JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You probably drove the bullet into the case when you tried to ''Shove a rod in there''.

I asked about ammo twice?
I'm beginning to think were helping a drunk guy get his car out of the ditch. Just to drive off and kill himself.

Im curious on the ammo too... I also agree with your assessment on how the bullet got driven into the case.

I've had jams like this from loose primers as mentioned before and from steel cased ammo (with lacquer?) sticking in the chamber. Pro tip: You can pry between the carrier and the ejection port, but no matter how well you wrap your pry tool in cloth or tape it will probably still mar your upper. Aluminum be like that. :rolleyes:

Whatever they are it's very .........Hush Hush. :rolleyes:
Here's my Internet Guess...
hor8025.jpg
Or a reload using that bullet that was not sized correctly causing the jam.

DD
Who is now accepting Bass Pro gift cards in addition to the traditional Cabela's gift cards for his excellent Internet Answers and Internet Guesses.
:)

Brand new factory-built 300 blackout AR15 pistol build by Advanced Combat in Tulsa. I took it out twice, jammed the bolt forward both times, a half an inch short of being all the way forward.

I have had to do this twice with a new 300 blackout build.

After the first 12 or so rounds the bolt jammed forward. I tried for about an hour to get it out, since I didn't know about 'mortaring' the AR. Ammo was Sellier & Bellot supersonic 110 or 120 grain ammo…I don't remember exactly.

Second trip I got a half a mag down range and the same thing happens again. This was supersonic frangible ammo. The RSO mortared the AR and it came released the live round and freed the bolt. Both times a live round was trying to feed, but the bolt locked about a half an inch from seating forward.

I field stripped the gun and with the charging handle removed, the bold slides in and out of seating without issue. I stripped the bolt down and found no burs or other evidence. It was lubed and cleaned before both trips to the range.

I think the front of the charging handle was hanging up, but really don't know. The builder said he could send me a replacement BCG and charging handle, and/or I could send the upper into him.

Any suggestions?

Brand new factory-built 300 blackout AR15 pistol build by Advanced Combat in Tulsa. I took it out twice, jammed the bolt forward both times, a half an inch short of being all the way forward.

I have had to do this twice with a new 300 blackout build.

After the first 12 or so rounds the bolt jammed forward. I tried for about an hour to get it out, since I didn't know about 'mortaring' the AR. Ammo was Sellier & Bellot supersonic 110 or 120 grain ammo…I don't remember exactly.

Second trip I got a half a mag down range and the same thing happens again. This was supersonic frangible ammo. The RSO mortared the AR and it came released the live round and freed the bolt. Both times a live round was trying to feed, but the bolt locked about a half an inch from seating forward.

I field stripped the gun and with the charging handle removed, the bold slides in and out of seating without issue. I stripped the bolt down and found no burs or other evidence. It was lubed and cleaned before both trips to the range.

I think the front of the charging handle was hanging up, but really don't know. The builder said he could send me a replacement BCG and charging handle, and/or I could send the upper into him.

Any suggestions?
Have him send you the BGC & CH first. Easy fix if it works. If that doesn't do it ask him to replace the upper.

I have had to clear a few rounds that the coal was too long for the chamber using the mortar method. I was not taught the method and did not know it was even a known technique with a name lol. Seems brutal but it works. I would not put anything down the muzzle end unless I knew absolutely there was not a live round in the chamber. It should be obvious why. Even if I thought it was a fired case stuck "mortaring" is your friend. Be safe

Glad you were able to get the round out of the chamber. Never a fun process. I agree with the other users that "mortaring" (i.e. slam the rifle butt on the ground while ripping on the charging handle - also keeping the barrel downrange) is the best way to retract a stuck bolt. On a high quality AR with good ammo I've never had the bolt get stuck. Using cheap ammo or a budget build I've had it happen a few times.

The AR platform can take a lot of abuse if they are properly set up. Mortar it like it owes you money, insert magazines like they owe you money, slap the bolt release like it owes you money...and the AR will run like a dream. Also don't forget the CLP.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top