while w standard ammo.

Yeah, that was my first impression as well. He did have a young sounding voice.
But then, as I watched how he manipulated the pistols, I could tell that he had some range time.
As I worked my way through the vid, he brought up some valid points that went each way.
Actually pretty thoughtful if you can get past the first impression.

My takeaway was pretty basic. Both were fairly even in comparison.
However, I didn't know that the VP-9 has the Euro-type mag release.
That would be a non-starter for me. Do not like the paddle release.

I am anxious to see how CZ P-10 does in the US market.
Supposedly it will fit into a G19 holster....kydex even.
So yeah, CZ is going straight after some Glock market share with this.

Last Edited:
The 4 minute stage had shown them on the range, must have dipped them in a vat of remoil first ;)

He may have made good points, but some of the earlier points were not only irrelevant, but also he was unable to come to a conclusion as to why something was a certain way, despite the manufacturers info stating why.

The 4 minute stage had shown them on the range, must have dipped them in a vat of remoil first ;)

He may have made good points, but some of the earlier points were not only irrelevant, but also he was unable to come to a conclusion as to why something was a certain way, despite the manufacturers info stating why.
Somehow I made it through and my respect for the reviewer actually increased as it went along.
He did give the PPQ-M2 a slight edge but was fairly even-handed in the pros/cons.
I am somewhat prejudiced in that I have little brother (PPS-M2) on my hip.
Now, PPS-M1 with the Euro mag release would not interest me.

Good luck in whatever you choose.
It's a fun process.

:)

Oddly, someone at work has the VP9 and the PPQ, he rates the trigger on the VP9 as the 2nd best trigger he's used, stock. Best stock is the PPQ.....

On the Euro style magazine release, long ago I thought wth is up with that mag release. I won't ever like it. Then fast forward a few years, holy cow where have you been my whole life? I can swap mags faster than ever. It's comfortable, never bump it and drop and mag unintentionally.
I always try to recommend doing some live fire testing before you say no. Sometimes it's the cats meow:D

I'm a fan of quit a few firearms, but there are a few that just should not be carried for self defense. I should make a list, provide photos of failures. And just have it stickied somewhere. Just refer to. Oh yah, that's a decent brand pistol for plinking, but they are forged in Turkey and when the slides fracture they send metal pieces into my legs and forearms :( see it happened to Velzey, we don't want that happening to my son or daughter!

PX4 looks interesting, but I don't want too many duplicate manufacturers just yet.

Currently the top choice is a close call,but likely a VP9.

Ah, OK I did not realize that you were collecting pistols from different companies. I was thinking more along the lines of keeping a consistent trigger system, that works like your current 92, instead of switching to a striker fired gun, which is very much different in operation and feel.

My PX4 is my actual go to gun if bubblegum hits the fan and I have to put someone, or multiple attackers, down. I keep it loaded, with two extra loaded mags. What brand it is was irrelevant to me in making a purchasing decision. I bought it for its features and performance.

Last Edited:
My takeaway was pretty basic. Both were fairly even in comparison.
However, I didn't know that the VP-9 has the Euro-type mag release.
That would be a non-starter for me. Do not like the paddle release.

Well, I have the exact opposite opinion of yours regarding the Euro style paddle magazine release. I personally think that it is fantastic, and would love to have it on my PX4, if I could. It is so ergonomic. Very fast and easy to use. Very much instinctive.

I have that style mag release on my first generation Walther PPS, which is my small concealed carry pistol, while my PX4 is my full size gun that I keep loaded and ready at home.

I sent my PPS to Robar Guns in Phoenix too. So it is also totally corrosion resistant, and self-lubricating, too.

DSC04510a.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
  • Centralia, WA
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
  • Stanwood, WA
Teen Rifle 1 Class
  • Springfield, OR

New Classified Ads

Back Top