JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
TCGC sent out an email stating that they are stopping all new 4473s as the queue is so long it might be longer to get approved than the grace period between now and 12/8.

I haven't heard anything about if you are in queue before Dec 8th your good?
Would it depend on the definition of "transfer"? Does that occur when you fill out the forms, thumb prints and pay? Or is it when there's a physical handing of the firearm to the buyer after they clear BGC? Might be a mess if an FFL on or after December 8 says they can't "transfer" the firearm to someone who's been waiting two weeks in BGC queue before approval

[No research was performed before posting this]

I'm just an observer of this but I've been following it.

If this is true then it's not a good time to buy a gun because if you get delayed you won't get that gun until a training system is set up or they throw 114 out. Prepare for a long wait.
This is a Catch 22. Seems like you could rush out and buy one before the effective date (see below) but if the BGC was delayed, you couldn't get your gun until the new requirements were satisfied. Which cannot yet be done because the "system" isn't set up yet.

The state said they would give me 30 days notice as to when it would take affect.
I read through the bill three times, and couldn't find an effective date. In Wash, the date is usually specified. Did I miss something? Where did the Dec. 8 date come from?

I read through the bill three times, and couldn't find an effective date. In Wash, the date is usually specified. Did I miss something? Where did the Dec. 8 date come from?
Oregon doesn't try to make anything easy or clear, and is pretty backwards compared to Washington. Someone on another thread said 30 days after the bill's passing.

114 seems like it will be a problem for Wash. residents to buy a long gun in Ore. Meaning, getting the Ore. gun permit for an out of state resident would be problematic. Realizing that the actual process hasn't started yet, it was said elsewhere on this forum that the permit would have to come from the applicant's city chief of police or county sheriff, as appropriate. An out of state resident wouldn't have such in Ore.

Someone on another thread said 30 days after the bill's passing.
Is that in the Ore. statutes for all such initiative type bills? If so, I guess they don't need to state it in the bill itself.

No it is not a joke.
Makes one wonder if those that are gun owners and who voted for Measure 114 ....
Actually took the time to read all of it...and understood just what it intends to do.
No, I am certain they did not. They only listened to what misinformation KATU and other "news" channels kept spewing, that M114 will "require background checks for all gun purchases" with no further mention of what M114 would really do. :mad:

No, I am certain they did not. They only listened to what misinformation KATU and other "news" channels kept spewing, that M114 will "require background checks for all gun purchases" with no further mention of what M114 would really do. :mad:
That's true, every time I heard anyone on TV talk about 114, they started out by explaining it required BG checks. I imagine for a lot of people, as soon as they heard that (and read it on the ballot), they thought "that's very important" and decided to vote yes.

From ballotpedia.org:

Effective date
Ballot measures take effect 30 days after the election at which they are approved.

See law:Oregon Constitution, Article IV, Section 1 (4d)

Notwithstanding section 1, Article XVII of this Constitution, an initiative or referendum measure becomes effective 30 days after the day on which it is enacted or approved by a majority of the votes cast thereon. A referendum ordered by petition on a part of an Act does not delay the remainder of the Act from becoming effective.

Look on the bright side, fellas...
Now Portland can put all those traffic barrels back to use being traffic control devices instead of 'don't shoot here' signs.
Friggin' idiots...

Anyone have an idea/clue if CHL holders will still get kicked to somewhere near the front of the 'list' prior to the date(s) mentioned in the SW notice?

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top