JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I bought this shotgun out of a pawn shop today. This is a Remington 870 DM. I was impressed. I liked the steel receiver and the rifle sights with the ghost ring aperture on the back. It's heftier than my old Wingmaster. The pistol grip is something to get used to, the gun presents to the shoulder differently with it. Is the hefty recoil pad a warning re. the 3 inch magnum shells that I'm not used to shooting? The Bird's nest on the muzzle is a cylinder choke, the prongs are for stabilizing the muzzle for door breaching use. Which I seriously doubt will be of utility to me.

The box magazine loading is different. For those of you who already know about this gun, don't bother telling me that magazines for it are discontinued and cost an arm and an aorta when found. But I'm set on obtaining a six round mag for it.

I suppose the pistol grip will cause this gun to be included in pending assault weapon legislation in Wash.

2023-02 (28).JPG 2023-02 (29).JPG 2023-02 (30).JPG 2023-02 (31).JPG

I hope they designed a better ejector spring... Mine broke 3x before I could put a full box of shells through it.

I hope they designed a better ejector spring... Mine broke 3x before I could put a full box of shells through it.
Yes, I hope so too. Here is what I read in one of the reviews of the gun:

"We took 100 of these new shotguns, put 2,000 rounds through each of them, and recorded every issue that came up," Cox said. "That gave us a large sample size with a lot of rounds on each sample. We did the same thing with the legacy 870. The failure rate on the regular 870 was less than 1 percent. The 870 DM's failure rate was even smaller. We didn't think we could do it, but the 870 DM feeds more reliably than the original 870."

I hope mine is like the 100 test guns and not like yours. The gun I bought is used, maybe it's had the bugs worked out of it, if any.

Wait...so the magazine is from the factory? I never Remington made such a beast. Does it still fire 2 3/4" shells...or only 3"?

Limbsaver makes a recoil pad for the 870...or at least they used to. Might help a bit with the recoil of 3" shells.

Cool gun!

What's the question, again?

That pistol grip stock can be swapped out with a standard stock. Kinda moot if it still has a detachabe mag, obviously, but that's not anything you can do anything about. The internals are a bit different from a standard 870 and the tube is defunct... only acting as a guide for the forend.

Nice find though!

I bought this shotgun out of a pawn shop today. This is a Remington 870 DM. I was impressed. I liked the steel receiver and the rifle sights with the ghost ring aperture on the back. It's heftier than my old Wingmaster. The pistol grip is something to get used to, the gun presents to the shoulder differently with it. Is the hefty recoil pad a warning re. the 3 inch magnum shells that I'm not used to shooting? The Bird's nest on the muzzle is a cylinder choke, the prongs are for stabilizing the muzzle for door breaching use. Which I seriously doubt will be of utility to me.

The box magazine loading is different. For those of you who already know about this gun, don't bother telling me that magazines for it are discontinued and cost an arm and an aorta when found. But I'm set on obtaining a six round mag for it.

I suppose the pistol grip will cause this gun to be included in pending assault weapon legislation in Wash.

View attachment 1367677View attachment 1367679View attachment 1367680View attachment 1367681
I gotta ask.....how much did it set ya back?

Does it still fire 2 3/4" shells...or only 3"?
bbl. is marked for both.

Have you looked for extra mags? Iirc, they were unobtanium for under a couple hundred $$ for quite a while, if you could find them.
Yes, 6 round mags are on GB new for $103.

Since it appears that no more of the 870 DM's will be made in future, there is probably a saturation point for selling spare magazines. But then again, there is always loss, wear and tear on magazines.

I gotta ask.....how much did it set ya back?
More than I should've - $400. I think before the legacy Remington concern went bankrupt, you could get them on discount for $300 (plus shipping, plus fees, plus tax), this was on a MSRP of about $700. I've read a post from a principal at the new Remarms firm that took over Ilion in 2020 wherein he says that sales of the gun were poor when the old Remington firm went bankrupt. Further, he said Remarms going forward is only going to concentrate on products that they can make and sell in quantity. Makes perfect sense. Accordingly, they have no plans to resume production of the 870 DM. Including magazines.

The 870 DM uses some parts that are peculiar to the model. And likely will be difficult to find in future. Such as the ejector spring that PORSCHE928S4 mentioned. Which might not be a bad idea to get a spare one of. They are available, for $5 plus $15 shipping. I looked at the spring in mine, it's intact for now.

That pistol grip stock can be swapped out with a standard stock.
This is why I didn't have any problem with it as an "assault weapon" as defined on the pending Wash. AWB. Change the butt stock, it's no longer an AW.

On the other hand, I can put a pistol grip stock on a New England Firearms single shot rifle or shotgun, it's not an AW. There are even telescoping butt stocks made for the single shots. They seem ridiculous, but I'm thinking it would be a good thing for a gun that might be used by a youth shooter, yet could extend out for adult shooting.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews