JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm going to tag along on an Elk hunt this season (mainly to get some more camping in this year) with my father in law in SW Washington. I was planning on packing my Glock 17 on my hip, until a co-worker told me that I cant if I did not have my hunting license. Is this true? I live in Oregon and only have my Oregon CHL so I would either have to open carry or don't carry at all.

I'm going to tag along on an Elk hunt this season (mainly to get some more camping in this year) with my father in law in SW Washington. I was planning on packing my Glock 17 on my hip, until a co-worker told me that I cant if I did not have my hunting license. Is this true? I live in Oregon and only have my Oregon CHL so I would either have to open carry or don't carry at all.

Absolutely, you can carry, to from, and during your outdoor recreational activity, no license necessary,,,CC or OC (I would suggest OC, by that is my bias, not law.) RCW 9.41.060: Exceptions to restrictions on carrying firearms. Specifically (8)

The hunting/fishing license is an OR restriction...that WA does not have.

Absolutely, you can carry, to from, and during your outdoor recreational activity, no license necessary,,,CC or OC (I would suggest OC, by that is my bias, not law.) RCW 9.41.060: Exceptions to restrictions on carrying firearms. Specifically (8)

The hunting/fishing license is an OR restriction...that WA does not have.
He can carry cc in WA with only OR CHL? How does that work?
I OC or CC all the time here in OR sometimes even a rifle with OR CHL but no hunting license. I am not aware of any law that I am violating. What if I were to carry an unplugged pump gun with buckshot? Please inform me if I'm wrong.

Yes you can legally carry a pistol in WA state during any hunting season (or any other time). Concealed or not will depend on what you are doing or if you have a CPL (see the link above).

You just can not shoot game with a pistol smaller then legal size.

He can carry cc in WA with only OR CHL? How does that work?

He can carry CC or OC in WA depending on what he is doing. Read the link posted above and it will tell you.

I OC or CC all the time here in OR sometimes even a rifle with OR CHL but no hunting license. I am not aware of any law that I am violating.

I dont know either, I am not up on OR laws.

What if I were to carry an unplugged pump gun with buckshot? Please inform me if I'm wrong.
What if you were to carry an unplugged shotgun? Not sure what your question is. In WA there is no magazine limit on hunting other then the Federal rule of 3 rounds for Federal birds........ I can legally load my Tromix up with the 20rd drum full of buck or slug and go deer hunting in WA.

He can carry CC or OC in WA depending on what he is doing. Read the link posted above and it will tell you.

I dont know either, I am not up on OR laws.

What if you were to carry an unplugged shotgun? Not sure what your question is. In WA there is no magazine limit on hunting other then the Federal rule of 3 rounds for Federal birds........ I can legally load my Tromix up with the 20rd drum full of buck or slug and go deer hunting in WA.
Wow - thats a lot of Bambi medicine. Thanks for your answer. What I meant was what if I carry an unplugged shotgun during waterfowl season in a waterfowl hunting area but without a bird license and no intention to hunt. Anyone with specific info for OR care to strut their stuff for everyone's edification?
Thanks

Wow - thats a lot of Bambi medicine. Thanks for your answer. What I meant was what if I carry an unplugged shotgun during waterfowl season in a waterfowl hunting area but without a bird license and no intention to hunt. Anyone with specific info for OR care to strut their stuff for everyone's edification?
Thanks

In Washington the law is RCW 9.41.060...It gives all the exceptions to the restrictions on carry in RCW 9.41.050.

Basically: RCW 9.41.060(8) states, if you are participating in an outdoor recreational activity...hiking, boating, horseback riding, camping, hunting, fishing..whatever...the term is very broad, as it only has to be an outdoor recreational activity,,,Or going to, Or coming from such...WA basically becomes a constitutional carry state...you do not need any licensed to carry a loaded pistol, concealed or openly, for your self defence. I strongly suggest openly, because that is what I do, and i have never had any trouble that way (I have lived in WA state since 1970), I do not like intentional concealed carry without a strong reason (like it's cold, and you are wearing a coat) and when you wish to use the .060(8) exemption, open carry is easier to justify if stopped, as OC in WA is legal anyway. (not that the WSP gives any grief, because they do not.) BTW: RCW 9.41.060(8) works for 18-20 year olds too here in WA. No license of any type necessary. In WA you MAY carry on an ATV/UTV. (loaded pistol/never a loaded long gun in or on a vehicle)

The equivilent law in OR is ORS 166.260...exemptions to the restrictions in ORS 166.250. Basically the same reading, except in OR, it covers only hunting and fishing, and you must have a hunting or fishing license for the ORS 166.260 exemptions to be good. In OR you may NOT carry on an ATV/UTV!

OH, May I add...This infor is for HANDGUNS only. I do NOT know OR long gun regulations,,,that would be F&W regs (RCW 77 in WA)

I do know, IN WA, license or no license...NEVER carry a loaded long gun "in or on" a Vehicle in WA...the ONLY exception to this is if you have a disabled hunters license....

In OR you can CC on or in any vehicle if you have a CC permit. You can carry a pistol any way you like while hunting with a rifle or bow. We are limited to 3 shotgun rounds or 5 rounds when hunting anything other than grey squirrels.

In OR you can CC on or in any vehicle if you have a CC permit. You can carry a pistol any way you like while hunting with a rifle or bow. We are limited to 3 shotgun rounds or 5 rounds when hunting anything other than grey squirrels.

In Oregon, that's 3 shotty rounds for bird hunting (pump action or semi-auto) and 5 rounds in semi-auto long guns for hunting other game (shotty or rifle)... The 5 round limit does not apply to bolt action or pump action rifles or shotties.

Too many laws, people.. simply it should be, "do not hunt game without a lisc and following the regs, and with unapproved weapons"

Otherwise you are assumed to be carrying solely for self defense

Thanks

I would guess you would loose that unplugged shotgun.During any hunting season in WA and carrying a long gun that can be used for whatever game is in season*** laws or not*** you had better be licensed for the game.
Rifle or shotgun loaded for big game? Better have at least a bear tag or a deer/elk tag if that's open.
A unplugged shotgun in an area that you can hunt ducks will get you big trouble.No duck stamp and a plugged shotgun will do the same,unless there is upland birds to hunt also.

And Nwcid,I believe you need a plug in your shotgun for any bird hunting in WA

I would guess you would loose that unplugged shotgun.During any hunting season in WA and carrying a long gun that can be used for whatever game is in season*** laws or not*** you had better be licensed for the game.
Rifle or shotgun loaded for big game? Better have at least a bear tag or a deer/elk tag if that's open.
A unplugged shotgun in an area that you can hunt ducks will get you big trouble.No duck stamp and a plugged shotgun will do the same,unless there is upland birds to hunt also.

And Nwcid,I believe you need a plug in your shotgun for any bird hunting in WA

Thanks for your answer. I tend to think that you are right about losing the gun. At least I worry about it and it keeps me from carrying the shotgun. I wonder if being in possession of only buckshot or slugs would help your case. Otherwise in theory going out to the woods to shoot targets/clay during hunting season could put you in a legal jackpot.
Interestingly I have never had any concern about carrying a rifle in the woods without a hunting license. Only now does that seem like a double standard. That is why I like these threads - makes you think about things in new ways.

All you have to do is put a wood dowel in the magazine to take up a few shells.
I know I really don't like going through 7-8 rounds of 12 gauge any more.
And if it's a well used shooting area,you should be fine. Just not walking around with it

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top