JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You should teach your recruits that a clip does not have a spring it links cartridges together. A magazine has a spring. Cycling them is what weakens them.

Ammo imop should be kept in a metal container. Like military ammo boxes or a safe. When ammo cooks of on the ground the bullet is most likely heavier than the case. They both fly with much less energy than the casing being held solid.

People should learn in the first grade what a trigger on a gun does , and why it is the true safety , you just don't go pulling it. It's a firearm !

Don't smoke while pumping gas. I could have just saved a life. :)
Ah but all, if not most, of those reading these little 'posts' are not from your world and call a clip a magazine interchangeably as most civilian consumers. I'm glad you explained it to those that might have never heard the difference before.

Any/All springs, the longer they are kept in a condition that is UN-restricted: either compressed or extended will weaken them faster. Sorry but true: Reference Spring Durability and Spring Fatigue link, Spring durability and spring fatigue are of great interest for springs and talk with almost any militery armor even the sniper team Sargent's if you need more on what a spring does.

If you "believe" that I doubt anyone will make you change your mind. Believing it does not make it happen. A spring that is sitting on a shelf does not magically weaken. Either does one that is compressed and left that way. This is assuming they were made right. The more a spring is worked the faster it will wear. This is why recoil springs will wear in time, the constant work. Even this takes a LOT of use to happen. Someone has been feeding you some myths they either made up or heard from someone else. I have a few guns that are older than me that have been loaded more years I am old. The guns and the mags still work just as they were made to work. As for links to a web site this is one of the problems with the "net". Anyone can make a website to say anything they want. If you believe Elvis is still alive you can make a site to say so and set up links to it. If it makes you feel better to change out springs that have been been laying around un compressed go for it. Not sure how you are going to know the new spring you buy is "fresh" and has not been sitting on a shelf as long as the one you "think" is now old and no good. Constantly changing them you are going to be a little more likely to run across one not made right too. If one is not treated correctly they can and will fail. Normally it will happen soon in the springs life. So if you feel better changing to "fresh springs" I would buy them from a good quality source.

If you "believe" that I doubt anyone will make you change your mind. Believing it does not make it happen. A spring that is sitting on a shelf does not magically weaken. Either does one that is compressed and left that way. This is assuming they were made right. The more a spring is worked the faster it will wear. This is why recoil springs will wear in time, the constant work. Even this takes a LOT of use to happen. Someone has been feeding you some myths they either made up or heard from someone else. I have a few guns that are older than me that have been loaded more years I am old. The guns and the mags still work just as they were made to work. As for links to a web site this is one of the problems with the "net". Anyone can make a website to say anything they want. If you believe Elvis is still alive you can make a site to say so and set up links to it. If it makes you feel better to change out springs that have been been laying around un compressed go for it. Not sure how you are going to know the new spring you buy is "fresh" and has not been sitting on a shelf as long as the one you "think" is now old and no good. Constantly changing them you are going to be a little more likely to run across one not made right too. If one is not treated correctly they can and will fail. Normally it will happen soon in the springs life. So if you feel better changing to "fresh springs" I would buy them from a good quality source.
Sorry you missed the original point or I was unclear in my original response to the original post regarding keeping your gun loaded, without use, for long periods of time and the effect on the springs taking it for granted that the magazine was loaded and the hammer was cocked.

Any/All springs, the longer they are kept in a condition that is UN-restricted: either compressed or extended will weaken them faster. Sorry but true: Reference Spring Durability and Spring Fatigue link, Spring durability and spring fatigue are of great interest for springs and talk with almost any militery armor even the sniper team Sargent's if you need more on what a spring does.
Not what I said. Working a spring kills it faster than leaving it under tension.

I don't typically unload my carry or house gun when I put then in the safe. My routine when I get home is to open the safe, put my EDC in without unloading and retrieve my bedside gun. Then in the morning same routine again without unloading. Other pistols and long guns are only loaded when I'm out in the field/range….

I'm wondering how many do the same or some variation of this?
what the heck are bedside and house guns? I carry a glock 23 and it looks nice any where in my home.

what the heck are bedside and house guns? I carry a glock 23 and it looks nice any where in my home.
Bedside or house guns tend to be full sized handguns or compact long guns. The idea is that you are not limited to qualities and features you'd typically see in a carry gun. Size and weight of handguns become less of an issue. Accessories like lights and suppressors may be more appropriate. Long guns may be more compact for maneuverability, and may have slings to help you retain the gun. They may be loaded with ammunition specific to your particular needs and preferences with regard to home defense.

In other words your sawed off double barreled shot gun so you can "Fire off Two Blasts" to scare them away. LOL Retaining the ammo in your bedside Hogleg when they figure you are out of ammo and cowering under your bed! Surprise!

In other words your sawed off double barreled shot gun so you can "Fire off Two Blasts" to scare them away. LOL Retaining the ammo in your bedside Hogleg when they figure you are out of ammo and cowering under your bed! Surprise!
Agreed I never saw the appeal of the double barrel when there are so many better options available...

Bedside or house guns tend to be full sized handguns or compact long guns. The idea is that you are not limited to qualities and features you'd typically see in a carry gun. Size and weight of handguns become less of an issue. Accessories like lights and suppressors may be more appropriate. Long guns may be more compact for maneuverability, and may have slings to help you retain the gun. They may be loaded with ammunition specific to your particular needs and preferences with regard to home defense.
Many years ago when I bought my first Kel-Tec folder in .40 this was what I wanted it for. With a sling and light on it, this retired my last "house shotgun" for me. The damn little rifle is so light and compact that it's easy to maneuver in the house.

I would like to add that if you do keep loaded
Guns in your safe, please put a note inside your safe stating that all could be loaded.

When we had the Wyoming Buffalo Company back in Cody, we had our business safe there open during business hours. There was a 20-guage Mossberg 500 in the safe "just in case". I put a bright yellow piece of tape on the slide, marked with black marker, "YES IT'S LOADED". I figured any employee who grabbed it ought to know... :)

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top