JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The SD9VE goes on sale often too. Usually at or around 300. Sometimes they show up here in the classified area for less too. Definitely a good start. I started my younger brother with this very pistol.

You are correct. I was misreading the pricing on Gallery of Guns. So, the SD9VE is actually a bit more than the Security 9.

I do stand by the recommndation of a used Police turn in Beretta 92, this would make an excelent shooter to learn with, and to hone your skills. It' just about perfect size and weight for the 9 MM, and as many can attest, it's a steller carry pistol. While being a full size, it carries surprisingly well, is as accurate as a 1911 or Browning H.P. and would make a decent trade in should you decide to go a different route! A major plus is not o my is it in your price range, you can afford ammo to go with it and you might be surrised surprised to find your wife will probably do well with it! It's a heavier pistol then a Glock or S&W, but it's not by much!
I have a pair of the non rail -92s on the way, one for me, one for the wife, both have been fully re arsonaled, and should be functionally perfect!

If the wife finds the 9mm you purchase is a bit much, but you don't want a really snappy .380, you can get the .380 in a larger, non-pocket sized pistol.

Browning, Beretta, Kahr, Bersa and others make larger framed .380 handguns that have a bit more barrel and weight to them which reduces the "snap" and cuts down on hand biting.

It's an option if and when the Mrs. gets her own pistol.

I understand that when it comes to opinions on guns (like many other things), opinions abound. I must admit I was hoping to see most of the responses, alright, at least a few, directly related to the questions asked. Nevertheless, I'll try to give a bit more information hoping it might help.

The budget is about $300. Both the Security 9 and the SD9VE are within budget and seem to be well thought of in this price range. I like the confidence of buying a name I'm familiar with, rather than a product I'm not knowledgeable enough to have an opinion on. Both the Ruger and the S&W tick that box as well. I would like the opinions (with reasonable explanations) from those who have actually fired these guns to offer their thoughts on why they would choose one over the other. If you have another gun you think I should seriously consider for about $300, fine. Just don't expect me to wait until a Glock 19 comes up for sale for $300. That would be a long wait for a sweetheart deal. Don't mean to be unappreciative.

My first purchase after 25 years of no guns was the SD9VE. I think it's a great piece of equipment at a very reasonable price, and can't beat 16 rounds of 9mm ready to go for $300!!

Just to echo what's been said more than a few times... there is no substitue for getting something in your hand and seeing what "feels like home". If it feels "foreign" in your hand neither one of you will want to put in enough shooting time to become proficient with it.

That being said... considering your budget... G19's are a dime a dozen so the "bang for your buck" factor is high. Not that a S&W wouldn't be an excellent choice, but, dollars to donuts, you'll likely get "more" for "less" out of a Glock. They are cheap to shoot, reliable, parts and accessories are abundant and inexpensive. "Cost of ownership"... not a lot of downside there.

With 2 shooters... the selection of slip on grips boggle the mind so finding one you can both agree on shouldn't be a chore... if you feel you need to go that route. Reading your remarks re: the Bersa, a 19 should be a solid fit for your wife. For you... adding a finger extension plate would likely make it a heck of lot more comfortable.

Is it the ideal handgun to tick all your boxes? Meh....

I own a couple of Glocks but they certainly aren't among my EDC's. Then again... I'm with KKG and others in the .40S&W camp so what do "I" know. :D

I am going to throw in that I love Berettas. Those 92s's are nothing to sneeze at.

Personally I would go 9mm for cheaper ammo and they really are sufficient for most things. I think a Ruger, S&W, Beretta, or Glock would all fit your requirements well. Glocks do not feel right in my hand. I have nothing against them, they might fit you perfectly, but because of this I would humbly suggest you at least hold each gun and see how it feels to dry fire.

Just another thought on the caliber from an new user...
I recently purchased a Hi-Point .45 ( It was only $120...don't judge) and my petite wife and I both felt that the .45 had less "snap" than the 9mm.

Another good line of budget 9mm pistols would be SCCY. They are about the size of a Glock 26 with an extension.

Walther also makes superb pistols.

Right now it looks like at least one site is selling the Creed for sub $300.

CDNN SPORTS - WALTHER CREED 9MM

Dunno about the sites reputation but Walther has been popular recently. I much prefer them over S&W M&P pistols.

And whatever you do, don't let someone convince you to buy 40 caliber as a price sensitive, recoil sensitive, new-again shooter.

40 is about 1.5x the cost per box at a minimum(and will probably go up in the future as LEO agencies move away from the caliber), and the recoil is noticeably higher. While this may not be an issue for you, new-again female shooters, in general, much prefer to shoot 9mm.

And 9mm is going to be more than adequate for SD unless you're shooting through barriers. Again as a new-again shooter, I doubt you'll be engaging bad guys through barriers.

Another good line of budget 9mm pistols would be SCCY. They are about the size of a Glock 26 with an extension.

Read where their quality has been kinda hit & miss. Like the price on the CPX-2, though. Just don't know if I would trust it.

