Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Is it the rife or the mags?

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by blankman32k, Jan 20, 2013.

1. blankman32k

blankman32k Peoples Republic of PDX Member

Hello,

Bought a sig 556 swat and finally found some rounds to go try it out. I was using some tapco 30 round mags loaded with a mix of 5.56 and .223. The rounds would hang up and in two cases the bullet was pushed back into the brass. Later I took some fresh 223 and was cycling through the rife and had the same problem. It seems like the mag is riding low and when I push it up a hair the round cycle through properly. Tried it with an aluminum gi mag and no problem. So is it the the tapco mag or is there some adjustment to the rifle or breaking in issue?

Thanks

2. lazerblazer

lazerblazer Portland Active Member

Well from the evidence provided the only plausible conclusion is that it would be your tapco magazine since the GI had no issues. If you have a buddy with an AR try the Tapco mags in that rifle, and vise versa with the mags that the other rifle uses.

iamme and (deleted member) like this.
  3. PDXSparky

PDXSparky Keizer / Hillsboro Well-Known Member

I agree with LB, sounds like the Tapco mag is the problem.

4. DoubleTapDrew

DoubleTapDrew Oregon Well-Known Member

The problem is your mag says Tapco on it. That's like feeding a thoroughbread sawdust.

mjbskwim and (deleted member) like this.
  5. rayd8

rayd8 Formerly Portland, now Alabama! Member

I wouldn't worry about whether the mags works in another AR. I had a Sig556 and it ran fine on a mix usgi and Pmags. Toss any mags that don't work or mark them for training use.

6. Skang

Skang WA Well-Known Member

this,

at this point it's better than nothing, but it wouldn't be my first choice.

7. MarkAd

MarkAd Port Orchard Well-Known Member

Go to makogroup.com they have mags in stock. I have not used them but for 18.70 it is worth the gambel.

8. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

Apparently,it's not better than nothing since if he feeds it one at a time the bullet won't be pushed back in the brass;)

I would give the tapco mag the truck test. See if it survives you driving over it.
    My other choice is to leave them at the pit so someone else thinks they scored,finding a new mag.

9. Medic!

Medic! What just happened? Has eagle eyes. But cant remember what he saw. Bronze Supporter

Crap in. Crap out. Those tapco mags are junk.
    At least you didn'y buy a $1500 + gun then shoot the cheepest gun show reloaded soft nose junk ammo you could find, and ask if it's the gun?
    Then get po'd and sell it because it ''Should be able to shoot anything"!
    Mags are just behind ammo as far as causing malfunctions. Dont Use thermalmelts either. Only P-mag looks to have got the plastic mags to work and stay workin. Dang ol plastic.