JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Lol I got a 1911 also guns are USELESS with out mags and ammo so I buy both mags and ammo my 1911 and mags lol I buy multiple mag and ammo for all my guns MVIMG_20180411_162412.jpg

If 43 passes and no grandfather, there will be 10rd mags for sale or mod kits available.

BTW, I've heard the the M&P 2.0 has a much better trigger than the gen 1.

Just another thought on the caliber from an new user...
I recently purchased a Hi-Point .45 ( It was only $120...don't judge) and my petite wife and I both felt that the .45 had less "snap" than the 9mm.

It has less snap because of inertia... that handgun weighs as much as my truck! Not judging... :p

Just another thought on the caliber from an new user...
I recently purchased a Hi-Point .45 ( It was only $120...don't judge) and my petite wife and I both felt that the .45 had less "snap" than the 9mm.
Hi-Points are cheap but generally don't have issues other than ergonomics and less convenient field stripping. You get what you can get. No judgment.

Arthur Itis has visited my hands and I can feel the recoil diff between .40 and 9mm. And .45 is punishing for me after a full day at the range.

Best suggestion I can make is to use SD round for self-defense, not FMJ (ball ammo). Even my .45 had hollow points in it.

Here is an interesting article: http://www.policemag.com/channel/weapons/articles/2016/01/9mm-vs-40-caliber.aspx

If I actually find myself in a position where I need to fire my weapon at another human being, it seems better to me to be able to hit what I'm shooting at.

Yes, an interesting article.

Clearly there's a love affair with Glock. Perhaps it's warranted, but I wouldn't know. I've seen the term "Police turn-in" in the classifieds, but know nothing about what that means. Sorry, too green to have that knowledge yet. I wanted to keep my first purchase simple, not expecting to find my perfect forever handgun. Perhaps I just need to go buy something and start there. $300 isn't much to work with I know. I can get the S&W SD9VE for $240, which leaves room in my budget for ammo and a cleaning kit. The warranty is a nice thing to have too.
I have both the Smith and the Ruger. Both have performed flawlessly, and probably would for you as well. My best suggestion would be to find a dealer or range where you and your wife can handle both and reach a mutual decision. If forced to choose between the two I would have a difficult time as the balance sheets on both are pretty comparable.

I will be different
You guys can hate on Kimber all you want, I did the FrontSite Challenge with a well broken in full size 1911 and it ran the whole course with out a single FTF! I also ran a torture test of that Kimber, matched J.M. Browning's original U.S. Army trials, no failures! Show me another pistol that can do ether with out failure or melting the rail bosses and I will buy two! LOL Beretta M-9 are the only other I have seen that can match that, Lets see a Glock make it through that!!!

Well there a reason some dont like Kimber, its because they heard something somewhere and not from ownership. Reliability has never been an issue on mine. Its a keeper.

At 50' standing 5 shots wont all go in the same hole. Dam Kimber !

IMG_1218.JPG
IMG_1220.JPG

Made it to page 3...

Of the two, I would get the SD9VE.

The SD9VE is a refinement of a 25+ year old design on Smith's part, which is in fact a close copy of the Glock. S&W made some changes, because they lost a lawsuit to Glock because the original Sigma had interchaneable parts with the Glock.

Aside from horrible triggers, they have historically not been terrible guns. The SD9VE has an acceptible trigger, especially for a $300 gun. Its lightyears better than older generation Sigmas.

16+1 round capacity, good ergonomics, and upgrades available when/if you choose to do so. The sights use identical dovetails as the M&P line, and you can use any M&P sights on the SD series. Apex also makes triggers fir the SD9 should you get more funds and want a better trigger.

I cannot fault Ruger from reliability standpoint, but I don't like their polymer offerings. Don't like the ergos, don't care for how they shoot. The LC9/S may be the exception, but not a big SR or Security 9 fan.

Otherwise being budget limited, I'd go used. You get more gun for the money used. I would personally take a used Glock or M&P over a brand new SD9 or Ruger. Quality and aftermarket are better on the next bump in budget over the entry level guns.

If your looking at Glock and M&P you should look at the Sig 2022 and the CZ p-09 . Don't lock yourself into one platform. Handle them and shoot them if possible. You may want a safety or da\sa. Pull some triggers as well. Many striker fire triggers are a long mushy pull that's not for me. Springfield XDs have a grip safety that i prefer over the non safety striker pistols. And a proper grip angle.

Either pistol your looking at should be reliable. What feels and points best for you ? Which one has the better trigger ? Buy the one your proud to own and shoot. Nightsights if possible.

If you buy a Glock you'll get 15 likes every time you mention it . Lol

My wife shot my M&P 9mm many times, at the range a friend handed her a compact .40 and it killed her wrist so now she won't even shoot my 9mm anymore. I did notice more snap to the .40 it didn't bother me but it ruined pistol shooting for her. After a year I have her back on the .22 at least. Of the two pistols you listed in my opinion buy what fits her and your hands the best.

Probably my ignorance showing, but I didn't know you could get a cartridge to ignite out of battery in a modern semiautomatic pistol. Looks like I've got some reading up to do...

Edit: should read "far enough out of battery for it to be noticeable in a modern semiautomatic pistol."

Last Edited:
So, I made a decision. I just purchased the SD9VE from Santiam Buyers. Nice folks, and very helpful. Looked at a couple of Glocks while I was there, but just couldn't justify the extra spend. I also picked up a 100 round box of Remington cartridges. Just need a cleaning kit to get it ready for Saturday at the range.

Thank you all for the input & suggestions. I'm sure there will be things I learn to like and dislike about the gun, but that's just part of the process. Lots of great information to be had here. Thanks again!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top