JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My wife and I have been on a low carb diet after discovering the Swedish doctor's patient health blog that morphed into the biggest health website in Scandinavia years ago. The doctor has since quit his family practice to devote full time to his website now. Much of the info on the diet doctor dot com site is free but to get access to the latest information there is a small monthly fee. The newsletter is free and informative too.

The secret to cauliflower pizza crust is to let the crust cool before saucing and adding toppings (I use Dr. Berg's flourless recipe) so the crust can firm up better.

Something new since my wife and I started is to be aware that too much protein in a meal causes the body to turn it into glucose and create an insulin event.

This low carb - high fat dietary strategy is a health wonder.

Last Edited:
Started the Keto diet/lifestyle 10 days ago.

***Its fine if you don't agree with the nutrition program or it didn't work for you - it's working great for me so please don't thread crap this one.

My blood sugar levels haven't been this low in a long time and I'm hoping to drop out of type 2 diabetes into pre-diabetic and then kick that to the curb too.

Lost 8lbs, 1" off my waist and a lot of belly (shirts hang about 3" lower now) without loosing any noticeable muscle mass or strength so far.

I dropped my 5-6 days a week at the gym to 3-4 until my body is fat adapted (I'm going to give it about 3 weeks total and then hit it hard again).

I've found some good recipes and a lot of bad ones on YouTube - I can't do chocolate, heavy cream or spices (onion and garlic I can do). My wife can't do nuts so almond flour is out for her (she can do coconut so far but it's a bit strong on the flavor). Oh, and our kid is a vegitarian (more meat for me lol).

We are going to try a cauliflower crust pizza for her tonight and a fat head bread dough for mine.

Anyone have links or recipes for good stuff? Post it up, Id love to try it.

Thanks;)

Congrats!

I do not know anything about the diet - food so I can't help you.

Continue to get better with your health!

Cate

Before the keto diet was discovered this fella just stopped eating for 400 days or something.. and then he ate a potato and died.

Angus Barbieri's fast - Wikipedia

Just kidding about the potato part.

That kind of thing is not sustainable long term unless you change your food choices. Giving you the yo-yo effect.

I don't want to loose 50lbs over night either, I want to loose it over the next year or so - I have too many tattoos to have them all stretched and distorted;)

Tons of videos out there, this guy is my favorite - he makes since to me and there is a lot of conflicting information out there. He also doesn't sell anything.

Tons of videos out there, this guy is my favorite - he makes since to me and there is a lot of conflicting information out there. He also doesn't sell anything.

Joe, we've been procrastinating on going Keto for almost a year but this Dr. Berry videos give us new information and are contemplating it again.
We're in our early 60's and need a boost into our retirement years.
Thanks for this thread.;)

Joe, we've been procrastinating on going Keto for almost a year but this Dr. Berry videos give us new information and are contemplating it again.
We're in our early 60's and need a boost into our retirement years.
Thanks for this thread.;)

He has one that addresses a little older person starting it. I haven't watched it but it might be worth having a look at.

It is a little daunting at first, but if you ignore the whole calorie counting stuff and just eat when your hungry it works very well.

Make sure you order ketone pee strips to tests you ketone levels and look up his 'keto flu cure' cuz it is a real thing and that might help ease the symptoms. I felt very drained for about 6 days and then have felt like I have a lot more energy.

If you have any questions about it let me know and I can share what I have found or point you somewhere to look but DR Berry has so many videos on it and it seem to be all the rage that there are all sorts of recipies and tips and tricks on YouTube if you have the time to watch them here and there.

He has one that addresses a little older person starting it. I haven't watched it but it might be worth having a look at.

It is a little daunting at first, but if you ignore the whole calorie counting stuff and just eat when your hungry it works very well.

Make sure you order ketone pee strips to tests you ketone levels and look up his 'keto flu cure' cuz it is a real thing and that might help ease the symptoms. I felt very drained for about 6 days and then have felt like I have a lot more energy.

If you have any questions about it let me know and I can share what I have found or point you somewhere to look but DR Berry has so many videos on it and it seem to be all the rage that there are all sorts of recipies and tips and tricks on YouTube if you have the time to watch them here and there.

Yeah, it is indeed a daunting task to under take is why we've been procrastinating.
Will look into this more seriously this time.
Thanks ;)

That kind of thing is not sustainable long term unless you change your food choices. Giving you the yo-yo effect.

I don't want to loose 50lbs over night either, I want to loose it over the next year or so - I have too many tattoos to have them all stretched and distorted;)

At one time my wife mentioned that she MIGHT like to get a tattoo. I asked if she would consider a hummingbird (or other small, cute bird) over her heart. She asked "I don't know. That might be OK".

Then I said "Just think, when you get older it will turn into a parrot as the sagging begins. And the further into your old age, the bigger the parrot will get."

We laugh about that all the time.....:D

Sorry, didn't mean to derail the topic. You mentioned it and I laughed and had to share.

My wife signed up with Pinterest a long time ago. That site has everything! That might be a place for more recipes?

I've looked there but not a lot.

My limited experience with it is that I find something I want the recipie for and it links me to someone's heavily advertised blog or magazine portal and it becomes a frustrating search thru a bunch of opinions until I actually find the recipe buried in the middle of an article.

YouTube so far has been a treasure trove of ideas and I'm a visual learner so watching 10 min videos soaks up way more then reading an article will.

Sorry, didn't mean to derail the topic. You mentioned it and I laughed and had to share

No worries, that's funny:D.

My wife has no tatts and even though it's more acceptable in some places it isn't for everyone - especially the amount of work I have, people will judge.

Honestly, I wouldn't be so heavily into it if one of my good friends wasn't a first class artist and I've been able to trade my work for his.

For anyone starting keto, make sure to increase your salt intake. That also helps with the keto flu symptoms, which are in large part from low sodium

For sure;)

Increased potassium and magnesium will also help replenish your elctrolytes you'll loose with the water loss. Use supplements if your not getting enough in your food.

Good to hear you're on the keto train @Joe13! I started lazy keto mixed with some intermittent fasting in January. I'm down 25lbs and I can't remember the last time I had this much energy or a mind this clear. No recipes for you unfortunately, I mostly stick with a large piece of meat and some veggies.

I am so glad this came up. I have been wanting to do this as well but I am not going to pay for a book.

My diet this last year has been pretty limited in variety so I just had to make a few changes to go full keto.

It has actually increased the amount of types of food I can eat. There are some suprisingly easy substitutions out there.

If your wanting to get started but having been a hard time jumping into the deep end, I would reccomend starting to find keto dishes that will work for you and just go one at a time until you have enough meals to get thru a week.

Most of the substitutes will have many ingredients in common so it's not super expensive to replace all the suger and carbs in the house.

Like @Joe Link said, Meat and veggies (like broccoli not taters:p) isn't a bad meal;)

So my friend said look on Pinterest .
There are lots of recipes on their.
He didn't have time to tell me everything .
He is working .lol
But he said online research he has found a lot of food that you can eat

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews