JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This person has no more authority to set Costco Policy than I do. She does not sign for her boss, she signs for herself. I do not care what she says, when it is in the official documentation for membership, then it is "Policy"..not when some secretary signs an email.

I have owned my own business, I have been in management in a public corporation, believe me, this whole email is some secretary's personal opinion and NOTHING MORE!

I agree. At this point I have not seen the policy to be spelled out in any membership-related documents. No signs are posted either. The only question becomes is whether they have authority to ask a person who is carrying to leave. While businesses open to the public have such authority, Costco is a membership club, how does it alter what they can and can't do ?

I agree. At this point I have not seen the policy to be spelled out in any membership-related documents. No signs are posted either. The only question becomes is whether they have authority to ask a person who is carrying to leave. While businesses open to the public have such authority, Costco is a membership club, how does it alter what they can and can't do ?

IMHO: Yes the individual MANAGER of a particular location could, if he/she would also agree to refund your membership fee. Reason. There is no corporate policy that prevents him/her from doing so. Also, as a membership club, the reserve the right to resind that membership for any reason (says so in the agreement)...but...they will also have to refund your membership fee to make that a valid statement.

IMHO: Yes the individual MANAGER of a particular location could, if he/she would also agree to refund your membership fee. Reason. There is no corporate policy that prevents him/her from doing so. Also, as a membership club, the reserve the right to resind that membership for any reason (says so in the agreement)...but...they will also have to refund your membership fee to make that a valid statement.

It says "Costco reserves the right to refuse membership to any applicant" - I assume new applicants, this doesn't apply to existing members. Then it also says
"Failure to comply with these conditions and regulations or abuse of your membership privileges may result in your membership being terminated or certain privileges being curtailed", but since the firearms restrictions are not spelled out, this doesn't seem to apply either.

Ha! I found another version of Membership Conditions, and it has it different:

"Membership is revocable by Costco without cause."

<broken link removed>

They are so full of it!

And another source :

Personal Firearms/Guns in Costco Stores

Costco Wholesale is a membership-only warehouse club. It is not open to the general public. It restricts membership to a limited group of qualified individuals who agree to membership conditions. We have the right and the obligation to our members, to enact and enforce membership rules. The Member Service Employees at the exit doors are obliged to follow these rules. By obtaining a Costco membership card, our members agree to comply with the Membership Rules and the Privileges and Conditions of membership.

Costco does not believe that it is necessary for firearms to be brought into its warehouse stores, except in the case of authorized law enforcement officers. For the protection of all our members and employees, we feel this is a reasonable and prudent precaution to ensure a pleasant shopping experience and safe workplace. Our policy is meant to protect our members and employees in all warehouses around the world. This is not a new policy and we do not customize the policy for each individual city/county/state/country where we do business.

Our primary goal at Costco Wholesale is to keep our members happy. If you believe that our policy restricting members from bringing firearms into our warehouse stores is either unfair or excessively burdensome, or you cannot agree to abide by this policy, or you are dissatisfied for any other reason, Costco will promptly refund your annual membership fee in full.

<broken link removed>

And another source :
Costco said:
Personal Firearms/Guns in Costco Stores

Costco Wholesale is a membership-only warehouse club. It is not open to the general public. It restricts membership to a limited group of qualified individuals who agree to membership conditions. We have the right and the obligation to our members, to enact and enforce membership rules. The Member Service Employees at the exit doors are obliged to follow these rules. By obtaining a Costco membership card, our members agree to comply with the Membership Rules and the Privileges and Conditions of membership.

Costco does not believe that it is necessary for firearms to be brought into its warehouse stores, except in the case of authorized law enforcement officers. For the protection of all our members and employees, we feel this is a reasonable and prudent precaution to ensure a pleasant shopping experience and safe workplace. Our policy is meant to protect our members and employees in all warehouses around the world. This is not a new policy and we do not customize the policy for each individual city/county/state/country where we do business.

Our primary goal at Costco Wholesale is to keep our members happy. If you believe that our policy restricting members from bringing firearms into our warehouse stores is either unfair or excessively burdensome, or you cannot agree to abide by this policy, or you are dissatisfied for any other reason, Costco will promptly refund your annual membership fee in full.

<broken link removed>

What I like is that doesn't explicitly say "no firearms in Costco stores". It says "...does not believe that it is necessary..." Now, I wasn't an English major, but "not necessary" does not mean "not allowed" to me. In fact, to me, that reads as "...we don't REQUIRE members to carry a firearm..."

What I like is that doesn't explicitly say "no firearms in Costco stores". It says "...does not believe that it is necessary..." Now, I wasn't an English major, but "not necessary" does not mean "not allowed" to me. In fact, to me, that reads as "...we don't REQUIRE members to carry a firearm..."

Actually last paragraph narrows it down to "policy restricting members from bringing firearms into our warehouse stores".

GAH! Sorry, I thought I was posting my replies in the Costco thread! Done with such discussion in this thread...

Back to the original topic - I spoke too soon regarding the "signing letter", Kitz did include a letter approving the idea of this measure, but asking for more measures to be enacted, too. Dagnabit!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top