JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So we're talking full size, or compact at a stretch, what do we think they are?

I'm curious where these are at, my first was the classic Beretta 92FS, i have sub compact/carry covered, but feel like maybe another 9mm full size would be nice to have, what's good these days? (not a glock, i don't fit the grips)

So we're talking full size, or compact at a stretch, what do we think they are?

I'm curious where these are at, my first was the classic Beretta 92FS, i have sub compact/carry covered, but feel like maybe another 9mm full size would be nice to have, what's good these days? (not a glock, i don't fit the grips)
Best full size 9mm non-plastic ?
Steel frame ?
I would have to say that the best, full size 9mm would be CZ 75 B and namely CZ 75 B SP-01 for the full effect.
Honorable mention goes to SIG P226.

Never been a 9 fan but if I was going to buy another full size my first choice would still be a High Power. Always did love the design. Sig of course is top of the line. One I have been watching for a while for a co worker is the latest from Canik. Co Worker has been wanting a gun for home and is on a tight budget. Wants one of the offerings from Springfield that he has shot and likes a lot. Just does not have the cash. After watching and reading a lot on the newest Canik's I wanted to go buy one. Even though I have no use for one. They are just so damn nice for the price you pay I am temped to buy one.

As Some of you may have guessed I'm kinda "old school".
So have been the .9mm pistols that I owned.
Browning High Power
Wather P-38
Luger from 1915
Beretta M-51
And for a little bit a Ruger Speed Six in .9mm

For more current pistols I like:
the CZ75 series
Sig226
And the offerings of the 1911 in .9mm ( stand back as lighting strikes! :eek: )
Andy

Last Edited:
I was given a Bursa thunder pro as a gift from a dear friend who was on his last leg from cancer.
After several hundred rounds down the pipe I can say there have been zero issues regardless of ammunition used.
Fully adjustable sites, amidextrous everything, points and fits my hand well and is is at least as accurate as I am.
17 rounds and came with 3 mags.
Would I have purchased one before? Never thought about them.
Would I now? You bet, it has turned into a great go to side arm as a full sized steel handgun.

...One I have been watching for a while for a co worker is the latest from Canik. Co Worker has been wanting a gun for home and is on a tight budget. Wants one of the offerings from Springfield that he has shot and likes a lot. Just does not have the cash. After watching and reading a lot on the newest Canik's I wanted to go buy one. Even though I have no use for one. They are just so damn nice for the price you pay I am temped to buy one.

I have the Canik TP9SF and REALLY like it for a house/camp gun.

Favorite carry: CZ 75D PCR

I was given a Bursa thunder pro as a gift from a dear friend who was on his last leg from cancer.
After several hundred rounds down the pipe I can say there have been zero issues regardless of ammunition used.
Fully adjustable sites, amidextrous everything, points and fits my hand well and is is at least as accurate as I am.
17 rounds and came with 3 mags.
Would I have purchased one before? Never thought about them.
Would I now? You bet, it has turned into a great go to side arm as a full sized steel handgun.
Bersa has LONG been what I think is a great deal for low end guns. Had many over the years. Wife has one of the 15 round. 380s. Mags are expensive but damn fine guns. Shot one of the full size while back. Again it left me wanting one even though I had no use for it. Just worked so damn nice for what it cost.

Never been a 9 fan but if I was going to buy another full size my first choice would still be a High Power. Always did love the design. Sig of course is top of the line. One I have been watching for a while for a co worker is the latest from Canik. Co Worker has been wanting a gun for home and is on a tight budget. Wants one of the offerings from Springfield that he has shot and likes a lot. Just does not have the cash. After watching and reading a lot on the newest Canik's I wanted to go buy one. Even though I have no use for one. They are just so damn nice for the price you pay I am temped to buy one.
The Canik metal frames are CZ copies.

:cool:

As Some of you may have guessed I'm kinda "old school".
So have been the .9mm pistols that I owned.
Browning High Power
Wather P-38
Luger from 1915
Beretta M-51
And for a little bit a Ruger Speed Six in .9mm

For more current pistols I like:
the CZ75 series
Sig226
And the offerings of the 1911 in .9mm ( stand back as lighting strikes! :eek: )
Andy
Good history lesson right here !

Well except for the 9mm in a 1911 blasphemy.
:)

P226 SRT, extended grips and 20rd mag's or CZ p09 19+1 or p2022 w 17rd mags or p320 if you don't like hammers. Trigger on the sigs felt better than the Omega on the p09 to me. The claimed 19 +1 is a stretch 18 seem about right on the p09. The CZ slide is much smaller and not easy for the little lady to rack. Still really like the Cz and know the trigger will smooth w more rounds. Springfield xdm or mod2 or cz sp-01 .Many nice choices out there. Good luck.

Last Edited:
For me, all a 9mm is good for us as a carry gun. On that regard, I would still have the Glock, S&W M&P, CZ p-09, Sig 320, and maybe the XD (although I'm not a huge fan).

I am sure there are several other good options, including those from Ruger, other options from CZ, Beretta, etc. but those are the ones that I would rank.

Bear, you've gone over to the Dark Side with all that plastic love !

:D

Edit:
Might as well throw in the Glock Buster, CZ P-10
(introduced 11/16)

That's very true, but like I said, 9mm's are nothing more than carry guns for me. And as much as I love shooting my 1911, and as big a man as I am, I have no hips and no butt, and no matter how tight I cinch my belt, all metal guns pull my pants down.

If it was just for shooting pleasure, I would have had the Beretta 92, the other CZ's, the hipower, and a 9mm 1911. Unfortunately, function has to trump aesthetics occasionally. Sadly.

So you're right on the money with shooting pleasure, this is full size for the same reason I own a 92fs, it's a real pleasure to shoot.

I keep hearing about the CZs but never looked into them, so the models don't mean anything to me yet.

The new Army P320 is interesting but I've heard they're a little sloppy and inaccurate.

I'm not throwing out something historic either, though I'd want to keep the price sensible, I don't know is what P08s and P38s go for.

The Canik metal frames are CZ copies.

:cool:

The last one I was looking at looked like they were making a copy of the FN made for the Special Forces. Can't remember which model now. I really have no use for one but at $350 they make me want to buy one just for the hell of it. One dealer in AZ had some for $275. If I still lived there I would end up having to buy one at that price.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top