JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If I may make two suggestions here to the OP...

Practice often , now that you have a pistol and ammo. I practice now monthly or even multi times per month.
Practice what is both safe for how you shoot and what works so you can hit the target.

And...
Try to have some fun with firearm ownership...it doesn't all have to be tied into self defense. True that, I am fully enjoying this hobby.
Owning and shooting can fun and for pure enjoyment.
Andy

I remember when I was where you are now. It was just January 2009. We had guns in our house, but my dad never shot any of them except for a deer rifle he'd made, and shot a deer with, from a model 1917 before I was born. Most of his guns were very old wall hangers. Dad told me I should probably take them all, ten I believe. One of them was a S&W Military & Police 6 shot revolver in .38sp. (Pre model 10). That's what started it right there.

Become VERY familiar with your firearms. Handle them a lot. Safely of course

All I'd offer in advice is, to a noob, you become so familiar with the 4 basic rules of gun safety that it's the only way you can EVER handle a fire arm.

1. Always treat every gun as if it were loaded.

It might be, even if you think it isn't.

2. Always point the muzzle in a safe direction.

Keep it pointed in a safe direction at all times.

3. Always keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to shoot.

This is the best way to prevent an accidental discharge. Get to the point you even keep your finger straight when you take a leak!

4. Always be sure of your target and beyond. Never point the gun at anything you don't intend to destroy.

Make sure you have an adequate backstop—don't shoot at a flat, hard surface or water.

Those simple rules will take you a long way, and never become obsolete.

Welcome to the forum. I discovered NWFA in Nov 2011. I made some mistakes as far as purchases and a sale or two that Wifey and I really regretted BEFORE I found NWFA. You'll find no better local resource anywhere than NWFA. The information pool here is massive and people are the most friendly and involved than anywhere I've ever been. And so fun sometimes you'll be spitting what ever's in your mouth on the keyboard.
You mentioned an interest in old guns? A good resource is ( gunboards.com. ). Membership there includes people for other countries. Their members are a little more serious and humor more subtle. But the information pool is huge.

See ya' around Jay. :s0155:
Always worth mentioning. Shocking how many long time gun owners will point a firearm in the wrong direction.

It's interesting to me that you were never really into guns and yet remember the calibers. I grew up never really into guns and couldn't tell you the numbers to save my life. Dad had a rifle and a shotgun…no idea the caliber or gauge. Good friend was stoked about his Kimber purchase when I was in high school…don't know if it was a .45, 9, or .38. First rifle I ever shot, bolt action something or other - 30-06. See, I remember that one because it was a marine who taught me to shoot and he thought it'd be funny as fück to see me get bit by the scope. And it was.

Interesting, what we pay attention to and remember. But, I digress. Welcome to the board. And, when you get into rifles…don't forget about the recoil ;).
Thanks Hueco
I am a numbers guy, not much for critical thinking though. Haaaa.... Or remembering what I had for breakfast.

My tips:

1. Check the chamber before storage and make sure of muzzle control.

2. Check the chamber before cleaning.

3. Get equipment set-up before handling the firearm. You don't want to be fumbling around with equipment while taking out your firearm.

4. Keep the action open when not in use.

5. If you need to water your local plants, secure the firearm by placing it down and not by your natural holder, ie. armpit.

6. Pick up spent casing, bag them up and sell or recycle them. It can offset the cost of new ammo.

Its up to you but I avoid Winchester ammo in white boxes.
Never a problem shooting Winchester for me. Hundreds of rounds through the AR.

I purchased a box of .38 projectiles as I have a lot of .357 and .38 brass now. Would like to learn reloading as a hobby but not sure if I am going to follow through with that one yet.
I reload to save money.

A LOT of money.

Sure, it's a hobby, but paying £18 a hundred for .45-70 Govt beats the heck out of £120.

I also reload -

2 different .357Mag

2 different 7x57 Mauser

2 different 7.5x55 Swiss

6.5x55 Swedish

.577 Snider

2 different .308Win

and cast for all my black powder rifles, three of which shoot cartridges, and a revolver, too.

If'n I didn't reload, I have to take up something less expensive, like flying a vintage jet airplane or yottery.

WRONG
You still need a good bolt action rifle, a lever action, a shotgun, a revolver, a 1911....
Lever action - have one now
Shotgun - have one now
Revolver - have one now

Bolt action - want one, would really like my grandfathers .270 and to know some more history about it, my brother may have it now though. I will have to ask him.

1911 - not interested in one really but haven't ruled it out.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top