JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I don't necessarily agree with the teach part but definitely the TAKE part - sort of like when people are cited for certain traffic infractions.
Maybe the 'teaching' part could be relegated to having to attend a class as a 'guest speaker' to explain what he did and how it could have been prevented.

Well, I had to take a class after a number of speeding tickets. I don't think it did me much good as far as changing behavior. Nope, when it was going to hit me in the pocketbook on insurance is when I slowed down. So yeah, I'm thinking something more is needed.

Last Edited:
Regarding firearm safety instruction classes...
Speaking only for myself here...

Should they be mandatory for everyone....No.

I would like to see a elective , free or low cost non political firearm safety course offered .
One that just focuses on :
Safe firearm handling...
Just how a firearm works..
Basic Ballistics / what do bullets / shot actually do when it hits something...
Basic firearms ID...

That said....

Courses / classes are only as good as the instructors , along with the student's willingness to learn and then apply what they have learned....they are not a guarantee of anything.

Courses / classes are open to "Standards"...as in just what one instructor deems a safe practice may not be deemed safe by another.
Which also brings on the question , just who gets to decide on the so-called Standards...and what makes one "Standard" better than another....?

If the course or class is made to allow for the "lowest common denominator" or a "One size fits all" style of teaching or solution...then the course or class is , quite bluntly put...a waste of time , money and energy.
Andy

There are no firearm accidents, only negligence.

Remember the five safety rules and you will never have a negligent discharge:

1. Treat every weapon as if it were loaded
2. Never point your weapon at anything you do not intend to shoot
3. Keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to fire
4. Keep your weapon on safe until you intend to fire
5. Know your target and what is beyond

I will also add that, when handling weapons, double check everything. If someone hands me a rifle and says it's unloaded you bet I'm checking the chamber and racking the slide three times. Safety is no accident and safety is no joke.

I'm glad nobody was hurt with this negligent discharge. The young man needs some additional training and I hope he grows into a safe and responsible citizen.
I want to add ... there is no oops when handling a firearm.....

Bugger hook off the bang switch till you're ready to fire.

I think he intententionally pulled the trigger, at least if this is reported accurately:

The 22-year-old man who fired the Sig Sauer 9mm pistol from the upstairs bedroom of his apartment said he thought the gun was loaded with a "dummy" round, according to police.

The reason to have a snap cap, is to do dry fire practice without any risk to your firing pin. I suspect he drew the pistol, aimed at the wall, and pulled the trigger because if all he was doing was practicing his draw, dummy rounds would have been nothing but a waste of time unloading, loading, and when done, reloading his magazine. His failure was in either putting snap caps into the mag but not checking the chamber, or putting snap caps on top of live ammo in his magazine and cycling enough to load up a live round.

Anyway, if my presumptions are correct, this is 100% user error. If I am home and want to practice my draw, I use a dummy gun -- just an inert lump of plastic in the exact same shape as what I carry painted bright red. Before that, I used a wooden model I made out of plywood to conform to the general shape and size. I have put snap caps in guns, aimed at a wall, and fired -- but only after obsessively checking and tripple checking to make sure of what was in the chamber. Honestly though, it made me anxious and so I traded the dummy rounds for dummy guns. My operating principle is that the first step in preventing accidents, is making them impossible in the first place.

Is it me or are these stupid, incompetent stories becoming more and more frequent? Does anyone else think maybe they are staged to help push an agenda?
Probably not "staged" but the press sure as hell love these things. Who the hell knows how many times they hear a story where a gun is used for good and they chose to ignore it. Yet anytime a gun owner does something colossally stupid they cant wait to print that of course.
Anyone who wishes to carry should do a lot of practice with the draw but why he felt he needed to have a dummy round it there? Since as already pointed out the dummy was holding the gun.

There are no firearm accidents, only negligence.

Remember the five safety rules and you will never have a negligent discharge:

1. Treat every weapon as if it were loaded
2. Never point your weapon at anything you do not intend to shoot
3. Keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to fire
4. Keep your weapon on safe until you intend to fire
5. Know your target and what is beyond

I will also add that, when handling weapons, double check everything. If someone hands me a rifle and says it's unloaded you bet I'm checking the chamber and racking the slide three times. Safety is no accident and safety is no joke.

I'm glad nobody was hurt with this negligent discharge. The young man needs some additional training and I hope he grows into a safe and responsible citizen.

IMO, #4 does really belong on that list, many handguns do not have a safety, including the Sig dumbass ND'ed with.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews