JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I understand that when it comes to opinions on guns (like many other things), opinions abound. I must admit I was hoping to see most of the responses, alright, at least a few, directly related to the questions asked. Nevertheless, I'll try to give a bit more information hoping it might help.

The budget is about $300. Both the Security 9 and the SD9VE are within budget and seem to be well thought of in this price range. I like the confidence of buying a name I'm familiar with, rather than a product I'm not knowledgeable enough to have an opinion on. Both the Ruger and the S&W tick that box as well. I would like the opinions (with reasonable explanations) from those who have actually fired these guns to offer their thoughts on why they would choose one over the other. If you have another gun you think I should seriously consider for about $300, fine. Just don't expect me to wait until a Glock 19 comes up for sale for $300. That would be a long wait for a sweetheart deal. Don't mean to be unappreciative.
Glock 22 police trades for $320 at recoil gunworks.

So, I made a decision. I just purchased the SD9VE from Santiam Buyers. Nice folks, and very helpful. Looked at a couple of Glocks while I was there, but just couldn't justify the extra spend. I also picked up a 100 round box of Remington cartridges. Just need a cleaning kit to get it ready for Saturday at the range.

Thank you all for the input & suggestions. I'm sure there will be things I learn to like and dislike about the gun, but that's just part of the process. Lots of great information to be had here. Thanks again!

Enjoy your new pistol! Let us know what you think. :D

So, I made a decision. I just purchased the SD9VE from Santiam Buyers. Nice folks, and very helpful. Looked at a couple of Glocks while I was there, but just couldn't justify the extra spend. I also picked up a 100 round box of Remington cartridges. Just need a cleaning kit to get it ready for Saturday at the range.

Thank you all for the input & suggestions. I'm sure there will be things I learn to like and dislike about the gun, but that's just part of the process. Lots of great information to be had here. Thanks again!

Good deal, don't think you can go wrong with a name like Smith & Wesson. If you're new to handguns how do you know what your likes and dislikes are as far as shooting the gun? I certainly didn't. I still like the feel of the Ruger SR9c that was my first purchase. It resides ready to roll on the top shelf, with it's laser, in the quick access safe. My point is, I think a newbie will get used to what ever they get. It's only after you 4th or 5th gun purchase that you start to get all snobby about grip angles, grip texture,triggers, etc.

Time to start putting away the change and any spare paper money for your next purchase! :D

I agree Mikej, point is get out and shoot! The more he gets out the more he will learn the likes and dislikes of different firearms. Usually a friend or someone you meet at a range will let you try their pistol and that is how you learn. Then the saving will begin!;)

The S&W M&P 9 Shield can be had around 350.00 ish is 8+1.
These are great carry pistols, can be had in 9mm, 40sw ands .45acp.
They are really accurate and even in 45acp not bad on recoil in 9mm it non existent.
They are well made and you can get options like nitesights, Californian legal on some.
For price and over all good firearm id pick this.

He wasn't really looking for a carry pistol, and a carry pistol in 9mm isn't exactly a soft shooter for him and his wife.

I am surprised how far off the rails this thread got with people talking about guns that were nowhere near the original question. Stuff like 1911s, Kimbers, ARs and AKs. And for cost effectiveness, 40 and 45 are plain wrong.

I'm glad to see you got your pistol sorted out, @anonEmouse

I want to stress two things from this thread: don't ask for gun suggestions on internet forums, and don't be afraid to buy used.

The classified pages here have some handguns I think are superior to the S&W, are in your price range, have already done 90% of the depreciating they are ever gonna do, and are likely in superb mechanical condition.

He wasn't really looking for a carry pistol, and a carry pistol in 9mm isn't exactly a soft shooter for him and his wife.

I am surprised how far off the rails this thread got with people talking about guns that were nowhere near the original question. Stuff like 1911s, Kimbers, ARs and AKs. And for cost effectiveness, 40 and 45 are plain wrong.

I'm glad to see you got your pistol sorted out, @anonEmouse

I want to stress two things from this thread: don't ask for gun suggestions on internet forums, and don't be afraid to buy used.

The classified pages here have some handguns I think are superior to the S&W, are in your price range, have already done 90% of the depreciating they are ever gonna do, and are likely in superb mechanical condition.

