JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm an advocate of carrying the largest caliber sidearm one is most proficient with. For me, after back to back range testing, is a Sig M11-A1 in 9mm. Double tapping a couple of rounds into the ole snot locker should be sufficient to drop most threats.

It's an age old debate and personally I've gone back and forth between 9mm and .45 ACP. As I said, did back to back accuracy testing at 30 ft, and have a higher hit percentage and higher confidence level with the 9mm, currently... Who knows, that may change once I get the 220 out for a range session :D

I have SIGs in 9mm, .357, .40 and .45 in P224, P229, P226 and P227

I do not feel under-gunned with any of them, but I have my choice for different purposes. My two favorites are the P226 in .40 (15 and 20 rd mags) and P227 Tactical (14 rounds) in .45 ACP. If either of those won't do the job, then my 460V probably would.

Should you feel compelled to adopt another adult child with which to leave an inheritance to, I really really like Sigs, especially in 9 and .45 :p

You're pretty well equipped for any sort of social work that needs taken care of. The unsocial, civil unrest stuff - your 5.7mm stuff with FMJ rounds should help acquire heavier firepower if you don't already have it on you.

If you are terminated for violating weapons policy at a place of employment, it can be difficult to get another job as the word can get around.
and I could give 2 craps less, I will as long as I live carry at work whether allowed or not. I have always refused to go with nothing just for the security. Every time some scum shoots up some work place there are people who cower in some corner waiting to be shot. Hey they were easy to be rehired at another job though since they did not violate some policy. No thanks, I will carry. If I have to shoot someone I can hit the bricks looking for another job as word gets around. Far better to me than being in the hospital healing up or dead. If I am dead kind of hard to get hired too. Now of course this is me. I have never had any problem with those who are afraid to do this for just that reason, that they may need to use the gun and get fired. For those who are scared that saving their life may cost them the job, great, hide in the corner if it happens and hope you live. It is their choice to make. I long ago made mine and will live with the results if it comes to that.

I'm betting it was job performance and the need for a restraining order figured in much more than the firearms violation.

The few (four) folks I knew who lost jobs because of carry policy violations did not have a problem in that the companies just let him go and did not spread the word to anybody else. In fact, these days giving a negative review, for even the biggest slime bucket out there, can get you slapped with a law suit from the fired individual. And they can win big settlements.
Yes sadly I have been seeing a lot of that of the last decade or two. People termed who deserved it no end. The Co would refuse to give any kind of negative info to the next employer because they were afraid of blow back. Several times we would then hire someone who would turn out to be crap. Only to find out the people they had worked for and used as reference were afraid to say anything. Lots of fun. Only thing I have seen a Co willing to say is the person is not eligible for re hire. That was as far as they would go. So many just float from job to job. If they can put on a good face at the hire they can stick it to another employer:mad:

9mm is a perfect round for self defense, simply because by the time you have discussed ad-infinitum with your attacker about whether you feel entirely confident that it'll quickly kill him, slowly kill him, or just wound him.

..... he'll have died of boredom !!

Also,
Use care to watch how loud the discussion becomes, or it may result in the deaths of innocent bystanders from "collateral boredom".

and I could give 2 craps less, I will as long as I live carry at work whether allowed or not. I have always refused to go with nothing just for the security. Every time some scum shoots up some work place there are people who cower in some corner waiting to be shot. Hey they were easy to be rehired at another job though since they did not violate some policy. No thanks, I will carry. If I have to shoot someone I can hit the bricks looking for another job as word gets around. Far better to me than being in the hospital healing up or dead. If I am dead kind of hard to get hired too. Now of course this is me. I have never had any problem with those who are afraid to do this for just that reason, that they may need to use the gun and get fired. For those who are scared that saving their life may cost them the job, great, hide in the corner if it happens and hope you live. It is their choice to make. I long ago made mine and will live with the results if it comes to that.

That is your choice (although, any property owner/et. al. has the right to determine whether someone has a weapon on their property/place of business). I am just sharing my observations of HR practices so that people can make informed choices. Another tidbit of trivia; the general rule of thumb is that for every $10K of wages, it can take a month to find a new job when your old job goes away, and I believe this proportion goes up exponentially.

If I get laid off, I will probably never find another job that pays the same; very few tech orgs want to hire a 66 year old software engineer.

Also, I believe that for most people, the chance of a workplace shooting is very low and over-hyped. I don't worry about it at all. I am slightly more concerned about the chance of encountering a threat between where I park and the office near one office I work at.

Last Edited:
Should you feel compelled to adopt another adult child with which to leave an inheritance to, I really really like Sigs, especially in 9 and .45 :p

You're pretty well equipped for any sort of social work that needs taken care of. The unsocial, civil unrest stuff - your 5.7mm stuff with FMJ rounds should help acquire heavier firepower if you don't already have it on you.

One child is quite enough to bankrupt me - thanks. ;)

The 5.7 ammo includes about 3K rounds of 40 gr. VMax and if the Speer HP ammo lives up to its promise, I will probably get about 3K of that. I don't recall purposely buying much 28 gr. LF, but I did acquire much of what I have with gun purchases.

Yes sadly I have been seeing a lot of that of the last decade or two. People termed who deserved it no end. The Co would refuse to give any kind of negative info to the next employer because they were afraid of blow back. Several times we would then hire someone who would turn out to be crap. Only to find out the people they had worked for and used as reference were afraid to say anything. Lots of fun. Only thing I have seen a Co willing to say is the person is not eligible for re hire. That was as far as they would go. So many just float from job to job. If they can put on a good face at the hire they can stick it to another employer:mad:

Yes - it is standard HR policy today to just give a positive/negative as to whether someone worked for you or not. Any more info than that is usually given by a senior HR person, and then it might be hire dates and/or job title - maybe job responsibilities - no more. When someone calls you on the phone they might be anybody, including someone checking what you say that is working for the terminated person.

That is why any bad info is passed face to face in back channels, over lunch and whispered at that - or maybe just hand signals - a simple nod yes or no is sufficient and has plausible deniability.

It used to be that if they just said "yes, XYZ used to work here, now they don't" and declined to give more info, then that was a red flag in and of itself, but now that is standard policy.

Personally, I am not too worried about getting terminated - I am 7 months away from FRA, and if I do get let go before I retire, I will get 6 months of UI benefits as I doubt anybody will hire me full time again at my age. Indeed, I have reasons to suspect that in about 9 to 18 months that I will indeed be laid off - possibly along with a number of other people at the 18 month point. We will just have to see whether that happens or whether I retire first.

But I would rather not be let go for violating an HR policy, especially for something as unlikely as a workplace shooting.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top