JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Ya'll are coming at this from the wrong direction, although some of you touched on it. The better question would be, are YOU good enough to bet your life on? As has been said time and again, and in different ways, you can't mis fast enough, and a miss at 500 ft. lbs. will be far less effective than a hit at 100. Know your weapon, know your abilities and limits, and pay attention to your surroundings, i.e. situation awareness. These are far more important than caliber or even type of weapon. BTW, my carry piece is a 9mm, although I do have a .45 that I could also use, I'm just better with the 9. Later.
"Later."

This is essentially a mic drop. LOL.

I would not discount the new .22LR Glock as a defensive pistol for someone...
However , Its not up to me , to decide for them , what gun to use.

I wouldn't use the new Glock that way if I had my choice...but I wouldn't curl up and wait to die if all I had was a .22 and needed to defend myself.
Andy
( And yeah I'm betting that your comment was kinda tongue in cheek....:D )

Given the history (I know your into that ;)) of poor reliability in .22 ammo (which was your point, I think), if one chooses to carry (I'm all about personal choice) the new Glock .22, one may wish to put in extra practice on malfunction clearance drills. :D:D:D

I've given some thought to buying a .22lr for the wife to use for EDC. Her hands just won't let her rack the .380 that I bought for her, making it a one shot pistol. Other handguns have proven to be left at home because they are too heavy for her to carry. So I was looking at a tupperware revolver in .22lr. Now I don't think I will be doing that since her cognitive impairment seems to be increasing... but it was a thought there for awhile.

I could post the stats, but the highlights pointed out that at the time (mid 80s through early 2000s) 9mm did poorly compared to others! Not to get into the old debate of which is better, i will note here that of all the results i saw, there were two that were far and away much more effective then all others, .357 magnum, and the old war horse .45 ACP! Dosnt take a rocket surgeon to make sense of all that, those two were the top in lethality!

Lethality, or One Shot Stops?

Pretty sure I don't care about lethality. So I wonder if statistics regarding lethality might be a bit misleading.

If you are worried about 9mm performance but really like the 9mm, do what I do, switch to the 357 SIG! Hey, it is still a 9mm. Faster and penetrates deeper, and also manageable. I am quite good with this round out of my SIG 226 and 1911.

9x19 is great. I walked away from 45 ACP for human sized-targets.

Ya'll are coming at this from the wrong direction, although some of you touched on it. The better question would be, are YOU good enough to bet your life on? As has been said time and again, and in different ways, you can't mis fast enough, and a miss at 500 ft. lbs. will be far less effective than a hit at 100. Know your weapon, know your abilities and limits, and pay attention to your surroundings, i.e. situation awareness. These are far more important than caliber or even type of weapon. BTW, my carry piece is a 9mm, although I do have a .45 that I could also use, I'm just better with the 9. Later.
This.

The FBI also reported that it took an average of 3 hits to down a threat.

Some of you are going to say, well if 45 is better than 3x 45 trumps 3x 9 any day.

Well. Duh. But only if they're all hits. So the question becomes, with which round can you drop 3 rounds in quick succession all on target and all very close together?

Get your 3 hits. Statistically, it doesn't matter if those hits were with 9, 40, or 45. Hell, I'm not about to sign up to be a 380 test dummy either.

Yea BG may not drop dead but in the battle of Fallujah buildings were getting dropped on Bad guys and they were still charging towards the marines all hopped up on opioids. So it really comes down to who you're fighting, what they are on/how determined they are to kill you, and shot placement. There is no equation to success. Except keep shooting until the threat is neutralized.

Yea BG may not drop dead but in the battle of Fallujah buildings were getting dropped on Bad guys and they were still charging towards the marines all hopped up on opioids. So it really comes down to who you're fighting, what they are on/how determined they are to kill you, and shot placement.

I'd bet that .50cal put a period on a lot of that!!

Then the limpwristed Federal agents complained about having to carry and shoot such a heavy gun with the massive recoil giving them PTSD... So they went to the 40S&W and that's where the line in the sand was drawn... LONG LIVE THE 40!!!!!:D

Additionally, in the Miami shootout the FBI were up against Cocaine Cowboys who were so Coked up out of their minds that a tank would not have helped the outcome... lesser bad guys would have been dead...

Back to the regular scheduled discussion...;)

Reminds me of this:

1BC6A386-E4A5-435D-84AA-EEA3B9C11BA5.jpeg

As to the varied stories about the lowly .22 LR, they illustrate something that most of us have known a long time. The twenty-two will not reliably stop a human or dangerous animal, and should not be relied upon for such, but they're NOT a toy and should never be underestimated either! They won't reliably kill but they absolutely can kill.

I've seen too many people over the years who treat .22s like a BB gun: "It's just a .22, can't hurt anyone". So wrong!

.40 should be outlawed !
I pull up to one of my shooting areas and see a 'carpet' of brass on the ground and its .40!!
Not 9mm or .45!
I see more .40 left than anything else!

That's odd, at my range I find ten times as much 9mm as anything else. .40 is a distant second, and .45 a very distant third. Anything else is very rare. I have three 5 gallon buckets of 9mm in my garage, and maybe a gallon or so of .40.

.40 should be outlawed !
I pull up to one of my shooting areas and see a 'carpet' of brass on the ground and its .40!!
Not 9mm or .45!
I see more .40 left than anything else!
sweep it up . It's free money even as scrap. There are a few guys on here that do reload 40 . It would be trading stock for something you might use .
If they pass the ammo back ground check and other nonsense it will be gold.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads