JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Would it depend on the definition of "transfer"? Does that occur when you fill out the forms, thumb prints and pay? Or is it when there's a physical handing of the firearm to the buyer after they clear BGC? Might be a mess if an FFL on or after December 8 says they can't "transfer" the firearm to someone who's been waiting two weeks in BGC queue before approval

[No research was performed before posting this]
To quote myself, after reading part of 114, sounds like a "transfer" occurs or is completed when the dealer hands the buyer the firearm after BGC etc. approval (not legal advice)

ORS 166.412(2)(e): "The gun dealer shall receive a unique approval number for the transfer from the department and record the approval number on the firearms transaction record and on the firearms transaction thumbprint form."

This happens after the dealer "by telephone or computer, verif[ies] that the purchaser has a valid permit-to-purchase a firearm issued under section 4 of this 2022 Act and request that the department conduct a criminal history record check on the purchaser".

ORS 166.412(3)(c): "The dealer may not transfer the firearm unless the dealer receives a unique approval number from the department and, within 48 hours of completing the transfer, the dealer shall notify the state that the transfer to the permit holder was completed."

To quote myself, after reading part of 114, sounds like a "transfer" occurs or is completed when the dealer hands the buyer the firearm after BGC etc. approval (not legal advice)

ORS 166.412(2)(e): "The gun dealer shall receive a unique approval number for the transfer from the department and record the approval number on the firearms transaction record and on the firearms transaction thumbprint form." This happens after the dealer "by telephone or computer, verif[ies] that the purchaser has a valid permit-to-purchase a firearm issued under section 4 of this 2022 Act and request that the department conduct a criminal history record check on the purchaser".

ORS 166.412(3)(c): "The dealer may not transfer the firearm unless the dealer receives a unique approval number from the department and, within 48 hours of completing the transfer, the dealer shall notify the state that the transfer to the permit holder was completed."
"Transfer" for a lot of those in the 9000 and growing ain't gonna be in time!!!

From Sportsman's Warehouse:

On and after December 08, 2022 (Thursday) all firearm buyers must have an Oregon Firearm Purchase Permit to purchase ANY firearm.
At this time there are no known OR law enforcement agencies issuing the Oregon Firearm Purchase Permit.

I honestly didn't know it would be this bad. At least it will be totally safe to walk around Portland at any time of day now.
yeah Sportsmans can ram it up Tina's arse. They all can for that matter.

I been trying to focus on ammo only since summer. A few firearms I couldn't resist did end up in the stable. What I need most now is space and ammo cans.
Sportsman's guide has good deals on ammo cans sometimes (Current ones shown below fwiw). If you have over $100 in your cart you can use "ultimate20" code to reduce by $20 and has free shipping as I recall.

Sometimes they have buy one get one deals and if you get a 3 pack that counts as "one". Then use ultimate 20 code on top of that. Haven't seen the buy one get one for a few months though.

B24847F0-6343-49B3-9765-B74316B0AE83.jpeg

Last Edited:
I been trying to focus on ammo only since summer. A few firearms I couldn't resist did end up in the stable. What I need most now is space and ammo cans.

I bought a set of these at Bimart recently for the same price. They are for storage and if you want to throw them around they break.

So what if the backlog exceeds the timeframe. As in, what if I buy a firearm today and the wait is some insane 6 week backlog (or however long it takes to get to 12/8/22)

Shouldnt those in line be approved?

Id buy now and avoid it.. however something tells me the system will be absolutely jacked.

This is so messed up Joseph Heller would be proud. Screw em… pee in the towel bin and shyt in the urinal. You wanna play communist rules… live the commie bathroom hell. Phuck sportsmans warehouse. I gave up on their BS BRC rules long ago. OR is now phucked. No gun will clear by 12/8. I predict a no transfer status for 6+ mo. Total resale FFL collapse. Just watch.

Last Edited:
The state said they would give me 30 days notice as to when it would take affect. Watch for a note on the background check login page. ( where the state posts important information for us FFL holders.
I think sportsman's is just being careful. And not wanting to get to bogged down in paperwork.
This is the man I would listen to.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR