Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

L.A. gun buyback yields rocket launcher.....

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by waltermitty, May 14, 2012.

1. waltermitty

waltermitty seattle Active Member

LATIMES article
    May 14, 2012 | 12:51 pm

A $2,000 pair of pocket pistols and a military rocket launcher -- sans rocket -- were among the 1,673 firearms that Los Angeles residents traded in for gift cards in the city’s gun buyback this weekend.

Los Angeles police Chief Charlie Beck and Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa showed off an array of handguns, rifles, shotguns, rifles and assault weapons collected at six locations and piled before them Monday at a news conference outside the Los Angeles Police Department Administration Building.

Some of the weapons were functional and some were not, they said, but most still had lethal potential.

“You’re not hunting ducks with this stuff,” Villaraigosa said. “Too often, these weapons are used to hunt and shoot down people -- and that is why we are here today.”

Gun owners traded their unwanted firearms for gift cards from Ralphs or Visa -- up to $100 for handguns, shotguns and rifles, and up to $200 for assault weapons. Participants could turn in guns anonymously, with no questions asked.

This year’s buyback, an initiative of the mayor's Gang Reduction and Youth Development Office, yielded 791 handguns, 527 rifles, 302 shotguns and 53 assault weapons, including one with a 50-round clip and silencer. Last year the effort netted 2,062 firearms.

The buyback includes an educational outreach campaign involving police, gang prevention and intervention agencies, and community and religious leaders.

“In the four years we have been doing this, we have taken almost 8,000 weapons off the streets of Los Angeles,” Beck said, adding that gun violence has dropped nearly 20%.

Despite such efforts, there still are an estimated 3 million firearms in Los Angeles, Beck said.

He said he has “no problem” with legal gun ownership, but that unwanted firearms are often an attractive nuisance and can fall into the hands of people who might do harm to themselves or others with them.

“Your homes are safer without unwanted guns,” he said.

2. Ought Six

Ought Six Snoqualmie Valley area Active Member

I wonder if I can get a used LAW tube at some gunshow, and get $200 for it at one of these buybacks. There may be good profit potential here. :cool:

nwwoodsman and (deleted member) like this.
  3. deen_ad

deen_ad Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

No such thing as a "gun buyback"!! The government doesn't own them so how can they "buy them back"?

4. Cougfan2

Cougfan2 Hillsboro, OR Well-Known Member

That's really the point isn't it? They want you to think you have no right to own firearms without a Govt. say so!

5. Sun195

Sun195 Pugetropolis, WA Well-Known Member

I hope they're checking to see if these are stolen. I'd hate to think that someone can break into your house, steal your guns, and then get rewarded for doing so (no questions asked).

6. Cougfan2

Cougfan2 Hillsboro, OR Well-Known Member

That isn't the point of the exercise in my opinion. They have no interest in tracking the guns to criminals, just getting law abiding citizens to turn in legally owned firearms.

Gun control isn't about crime, it's about CONTROL!

darkminstrel, kev1, ogre and 3 others like this.
  7. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg WA Well-Known Member

No, this is anonymous.. In addition these items will be destroyed, probably with no effort to return them to possible victimized owners

Some of them may also be murder weapons where the ballisitcs and info on who had them could solve crimes

8. Sun195

Sun195 Pugetropolis, WA Well-Known Member

Buh...buh...but he said he has “no problem” with legal gun ownership...

9. RVTECH

RVTECH LaPine Well-Known Member

Probably not unlike some of the people turning them in........
    And a lot safer with WANTED guns.
    Already appraised before the smoke cleared. I'll bet these don't get hammered into plowshares........

10. netcarrier

netcarrier Portland, Oregon Active Member

Hey, Good thing that the guy in Spokane, Washington did not sell his gun to the govt. you think?
    Tony Portland, Oregon Area

11. FarmerTed1971

FarmerTed1971 Portland, Oregon, United States Well-Known Member

A 50 round clip!? O noes!

lol

12. duran21

duran21 Lacey Active Member

there is no way in hell i would turn in my $600 pistol for a $100 gift card... sheepeople need to wake up and hold on to those firearms.

13. FarmerTed1971

FarmerTed1971 Portland, Oregon, United States Well-Known Member

Or stand out front and offer $200.
    :p

14. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg WA Well-Known Member

One guy did buy an original, nice condition 1873 Peacemaker from an old granny at one of these buybacks.. for $100 or so if I remember right

15. bikejunkie

bikejunkie Salem Well-Known Member

Why would someone sell a pistol for a $100 gift card? Do they not have classified ads in CA? What a bunch of dumbasses...

Grunwald and (deleted member) like this.
  16. BANE

BANE Battle Ground WA. Well-Known Member

I think i'll offer a buy back. It sounds like a cheap way to get some guns for myself! :thumbup:

bikejunkie and (deleted member) like this.
  17. rayd8

rayd8 Formerly Portland, now Alabama! Member

Yep, they got a rocket launcher...too bad they didn't look at the label on it.....or at least turn it over for the picture....

120515gun_buyback660.jpg

plasticfood and (deleted member) like this.
  18. jeepseth

jeepseth Camas Washington Member

Hey, it has "lethal potential"! What if you were training with it, and dropped it on your head, or swung around too fast and took out your buddy! Lol! Looks good to the sheeple though...

19. bnz43

bnz43 eugene Active Member

Im not buyin it, thats a movie prop , that is Hollywood remember would not be hard to get one for propaganda. Or maybe its a giant light saber . I call BS.

20. nubus

nubus Guest

Yup, used to have one of those myself, no rocket of course, heck mine didn't even say "trainer" on it.
    Ranging sight popped up when you slid it open, it was a lot of fun to shoot bottle rockets into the trailer park with!
    Definitely had lethal potential though, IF USED AS A CLUB!