JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Is this rust or copper fouling?

• Rust

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Copper Fouling

Votes: 31 96.9%

• Total voters
The tattle tale sign, besides the coppery color, is the uniformity of the lines and their concentration in the shoulders of the rifling.

Rust will not only be darker and not shiny, it'll also be kind of spotty and random about the barrel.

If you start shooting lead, look for dull gray material in the shoulders of the rifling.

The tattle tale sign, besides the coppery color, is the uniformity of the lines and their concentration in the shoulders of the rifling.

Rust will not only be darker and not shiny, it'll also be kind of spotty and random about the barrel.

If you start shooting lead, look for dull gray material in the shoulders of the rifling.

Mind. Blown. :D

Well I kind of shat a brick too the first time I saw lead fouling in a barrel of my S&W 1006.

It was super heavy so the lead fingers actually separated from the rifling shoulder, I thought I had destroyed the barrel somehow.

I wanted to indicate how to tell the difference just in case he ever sees that other common fouling type.

Well I kind of shat a brick too the first time I saw lead fouling in a barrel of my S&W 1006.

It was super heavy so the lead fingers actually separated from the rifling shoulder, I thought I had destroyed the barrel somehow.

I wanted to indicate how to tell the difference just in case he ever sees that other common fouling type.

I know brother. It was my lousy sense of humor that wrecked things. You did good. :)

Rust.

Throw it out.

Actually, keep shooting it until it loses it's accuracy. Then clean, season the barrel again and keep shooting.

Lead fouling is fun.

Especially a brick or two through a 10/22, type lead fouling.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top