JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If they are just range loads, $.50 a round is a little expensive. It also sounds like he dumped his chitty stuff on you. I would be very careful shooting anything that comes in a baggie. The stuff that is crusty should be a no-go and you should ask for your money back on those. You don't know how old it is, or if it is reloads which may or may not be dangerous. Unless you did the reloading yourself or have the utmost trust in the person that did it, you never know how much powder, what kind of powder, yada, yada, yada is in that bullet. One bad one could ruin your day. In the future stick to places like your local gun store or sgammo.com. Good luck and good on you for taking the training cc

Depending upon when last year, that could have been a fantastic price even for range ammo. Compared to going rate at that time.

Moot tho. Given he had no comparitor AND the price was ok. To him.

Agree on crusty stuff. He should ask the guy to clarify what it is. If just older. Meh, for handgun. If its reloads, yup no way no how.

+1 on Sgammo.

Factory ammo in a box is a must if you don't know the source. Steel ammo might arguably be better since it's usually not reloaded. I have bought and used surplus rifle ammo because it's not usually reloadable.

Congratulations on your purchase. Try to find a little defense (hollow point) ammo for actual defense. Not because it's deadlier than fmj. It's designed to stop on impact and not continue through people, wall, ect.

At this point I feel like I will train with 150 rounds or so and have plenty left over for months or even years of shooting zombies. Newbie.
I'd say 150 is not enough to be proficient. If you want to be good at shooting, it takes regular practice and range time. Pistols, in my experience, are more difficult to shoot than long guns.

Your intial purchase is a good start, but I'd say to buy more for range practice. And then some hollow points for self defense.

Nice gun BTW, be sure to get some extra mags to make range time more efficient and enjoyable.

-Robert

I'd say 150 is not enough to be proficient. If you want to be good at shooting, it takes regular practice and range time. Pistols, in my experience, are more difficult to shoot than long guns.

Your intial purchase is a good start, but I'd say to buy more for range practice. And then some hollow points for self defense.

Nice gun BTW, be sure to get some extra mags to make range time more efficient and enjoyable.

-Robert

1000 at least for a new gun owner.

If I may make two suggestions here to the OP...

Practice often , now that you have a pistol and ammo.
Practice what is both safe for how you shoot and what works so you can hit the target.

And...
Try to have some fun with firearm ownership...it doesn't all have to be tied into self defense.
Owning and shooting can fun and for pure enjoyment.
Andy

Here's some cheapish training ammo for ya...

I go through 150 rounds in about a half hour to hour at the range. It's easy to do with pistols like the one you bought. I shoot for the fun, so you'll see me at the range at least every other week.

. Try to find a little defense (hollow point) ammo for actual defense. Not because it's deadlier than fmj. It's designed to stop on impact and not continue through people, wall, ect.
This is why everyone uses fmj for hunting.

Lol, the opposite is true. It's illegal to use fmj's unless it's a varmint or somesuch.

Hello @Jay Walk . Welcome from the gun-totin' old broad contingent.

Suggestion: Go to the pinned thread in the General Firearm Discussion forum on New Owner Common Mistakes and read the several posts on Hang Fires and Squib Loads, starting with mine on the first page. These are potentially dangerous situations that can be caused by bad ammo. You may need to learn to deal with these sooner than most judging from your description of the ammo you just bought.

Your irreverence toward yourself as a new gun owner is entertaining.

Cheers, Carol

All good advice above. Thank you.

I make my first appointment for some indoor range training, I chose this particular trainer off the website as I recognized him as a previous customer where I worked many years ago, he is retired LEO and retired LEO trainer.

Spent a lot of time on gripping the gun as well as proper stance. I am glad I purchased these classes as I would have been doing things all wrong most likely. Nothing really eventful beyond that, I was happy to be on target with the majority of the shots.

I am starting to get pretty interested in shooting (I mean very interested) neighbor buddy and his wife like to shoot but haven't been I think in about a year. I found a nice little tucked away spot on the local forest, it out past one of the more popular and crowded spots. We have a good time and by now I am cautious of my gun but no longer scared. We cleaned up that shooting pit while there as well.

At this point I am becoming a little obsessed with learning about guns and rally like studying the history and development of ammunition calibers as well as history of the gun manufacturers.

I never did blow myself up with that sketchy ammunition but it did cause some malfunctions while using my new gun. weak rounds caused some failure to feed problems. Newbie don't know about squibs.

Ammo again.
I realize that 400 rounds ain't going to cut it and am fortunate to have three larger stores that sell ammo within five minutes of my home. Big 5 was willing to share their delivery day with whoever asked about it and the first time I purchased there was just me and my buddy and nobody else in the store. Same situation two or three Fridays in a row, there might be a couple people out front at store opening but for sure no lines. 30 cents per round was the price. For me there is not an ammo shortage because I can be there when they open the doors with plenty to go around.

Guns are FUN... I think I may need another...

If the ammo is defective and the round fired and bullet enters the barrel and sticks in barrel, that's called a squib load. If you fire the gun again you at the least ruin the barrel, which is blocked. At worst the gun blows up, and can kill or injure you or a bystander in the process. A squib load normally sounds different from a regular round. Teach yourself to pay attention to how the rounds sound and stop firing instantly if one sounds different.

Very smart getting some formal training.

I hafta laugh at your "Guns are FUN... I think I may need another..." Yup.

I think we humans have been aiming and throwing and surviving by aiming and throwing so long the drive to aim and throw is actually built into our genes. Look at our sports. Many are versions of aiming and throwing something. But for many of us, "real" aiming and throwing, the sort that can save our life or put food on the table, is the most fun of all.

