JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Thats why it's important to put a couple hundred rounds through ANY gun before you carry it for self defense, be it a kel-tec or HK (or especially a kahr from what the manuf. recommends).

AH, this is a great topic since many Kel Tecs have gone hundreds of rounds and then flat out broken just as the 3 Taurus revolvers I once had did.. imagine a really bad day when you desperately need a reliable gun in the face of attack and you hear CLICK or nothing at all when you pull the trigger. It's your pizza and you can put whatever you want on it but you are the one who will have to digest it

If they came down to around $600 I'd consider it, mainly because it looks so mean and is such a compact, high capacity 12ga.
I won't join the kel-tec bashing club. They are an American company, making guns in America, with a lifetime warranty and very good customer service, and prices us serfs can afford. I picked up a P3AT a few years ago for a pocket companion and it hasn't let me down yet. Just because they have a name that doesn't sound Italian or German doesn't mean they are infeior in their market niche (compact affordable guns)

How true.. Kel tec is getting better each year.. did just shoot the shotgun and found it works well..

Just like vehicle manufacturers, I am sure some models are turds and some are great. All I know is my Sub-2000 9mm has never failed to fire or eject a round even one time. That's even after adding a recoil buffer behind the bolt for softer (non existent) recoil. I would trust my life to it because it has proven itself.

Even with all sorts of ammo. Slow fire, fast fire, 30 rounders, whatever. Trust me, I'm an ammo idiot. Sometimes I'll just have a bag of all sorts, grains, FMJ, HP, +P, all mixed together for plinking. My only complaint is the tight checkweld; not sure if I am saying that right. Hard to get my planet head aligned correctly, especially with ear protection/muffs. So I went with a picatinny riser on a quad front and red dot. Now fine.

I agree that the Kel Tec handguns are their worst.. maybe they got a few things right but i am never going to reward them after they have callously pounded so many innocent buyers and may have cost them their lives

One consistent through this thread seems to be that those who own Keltecs and have chimed in all are very happy with their guns. The naysayers have only "heard" bad things and "know a guy who's Brother-In-Law's friend...". Have you guys ever heard of a magazine called Gun Tests? It's very small because they have never sold an ad. Honest, unbiased reviews. They consistently rate Keltecs higher than other guns, then they tell you exactly why. An actual review. I get tired of reading the major mag's "reviews" of products that have three full page ads in the mag. Those reviews are bought. Gun store owners are biased as well. I wonder what their margin is on a $289 Keltec? Probably not as much as a Kahr. It may have taken time, but Keltec is a legitimate, quality maker. All makers have bugs to work out. I hear Kimber is having fun with the Solo right now. I can't wait to get a PMR30. Kip.

One consistent through this thread seems to be that those who own Keltecs and have chimed in all are very happy with their guns. The naysayers have only "heard" bad things and "know a guy who's Brother-In-Law's friend...". Have you guys ever heard of a magazine called Gun Tests? It's very small because they have never sold an ad. Honest, unbiased reviews. They consistently rate Keltecs higher than other guns, then they tell you exactly why. An actual review. I get tired of reading the major mag's "reviews" of products that have three full page ads in the mag. Those reviews are bought. Gun store owners are biased as well. I wonder what their margin is on a $289 Keltec? Probably not as much as a Kahr. It may have taken time, but Keltec is a legitimate, quality maker. All makers have bugs to work out. I hear Kimber is having fun with the Solo right now. I can't wait to get a PMR30. Kip.

Out of curiosity, which model would that be? On their site for the PF-9 it came up with this:

"There was a lot to recommend this gun: An an OAL of 5.9 inches, 12.7-ounce weight, 1-inch wide across the slide-all of which allowed the PF-9 to easily fit in a pants pocket. But the trigger function led to malfunctions for our testers, and in a self-defense gun, that is a fatal flaw, in our view."

Article Detail

And the P-11:

"The high capacity of this little gun is a plus, but we would have a difficult time being comfortable with this pistol for anything but very close-range fire."

Which is fine. My goal will be to keep anything "close-range" to be measured in yards, not feet. I'll take the judging twelve vs. the carrying six.