You are correct. I was not looking for a carry gun, and a few seem to have missed that point.

As for the "off the rails" discussion, I agree that it went places it shouldn't have. That's what happens when people value their own opinions more than the opportunity answer the actual question. I took no offense as I think their intent was to help. However, the process of learning has great value.

I did get the initial purchase sorted, and am looking forward to going to the range tomorrow to fire it for the first time. Having done enough homework on my own ahead of time, I knew that I would need to acquire a few things before I went, and needed to factor that into the budget as I didn't already have some of the items. I would need to properly clean the gun before firing it so a bore snake and oil were purchased. Hearing protection for me, and a gun rug for my new toy. I have safety glasses, a workable bag for the range, and 100 rounds to get started. I'll find better than what I have of each as I learn, but for now I'm ready to go.

In my original post I made clear what my criteria was and specifically mentioned the two guns I was looking at. Asking more knowledgeable and experienced shooters for input on them was entirely reasonable. Generally, I got that input, and a bit more. I appreciate that. Many of the replies suggested I increase my budget, which was already considerably more than I had originally intended (did I mention it had been 40-years?), in order to get me into a gun they consider to be superior to what I was looking at. Again, I appreciate their sentiment. Since it really has been some 40-years since I've owned a gun, I am effectively a complete rookie. That means my sensibilities (as well as my budget) will only reach so far at this point. It takes time and experience for that to happen. The same is true for buying used. People new to a sport or hobby often make purchasing decisions more seasoned folks would not. Without such seasoning, rookies simply don't have the knowledge or experience to have confidence in buying used. Again, it takes time and experience for that to happen. For me, at this point in time, I was simply more comfortable purchasing a new weapon. If I wish to purchase another gun at some point, I will likely ask for suggestions on an internet forum such as this one. Then, I will have the benefit of being more knowledgeable, more experienced, and perhaps more confident in my ability to make a more informed used gun purchase. After all, isn't this what these forums should be about?

You are correct. I was not looking for a carry gun, and a few seem to have missed that point.

As for the "off the rails" discussion, I agree that it went places it shouldn't have. That's what happens when people value their own opinions more than the opportunity answer the actual question. I took no offense as I think their intent was to help. However, the process of learning has great value.

I did get the initial purchase sorted, and am looking forward to going to the range tomorrow to fire it for the first time. Having done enough homework on my own ahead of time, I knew that I would need to acquire a few things before I went, and needed to factor that into the budget as I didn't already have some of the items. I would need to properly clean the gun before firing it so a bore snake and oil were purchased. Hearing protection for me, and a gun rug for my new toy. I have safety glasses, a workable bag for the range, and 100 rounds to get started. I'll find better than what I have of each as I learn, but for now I'm ready to go.

In my original post I made clear what my criteria was and specifically mentioned the two guns I was looking at. Asking more knowledgeable and experienced shooters for input on them was entirely reasonable. Generally, I got that input, and a bit more. I appreciate that. Many of the replies suggested I increase my budget, which was already considerably more than I had originally intended (did I mention it had been 40-years?), in order to get me into a gun they consider to be superior to what I was looking at. Again, I appreciate their sentiment. Since it really has been some 40-years since I've owned a gun, I am effectively a complete rookie. That means my sensibilities (as well as my budget) will only reach so far at this point. It takes time and experience for that to happen. The same is true for buying used. People new to a sport or hobby often make purchasing decisions more seasoned folks would not. Without such seasoning, rookies simply don't have the knowledge or experience to have confidence in buying used. Again, it takes time and experience for that to happen. For me, at this point in time, I was simply more comfortable purchasing a new weapon. If I wish to purchase another gun at some point, I will likely ask for suggestions on an internet forum such as this one. Then, I will have the benefit of being more knowledgeable, more experienced, and perhaps more confident in my ability to make a more informed used gun purchase. After all, isn't this what these forums should be about?
Well when you are at the range you can always talk to other people there most of us will be happy to give you some advice or what ever .lol when I'm at the range I'm always looking around at the others to see if I'm going to get shot because they don't know what there doing lol

