JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I bought this new scope mount from Bassett Machine last week. It arrived rusty. They are not responding to my requests to exchange it. The threads and the head of the bolt have surface rust. I'm tempted to keep it and soak it in EvapoRust instead of doing a chargeback. I'd be interested in hearing others' opinions first.

DCE5410B-9D35-439C-A4C7-931BAE6AB37E.jpeg EE9DCBEF-80F0-4BED-BBE6-CF994E55BEF1.jpeg

Boil the rusted parts in water and lightly brush off the softened rust. I have used this method on lightly rusted milsurp parts with impressive results. I learned it from Mark Novak's YouTube videos. I think his channel is called Anvil.

White vinegar has been my go to deruster for decades, a little steel wool to polish, I like to add cold blue if appropriate and all but the suppliers short cummings will right. Screws are not fun for me, hard to hold and manipulate.

I believe Mark Novak used distilled water to convert the rust Boiling in distilled water or captured rainwater will convert the red rust(ferrous oxide) to black rust (ferro-ferric oxide) and will soften the rust making it easy to remove with steel wool or a soft wire brush.

If you use anything that removes the rust, it's going to also remove bluing. Bluing is rust, and Evaporust will leave it bare. Just use some 4/0 steel wool dipped in trans fluid to rub the rust off. ATF and 4/0 steel wool wont hurt the scope mount at all.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top