Last Edited:
The PMR30 was their gun of the year last year. Funny you didn't bring that up, only the articles that could be used to "prove me wrong". The P-11 was never meant to be a long range competition pistol. Actually, close range was it's intention. The bugs in the initial PF-9's have been worked out. Look at the "Want To Buy" ads on this site. Quite a few Keltecs on folks wishlists. Kimber, a high quality manufacturer, is having problems with the Solo. So, what ever you do, NEVER buy ANY Kimber, even after the bugs are worked out of the Solo. Bugs will be worked out on all guns by all manufacturers. I never want to be the first to buy anything, regardless of manufacturer. I carry a Ruger LCP for (very) light carry. I carry a Ruger SR9C and a Ruger P345. I carry those guns because, say what you will, every time I pull the trigger on ANY of my 14 Ruger's it goes bang. My point is, Ruger had a bad rep for a long time that they had to shake off. I have a feeling that in 10 years there will be forums along the lines of "How Could We Have Been So Wrong About Kel-Tec?". As far as the PF-9's trigger function, I personally am not a fan of a lot of the trigger reset on newer pistols. Re-inventing the wheel, if it ain't broke, don't fix it kind of thing. In the end, spend the extra $100's if that is what makes you feel better. A carry piece is meant to be a comforting "I am protected from jihadi's and rapist's" thing. If an H&K makes you feel better than a Keltec, buy the H&K. I absolutely LOVE S&W revolvers. I only bring that up to say that I don't only buy inexpensive guns. I am defending Keltec and their continued efforts to provide us with reliable, practical and inexpensive weapons. They get better with each passing year and after the PMR30 and the KSG, I can't wait to see what else they make for us in the near future. Kip.

I have some expensive guns and I have some inexpensive guns, and my PF-9 has been solid since day 1 without any problems.

Once prices come down to normal on the KSG's I'll probably pick one up.

I have in my hands the final issue of Gun Tests for 2011. Actually, The PF-9 is there 5th best pistol of last year. Right behind the Kimber Eclipse II Target and right in front of the H&K LEM .40, Colt Defender 07000D and Springfield Range Officer. That's good company to keep for a POS! I'm not sure where you came up with your BS, Sonicblue, but here is the review, in my hands, in their magazine. "We had not yet shot the Kel-Tec for accuracy, but were very eager to find out how well the gun did in rapid fire. We fired several two-shot bursts and learned it had a fine trigger for such work. We had no trouble whatsoever with resetting the trigger, no matter how fast we shot the Kel-Tec.". I don't know where your info came from, but I have the hard copy in my hands. I am not trying to be a jerk, but I do my homework and do not type BS on this site or any without the ability to back it up. Keltec has 2 of the top 5 semi-auto pistols as far as a legitimately independent, unbiased magazine is concerned. And more importantly, an opinion that was not BOUGHT by Keltec. Kip.

I just realized our disconnect on this. The link you posted show's a review from '07. These were literally prototype guns, I believe. Another example of Keltec receiving feedback and correcting the problem to provide a better weapon for us. Good Lord, you'd think I was a Keltec employee the way I back them up. Anyway, for your reference, I am refering to Gun Tests Dec. '11 Guns Of The Year article. Kip.

Not sure why you're so defensive. You made a statement about reviews from a group that were favorable. My initial search of their site (I provided a link) that wasn't particularly positive. Just going by what they were saying.

To be honest, I may have been a little sensitive. I took your first line "Out of curiosity, which model would that be?" as a challenge of my defense of Keltec and my use of Gun Tests as a reference. As you can see in my last post, I acknowledged a "disconnect". I am not looking for a fight and am actually here to get along with others on this site to make good, useful relationships with like minded folks. I was challenged on a statement that I made. I then "defended" it, so yes, I guess that is why I am so defensive. Can we still be friends? Kip.

When I was in NW Armory a couple weeks ago, I was talking to the gentleman about putting a deposit down for one. He said after they had to refund over $2500 in Keltec deposits last year he wouldn't accept a deposit. He said I could call everyday if I wanted to check availability, but I have no intention of doing that. My point to bring it up is that they are listing from them for $659. That price is definitely approachable. But it's just a matter of waiting for the "hype" to die off. I will keep my eyes peeled however...

all good, man :). I honestly couldn't find the other reviews and wanted to understand more.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top