Well when you are at the range you can always talk to other people there most of us will be happy to give you some advice or what ever .lol when I'm at the range I'm always looking around at the others to see if I'm going to get shot because they don't know what there doing lol

That's not encouraging. For fun, my wife & I would go to the boat launch just to watch the shenanigans as otherwise intelligent people would totally screw-up their launch & retrieval. Don't know why I would think a gun range would be any different. Wishful thinking, perhaps. :(

That's not encouraging. For fun, my wife & I would go to the boat launch just to watch the shenanigans as otherwise intelligent people would totally screw-up their launch & retrieval. Don't know why I would think a gun range would be any different. Wishful thinking, perhaps. :(
Lol I love the boat launch its hilarious to watch people trying to back up there boat

I guess what I was trying to say is when you at the range if you need help ask someone .lol like the title of this thread .its i been 40 year's sense I haven't owned a gun LOL GOT MY FIRST BB GUN WHEN I WAS 7 OR 8

I see your Avatar says Silverton if you're in Silverton OREGON There is another member on here that lives there .PARTSED is from there I have talked to him on here . he's s good guy I have not met him in person but he's in your area just saying

I guess what I was trying to say is when you at the range if you need help ask someone .lol like the title of this thread .its i been 40 year's sense I haven't owned a gun LOL GOT MY FIRST BB GUN WHEN I WAS 7 OR 8

Appreciated. As I spend time at the range I'm bound to meet folks and have the opportunity to ask questions.

Enjoy and looking forward to how you like it at the range. Next investment should be a case or so of ammo. Great place to check out is SG Ammo. Large selection and good price to your door.

...since I've owned a gun. That means I haven't kept up on things at all. I've been shooting several times with friends, and am ready to purchase one so I'm not always using theirs.

The main use will be range, plinking, and home defense. From what I've read, a good all-around caliber is 9mm as it's large enough to be useful and common enough to be relatively cheap to shoot. I don't have a lot to spend, so Glocks, Sig Sauer's, and the like are not realistic purchases for me. My wife has never shot anything before, so the plan is to start her on a friend's .22. If she takes to it at all, she'll move to the 9mm quickly. Still, recoil should be kept to a minimum in whatever I choose. Another consideration will be grip size. Her hands are smaller than mine. For reference, the Bersa Thunder .380ACP fir her hand perfectly, while it felt too small for mine.

I had initially settled on the Ruger Security 9. Stretched the budget a bit, but seems to be well made from what I read. Grip was more to my liking but seemed small enough that it might work for my wife as well. (She won't go gun shopping with me.) Then I started reading about the S&W SD9VE. Not only is it available for less money, but seems to be well thought of in this price range. Now, I can't make up my mind. Any advice, information, caveats, etc.?[/QUOT

I've owned and shot my S&W SD9VE for many years and so has my wife. No problems after many rounds put through it at the range. I must confess that I did a bit of trigger work to smooth the operation and replaced the spring so it's a smooth pull now.

Going to a range that offers rentals is the best advice I see so far. Having your wife with you is a must if she is going to be using the pistol. I recommend sticking with the 9mm; the 40s are quite 'snappy' (they need quite a bit of hand strength to hold them); the 45s are a great cartridge but unless you get a full sized one, they will be snappy too. If she won't go...buy what suits you best; it may be any of the larger calibers, 9,40, 45 if you want to use it for home defense. I have a shotgun for home defense, but that's me. Good luck:D

Is 40 better . . . it's different for sure; the wife will probably like 9mm better. You're on a tight budget, get the 9mm, ammo is always less expensive. As for 180 gr 40 vs 115 gr 9; you can get 9 in 124, 135, 147, 158 as well. There are also +P rounds in 115, 124,135 gr weights (though not all 9mm firearms are supposed to shoot them, due to the higher pressure). 124 gr is very popular; generally the same price as 115. Least expensive caliber you can shoot, outside of 22LR. Look at a used CZ 75B or D compact, excellent firearm, reliable, 14-17 rounds depending on the model.. Might want to consider going to a range where you can rent a variety of firearms, to try out. Go to your LGS and hold various models, to see which fits both of you the best. Nothing wrong with trying to keep it inexpensive, but get something you'll like to shoot and that feels comfortable in your hand, and to carry; if you plan to do so.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top