Last Edited:
I remember when I was where you are now. It was just January 2009. We had guns in our house, but my dad never shot any of them except for a deer rifle he'd made, and shot a deer with, from a model 1917 before I was born. Most of his guns were very old wall hangers. Dad told me I should probably take them all, ten I believe. One of them was a S&W Military & Police 6 shot revolver in .38sp. (Pre model 10). That's what started it right there.

Become VERY familiar with your firearms. Handle them a lot. Safely of course

All I'd offer in advice is, to a noob, you become so familiar with the 4 basic rules of gun safety that it's the only way you can EVER handle a fire arm.

1. Always treat every gun as if it were loaded.

It might be, even if you think it isn't.

2. Always point the muzzle in a safe direction.

Keep it pointed in a safe direction at all times.

3. Always keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to shoot.

This is the best way to prevent an accidental discharge. Get to the point you even keep your finger straight when you take a leak!

4. Always be sure of your target and beyond. Never point the gun at anything you don't intend to destroy.

Make sure you have an adequate backstop—don't shoot at a flat, hard surface or water.

Those simple rules will take you a long way, and never become obsolete.

Welcome to the forum. I discovered NWFA in Nov 2011. I made some mistakes as far as purchases and a sale or two that Wifey and I really regretted BEFORE I found NWFA. You'll find no better local resource anywhere than NWFA. The information pool here is massive and people are the most friendly and involved than anywhere I've ever been. And so fun sometimes you'll be spitting what ever's in your mouth on the keyboard.
You mentioned an interest in old guns? A good resource is ( gunboards.com. ). Membership there includes people for other countries. Their members are a little more serious and humor more subtle. But the information pool is huge.

See ya' around Jay. :s0155:

Guns are FUN... I think I may need another...
And because you realize they are fun and DO want another you have many options.

There are bolt actions, lever, pump & single shot rifles along with revolvers in a hand gun but my point is don't think you have to 'follow the crowd' and immediately head out after a semi-auto Modern sporting rifle' or anything else black and plastic.

And because you realize they are fun and DO want another you have many options.

There are bolt actions, lever, pump & single shot rifles along with revolvers in a hand gun but my point is don't think you have to 'follow the crowd' and immediately head out after a semi-auto Modern sporting rifle' or anything else black and plastic.
I heard all the cool kids load from the muzzle end and have to measure their own powder charge for each shot.

Prepare for the future, this metallic cartridge fad will cool off soon, I predict.*

*Copywright 2021 @Andy54Hawken

Last Edited:
Factory ammo in a box is a must if you don't know the source. Steel ammo might arguably be better since it's usually not reloaded. I have bought and used surplus rifle ammo because it's not usually reloadable.

Congratulations on your purchase. Try to find a little defense (hollow point) ammo for actual defense. Not because it's deadlier than fmj. It's designed to stop on impact and not continue through people, wall, ect.
Yes, but hollow points are much deadlier than FMJ. Bigger hole, nastier wound cavity, more bleeding. Do not use FMJ for self defense for the safety of others and yourself.

-Robert
I agree. When I was in the Army and had free ammunition, I'd shoot 100 - 150 every lunchtime.

Every day.

All year round.

Run-up to comps I'd be shooting 300 a day, easy. Weekends? 500 a day. Sometimes more.

Being a lone member of a minority part of the Army meant that I was a minor unit, all by myself, with a minor unit ammo allotment of 27500 rounds of 9mmP and 16500 5.56x45.

Heaven!

I used another one of my training days with the 9mm enjoying what is rapidly becoming a fun new hobby. It's September 2020 however and nightly riots and all the other craziness is still in full swing. I head back to my local gun counter looking for an AR-15, I am pretty set on another m&p with iron sights but counter guy says they haven't been coming in. The store does have a Del-Ton Sierra 5.56, I kind of panic buy it after the employee says that after one of our past elections you couldn't get one for eight months. Not sure if this is true but that line worked. Twelve day wait on this one and I'm off to learn how to operate it in yet another training class.

I have a couple of friends with the platform and kind of thought it was silly that they had those guns. Never thought they shouldn't have them but I was pretty far from advocating them. Now I own one and my outlook has completely changed. I just put 130 rounds through it a couple of weeks ago, that was just as fun as the first time I fired it.

Ammo hunting is becoming quite the hobby as well. I keep hitting Big5 every Wednesday or Friday, they always will tell you when the truck is coming in. Eventually their deliveries get smaller and the line out front went from two to three people to about thirty.
I start to frequent Bi-mart and am building up my supply. I have a good supply of 9mm now, most of it was purchased at $14.99 or $15.99 per box but when Vista outdoors announced a 5-15% price increase in March and Sportsman's raised the price to 19 and 20 per box I was done buying. Kind of like the folks that bought at 9 and wouldn't pay 15 dollars. I have topped off my supply of 5.56 and .223 at 36 to 47 cents per round mostly Winchester 150 ct bulk packs.

I Donated to GOA and one other that I never hear from unless they send me an envelope for a donation, can't even remember the name. I did pick up two extra magazines for the pistol.

I may have made it a month and a half before gun number three...

Here's some cheapish training ammo for ya...

I go through 150 rounds in about a half hour to hour at the range. It's easy to do with pistols like the one you bought. I shoot for the fun, so you'll see me at the range at least every other week.
https://www.opticsplanet.com/winchester-active-duty-9mm-luger-115gr-fmj-handgun-ammo-100-rounds.html

Thats 49 cents a round free shipping if you get two boxes and its P+

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top