JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi all,
Long about July 2020 after decades of no interest in owning a firearm I suddenly was propelled into gun ownership.
I grew up out in the country where nearly all neighboring homes contained firearms.
Dad harvested food for us with an on loan forever 270 which belonged to Grandpa. This gun was stood up in the closet with ammo always laying on top of my parents dresser. I never touched it.

Three neighbor kids I hung out with
Kid 1 dad had a glass case with multiple hunting rifles in it and also a .357 under the seat of his daily driver.
Kid 2 his dad would do some hunting, not sure what all guns he had.
Kid 3 his household had a .22 rifle and .357 rifle and probably other although they much preferred bow hunting,

My position was that I just was not interested in owning a firearm as it just did not interest me.
I have always been extremely pro 2A however because the right to protect oneself seems like common sense to me.

Even so for me I looked at gun ownership as an awesome responsibility. That is likely my biggest road block personally.
Rona didn't scare me but Defund the Police seemed like a bad plan.
So off I went down to the gun counter.

You already know my first purchase but can you guess what brand?

d5397b36714b77add38499de39f0215f.jpg

Something like this is my guess.

-Robert

So the OP joined today, made this thread and then left us all to guess his purchase…….

Nah.

Since you mentioned .357 twice, I'll assume you bought one of those and I'm laughing at the thought of you trying to find factory ammo

I chose my gun (Smith and Wesson) 9mm , m&p 9mm 2.0 for a few reasons but mostly brand recognition and the round count which is 17+1. Remember I am a complete newbie and if fifteen rounds doesn't save me those extra shots will do the trick, In my mind anyways.

I walk up to the gun counter and pretty much tell the guy that I know nothing, I tell him what I am looking for and we look at a few different guns, he mentions that the Walther is good too and he has a couple but I stick with the Smith, I figured there would be a background check and that would take a few days so we do the transaction and he tells me 10 to 14 days to hear back. Seventeen days later I get the call to come and pickup my firearm.

I am a bit scared to shoot someone or myself accidentally so I sign up for a package of five training classes.

Got Ammo?
I had been hearing on the news about the ammunition shortage so wrongfully assume the stores are out of ammo.
I am hanging around with some buddies one day and ask if someone could sell me some 9mm. One guy says has has a source for some rounds and I call the guy and he gives me a price of 400 rounds for $200.

That sounds reasonable to me, why? I am a newbie and could not even ballpark how much these things should cost.
I make the purchase from a private seller, some are in baggies and look a little crusty and others are in original box's and look pretty good, he throws in a steel ammo storage box. At this point I feel like I will train with 150 rounds or so and have plenty left over for months or even years of shooting zombies. Newbie.

Congrats on the S&W. I have an S&W bodyguard that has been a fine gun for me. I'm sure yours will too. All that said, I think you may have been slightly taken advantage of with that ammo. If they are just range loads, $.50 a round is a little expensive. It also sounds like he dumped his chitty stuff on you. I would be very careful shooting anything that comes in a baggie. The stuff that is crusty should be a no-go and you should ask for your money back on those. You don't know how old it is, or if it is reloads which may or may not be dangerous. Unless you did the reloading yourself or have the utmost trust in the person that did it, you never know how much powder, what kind of powder, yada, yada, yada is in that bullet. One bad one could ruin your day. In the future stick to places like your local gun store or sgammo.com. Good luck and good on you for taking the training classes.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top