JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
11 things that make home-insurance rates soar

Guns

Living in a home that contains guns increases the risk of homicide by more than 40%, according to the New England Journal of Medicine. Insurers will generally cover gun owners, with caveats. Whether you have used a weapon in self-defense, with criminal intent or by accident will obviously play a big role in how much liability an insurer will assume. Insurers want to know that guns are properly secured, have safety locks and are kept out of reach of children. Failure to disclose that you have a firearm could lead to an insurer trying to deny your claims in the event of an accident.

11 things that make home-insurance rates soar - MSN Real Estate

Deen
NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member & Recruiter
Washington Arms Collectors Member
SouthWest Washington Arms Collectors Member
Second Amendment Foundation Member

There are 100 homes in my neighborhood if I use their math .................40 gun related homicides will happen ??
There are 20,000 in or town............ oh crap there will be 8000 homicides here.
There are 125 million houses in the USA....... OH crap be right back...............
No, "the risk of homicide increases by 40%" means that if it was 1% chance without guns it is 1.4% with guns. Or is it is .10% then it is .14% with guns in the house. It also doesn't say how many of those are self-defense or justified homicides.

I've had Farmer's as long as I've been a homeowner, I don't recall them ever asking that question. OTOH, I wasn't much of a gun guy when I bought the house 8 years ago.

Looks like I'll be calling my wife's insurance agent and taking him up on his offer to switch to Allstate.

Living in a home with hard drug users/dealers or other low life violent criminal types that are not legally allowed to possess a gun, increases the chance that a gun is in the home by 85%. These types end up being killed with a gun 90% more often than law abiding citizens.

These statistics are pure fiction as well but are probably more accurate!
:bsflag:

I have been happy with farmers for home insurance and just switched to them for auto as well. Had allstate for auto before the switch and their premiums were 30% higher than what farmers offered. I have a good friend who is a farmers agent and has been able to give me excellent coverage for reasonable premiums. He suggested I consider an umbrella liability policy should an incident occur away from home. The cost was around $150/year for $1mill coverage. It's an extra layer of asset protection.

Not sure I trust the study, I would have to read all the details to get the context and what they were actually measuring, but as for insurance. All my State Farm agent asked was what value I had in firearms to make sure the replacement cost was covered. I'm throwing the propaganda flag on this one.

I have state farm. Not only do they know I have guns...I have my collection insured by them. Costs me like $40 a year with total replacement insurance..no deductible. I if drop a gun in the forest and lose it, they replace it for free.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top