JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Reactions
I own 3 acres a bit outside of the city limits in Clackamas County. I would like to set up a short distance outdoor range for handgun practice (a heavy duty backstop would be in place) and I am trying to find out if it is legal to shoot on my property or not... No guess's here as I do not want to get in major crap, I am looking for as much detail as I can get... Any ideas?

I would think it would be ok, but I suggest you contact the county mounties. Every experience I have had with them has been positive. I am sure they could tell you if you would be ok with that. My guess is that if you have neighbors near by, they would be your biggest problem. I would contact everyone within ear shot (so to speak) and let them know, or find out how they feel about it. If you just started shooting one day, you might get a visit from a confused LEO.

I have a friend with about 10 ish acres out on Harding Rd. well outside the city and shooting is fine. His neighbors often will shoot on their property as well.

I would make sure that you are indeed outside of city limits. Years ago a buddy and I were hunting south of Overland Park, KS in what we were sure was the country. About 20 minutes after we had shot a couple of rabbits an Overland Park Police car pulls up with lights flashing asking what the heck we thought we were doing. Long story short, he didn't arrest us although he could have. Turns out the city had annexed a bunch of rural land for future development and we were hunting well within city limits although there wasn't a house any where even remotely close to where we were.

I've been shooting on my 8 acres between Carver and Redland for about eighteen years with no problems or complaints. I hear others nearby on occasion as well. Just be sure you are not inside the city limits of one of the "new" towns like Happy Valley or Damascus or something and go for it. The above advice to check with the Clackadeputies would also put your mind at ease. Have many happy and safe shoots!!!

We shoot on our land all the time, and almost everyone else in the area here also shoots on their property. It would be my suggestion, that every time, before you start firing on your range, you call the Sheriff an give them a heads up, so when the "gunshots heard" phone calls come in from your area come in they know they do not have to waste their time.

Make sure there are no close houses down range and don't shoot so often, and at such times, as to be a burr in your neighbors collective bonnet.

I do believe that the law states that it is illegal to shoot inside the city limits. Beings that your outside of it you should be good to go.

I would make sure that you are indeed outside of city limits. Years ago a buddy and I were hunting south of Overland Park, KS in what we were sure was the country. About 20 minutes after we had shot a couple of rabbits an Overland Park Police car pulls up with lights flashing asking what the heck we thought we were doing. Long story short, he didn't arrest us although he could have. Turns out the city had annexed a bunch of rural land for future development and we were hunting well within city limits although there wasn't a house any where even remotely close to where we were.

and that cop JUMPED on the opportunity to make himself feel smart by trying to make you feel dumb, despite the fact that it was not only an easy mistake to make, but that it'd probably been made 40 times before.

/derail

Is there any rule about being a specified distance from a road or building? Would 2.5 acres be enough for pistols and .22 rifles assuming shooting into a hill or berm?

Last Edited:
Washington country has a no shooting district that extends outside of various city limits.

Some counties, especially those near metro areas, have similar districts.

Just because you are outside of a city limit does not mean you won't be inside a no shooting district.

I advise you to check with the county, maybe the zoning office, to see if there is such a district in Clackamas county, and if they have a map of it. Don't take someone's verbal word for this - get the map if there is such a thing.

We live on 5 acres 4 miles from the city center in the liberal mecca of Corvallis. I have neighbors close by and I shoot handguns when I get the itch. I have never had a visit from the Sheriff, even though I'm sure some folks don't like it.

Is there any rule about being a specified distance from a road or building? Would 2.5 acres be enough for pistols and .22 rifles assuming shooting into a hill or berm?

I vaguely remember when my wife and I were researching it you could not shoot towards a road.

With that many acres all you'll be able to shoot is pistols and pistol caliber carbines, for fun at least. We have similar acerage and while I do site in a few rifles it's kinda boring, no challenge to rifles.... Shotgun at a tree stump is fun, also I highly recommend eggs and a 22lr.

Luckily we back up to miles of forest land on 3 sides of our property in the middle of hunting territory so neighbors can't tell our gunfire from the hunters. But I'm pretty sure the steel targets in my backyard is a dead giveaway we use it as a range.

And yeah each county is different, we read something about shooting during fire season for our county, don't remember the exact law so we just don't shoot in the summer. (Even though others do in them thar hills)

I ran into something similiar in Yamhill county and found this out. The text that that I took to the county is in bold. If it is truly private property and you put a tiny bit of work into making a "range", the law is on your side.

Does using a dozer to make a berm count? :D

35l70j8.jpg

Can you shoot within the urban growth boundary but outside city limits in Clackamas county?
Old thread, but I moved out here and am renting. Wanted to make sure the property I buy allows target shooting. I called and the deputy told me that if you are in the urban growth boundary it is a no go. You need to be in the county outside of UGB.

It's always more complicated than just you can't shoot in the UGB

ORS 166.220 Unlawful use of a weapon

"Intentionally discharges a firearm, blowgun, bow and arrow, crossbow or explosive device within the city limits of any city or within residential areas within urban growth boundaries at or in the direction of any person, building, structure or vehicle within the range of the weapon without having legal authority for such discharge."

However there is an exception to the rule:

Persons discharging firearms, blowguns, bows and arrows, crossbows or explosive devices upon public or private shooting ranges, shooting galleries or other areas designated and built for the purpose of target shooting;

So it's not uncommon for a Deputy who isn't a lawyer to not see the exception or know what the nuances of the exception are.

To sum it up, you can't shoot in the residential area of an UGB area, unless you are shooting into an area built for the purpose of target shooting. It's reasonable to assume the legislature meant a safe backstop / berm and not just the area you shoot at targets you hung up in the trees.

It's always more complicated than just you can't shoot in the UGB

ORS 166.220 Unlawful use of a weapon

"Intentionally discharges a firearm, blowgun, bow and arrow, crossbow or explosive device within the city limits of any city or within residential areas within urban growth boundaries at or in the direction of any person, building, structure or vehicle within the range of the weapon without having legal authority for such discharge."

However there is an exception to the rule:

Persons discharging firearms, blowguns, bows and arrows, crossbows or explosive devices upon public or private shooting ranges, shooting galleries or other areas designated and built for the purpose of target shooting;

So it's not uncommon for a Deputy who isn't a lawyer to not see the exception or know what the nuances of the exception are.

To sum it up, you can't shoot in the residential area of an UGB area, unless you are shooting into an area built for the purpose of target shooting. It's reasonable to assume the legislature meant a safe backstop / berm and not just the area you shoot at targets you hung up in the trees.

Hmmm, very interesting. The deputy did ask me for an address to lookup, but I didn't have anything specific, just was asking in general. So maybe they have a database for no go or go for firearms discharge? The rental I have now is in the county and outside of UGB and I do hear gun fire from time to time. It sounds like freedom to me.

Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads