JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I will never buy anything with the Kel Tec name, ever. My guns are mostly for defense against two footed hostiles and the reliability matters

Its funny that Keltec can produce a gun for years and people bash it. Yet when Ruger makes a copy, they buy it up! I do get a laugh out of brand fan boys.

Anyways, that looks like an interesting toy, would definitely advise waiting for the price to drop!

That is because Ruger has a brand loyalty based on the percentage of reliability. All manufacturers make a few lemons but some have a PHD in it. This comes from a guy who stopped buying Rugers for many years because Bill Ruger Sr was an anti gunner in some ways and backed the 1994 AWB

I know a total of four people who have ever owned a Kel-Tec (myself included.) For all four of us, the Kel-Tec has been our most reliable handgun. I can put dirty cheap ammo through mine that jams a friend's Sig and Calico. I found a magazine at the bottom of my range bag that must have been there for three years, full. Spring was just fine, all rounds fired flawlessly. (Again, el cheapo ammo.) I have never had a mis-fire, mis-feed, or hang fire.

Would I blindly buy a new Kel-Tec sight unseen? No. But my one example, plus the three other people I know with them, show an excellent record so far.

Did you have a bad experience? I have two and they (while not 'pretty') have been flawless. Maybe I got lucky.

No, reading the various gun forums over the years have utterly convinced me that they produce a lot of lemons.. glad you got some good ones for now but I am going to relate the best mantra I ever read about this

If you own a Kel Tec and actually shoot it there are three things that can happen

You own it and have not had a failure yet

You own it and you have had failures and it's fixed for now

You own it and it has failed and isn't fixed even after warranty work

I have a P3AT that's functioned w/o any problems. Maybe I got lucky, or maybe it will fail in the future - who knows? I'm sorta neutral about Kel-Tec - they are what they are.

The KSG is interesting, but for the prices they're asking now, I'd rather get a Benelli or something.

Look at the Belgian made FN SLP MK 1 shottie, I LOVE mine!

Here it is with a custom muzzle cover I made.. the Procyon strobe is not mounted but you can see the rail. I have all the best goodies added and can point out what those are if anyone is interested

Like others, I'm glad those of you who have had good experiences have had exactly that. I've known enough people who purchased them and had lemon-to-dangerous experiences with them as well as had conversations at gun shows and other forums where the experiences have been highly negative. Tied with feedback from gunstore owners I've bought from and talked to over the years, I'm very comfortable with my decision not to own one ever.

That said, while you don't always get what you pay for, a a lot of times you DO.
Personal experience can trump research, but research should factor in.
Only you can put a value on your own life.

I've heard that some of the newer battle rifles that Kel-Tec is turning out sound promising; I think that's great and will be interested to watch over the next couple of years to see if they're doing well toward QC. For now I'll stay away from the shiny rocks until there's enough feedback out there supporting that perception change.

No, reading the various gun forums over the years have utterly convinced me that they produce a lot of lemons.. glad you got some good ones for now but I am going to relate the best mantra I ever read about this

If you own a Kel Tec and actually shoot it there are three things that can happen

Seriously this could be said about any gun or product made by man.

With that same logic, you had better not buy a Ruger handgun because it will be recalled, and avoid glocks at all costs because they blow up.

Typically with reviews of ANY product you tend to hear more negatives than positives, simply because its far more likely for someone to post something because they are upset with a product, or have a question when something goes wrong.

Its best either to try it out and form your own opinion, or go by the actual statistics on a product with MTBF or warranty statistics, not just what you read on the internet.

With that same logic, you had better not buy a Ruger handgun because it will be recalled, and avoid glocks at all costs because they blow up.

Typically with reviews of ANY product you tend to hear more negatives than positives, simply because its far more likely for someone to post something because they are upset with a product, or have a question when something goes wrong.

Its best either to try it out and form your own opinion, or go by the actual statistics on a product with MTBF or warranty statistics, not just what you read on the internet.

Very true.... for every happy custmer they normally tell 1 person for every unhappy one they tell 15

That sounds really cool until the real world stories of bad quality come up and you imagine it is you defending your wife or children with a gun that fails

I really want the KSG to be GTG because it's such a cool design. But, I'm with the skeptics and it would take some serious testing to convince me that it was trustworthy. Now, if it was developed by HK...

That sounds really cool until the real world stories of bad quality come up and you imagine it is you defending your wife or children with a gun that fails

Thats why it's important to put a couple hundred rounds through ANY gun before you carry it for self defense, be it a kel-tec or HK (or especially a kahr from what the manuf. recommends).

I have a Keltec PLR with a few thousand rounds through it, several of them rapid fire. Only problem I ever had was during the first couple hundred and using reloads. Once it broke in it has been flawless. While I wouldn't carry it for personal protection, it is a 5.56/223 pistol after all... if the other Keltec products broke in just as well, I wouldn't have a problem carrying them.

I plan on picking one up a KSG once everyone had had a chance to Beta test them, production ramps ups and you can get on for under $700.

Compact bullpup shotty, 14+1 w/ 2 3/4", 18.5" barrel with choke tube capability. What's not to like?

I avoid a lot of things that have bad reps, especially things that can get me killed or increase my frustration factor

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top