Read worse about the Taurus line. Never heard of Canik, Honor Defense, or any of the following:

American Classic
American Tactical
Andersen Manufacturing
Armalite
Auto Ordnance
Bond Arms
Browning
CMMG Inc
CZ USA
Century Arms Inc
Chiappa Italy
Christensen Arms
Citadel
Crickett
Diamondback
FMK
FNH
Franklin Armory
H&K
Kahr Arms
Kel Tec
Kimber
LWRC International LLC
Llama
Magnum Research Inc
North American Arms Inc
Red Army Standard
Rock Island Armory
Rossi
SCCY Industries
Sig Sauer
Springfield Armory
TRISTAR
Tactical Solutions
Taurus
Thompson
Thompson Center Arms
Walther
Windham Weaponry

(Stolen & modified from the Sportsmans' Warehouse website. Not all-inclusive.)

Some of these may be very fine guns, but are complete unknowns to me.

Very good pistols, friend's father has one and while I don't like double action triggers its still a great gun to shoot.
Rock Island Armory
Budget 1911s that I always recommend, almost bought one in fact. Most people who have them love them.
They make great guns, surprised you haven't heard of them.
Century Arms Inc
This company is, for the most part, just an importer. They have built FALs and C308s (which shoddy builds in the past), and do make American AKs (which are crap), but generally stick to their imports.
LWRC International LLC
They are known for their piston operated ARs.
Red Army Standard
This is ammunition imported by Century Arms.

I could go down the entire list, but the post will be very long.

I don't have much to add, other than that I think 9mm is a good choice. I do like the .40S&W, but shot S&W Shield pistols in 9mm and .40 side by side. The .40 had noticeably more snap in the recoil. I shoot .44 Mag all the time so it doesn't bother me, but I got the 9mm for my wife.

I have a tendency to not consider cost of ammo because I cast and reload, so my cost for anything from .32 to .45 acp is practically the same. If I had to rely on store bought ammo I could sure see the attractiveness of 9mm.

Canik is a good brand but it's a knock off of the Walther P99/PPQ at it's core. I'd pick up name brand every time.

I've been tempted to purchase Canik but that's because I have plenty of hell and back reliable handguns already.

For a first handgun that can do 90% of the duties you need, day to day, I'd suggest midsize 9mms:
CZ P-01
Sig SP2022
Sig P320 compact
Sig P250 compact
S&W M&P compact
Glock 19
Beretta PX4 compact

And the list goes on. Those are capable at the range, in your night stand, on your hip, in your car, etc.

The only thing I don't do, personally, with midsize 9mm is woods defense.

Edit: sorry I realize most of those handguns are out of your budget when new, but I still recommend the form factor and caliber. Perhaps you can find them used at a lower price. Stay away from 1911s as a beginners pistol. They are too finicky and if you get one that doesn't run right, you're in a world of crap if you don't have a warranty. The other pistols listed I'd be comfortable buying used. Luckily your budget will keep you away from 1911s as well.

Last Edited:
Read where their quality has been kinda hit & miss. Like the price on the CPX-2, though. Just don't know if I would trust it.

Read worse about the Taurus line. Never heard of Canik, Honor Defense, or any of the following:

American Classic
American Tactical
Andersen Manufacturing
Armalite
Auto Ordnance
Bond Arms
Browning
CMMG Inc
CZ USA
Century Arms Inc
Chiappa Italy
Christensen Arms
Citadel
Crickett
Diamondback
FMK
FNH
Franklin Armory
H&K
Kahr Arms
Kel Tec
Kimber
LWRC International LLC
Llama
Magnum Research Inc
North American Arms Inc
Red Army Standard
Rock Island Armory
Rossi
SCCY Industries
Sig Sauer
Springfield Armory
TRISTAR
Tactical Solutions
Taurus
Thompson
Thompson Center Arms
Walther
Windham Weaponry

(Stolen & modified from the Sportsmans' Warehouse website. Not all-inclusive.)

Some of these may be very fine guns, but are complete unknowns to me.
If you haven't heard of these brands, especially really popular/good ones like Sig, Walther, Springfield, Kimber, etc. You might want to do some research. Everyone here is going to have different opinions on what you should get. Your budget is definitely limiting, if you could stretch it from $300 to $400 you would have a lot more options.

For the record, Walther and Sig make fantastic pistols. My Walther PPQ is my favorite full size polymer pistol.

A CZ is a great choice, but blows your budget, as do most of the other options listed!
Known brands that have good to awesome reputations.
Kimber, SIG, Glock, S&W, Colt, Browning, Rock Island, Star, Kahr, Walther, Canik, H-K, FN, Beretta, Para Ordnance, Springfield, Bersa, CZ, BRNO. Tbis isn' the be all end all list, but covers about 99% of the market of good proven products. Note, there are some within this listing that are not so good, so when in doubt, ask! Beretta,SIG, Walther, FN, and HK have a few products with known issues, and Kimber 1911s have been known to be finicky in the compact line! Most all listed push above your budget, so they wouldn't be in the running until later when your ready to move up!

Most every product line has had some issues, especially Glock. I don't think you'll have a quality issue at all with any of the brands Ura-Ki posted today except Kimber. For some reason people give them a pass for shipping out barely functional handguns on the regular. They call it Kimber break in period.

And I'm 1 for 1 on the crappy Kimber QC.... And I've run into more than 1 person on the range talking about how their new Kimber is malfunctioning. "But it's only on the last round so its not that bad"

Yeesh. And a lower capacity single stack gun too.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top