Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Insurance cancels policy because of firearm ownership

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by Swedish K, Mar 6, 2014.

1. Swedish K

Swedish K SW Washington Moderator Staff Member

Just ran across this today - apparently some insurance companies are canceling policies due to "increased risks/hazards" associated with firearms ownership/storage and firearms permits. While the article didn't directly state the type of insurance policy the name of the policy would lead me to believe that they canceled his health insurance. What happened to "health insurance for everyone"? I hope this is an isolated case and not a new trend.

Facebook

ZA_Survivalist likes this.
  2. DeanfromOregon

DeanfromOregon Wilsonville Amateur Ascended Master Platinum Supporter

When my insurance company asked I told them I have an AR-15, and it's a lesbian.

3. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Vancouver Well-Known Member

Did you know that a trampoline will negate the majority of the homeowners policies out there?

Until there is insurance, tort and liability reform, insurance companies will look for any and every reason to raise premiums and will drop you like a hot potato at the slightest perception that you look like a liability.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
    Capn Jack, Caveman Jim, 2506 and 3 others like this.
  4. GunRightsCoalition

GunRightsCoalition Vancouver Well-Known Member 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

If it's the same one I saw I think it's a business policy. I would like to see the data though that establishes it as an increased risk and not just some company policy against firearms.

5. Simonpie

Simonpie Portland Active Member

I imagine basic capitalism will take care of this one. If gun ownership doesn't actually come with greater risk, and some insurance company finds some numbers to make them comfortable with it, then they'll go actively courting people who got policies cancelled.
    The insurance company with the most accurate risk predictions wins every time.

But, if guns do increase risk, buck up and pay to play.

6. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

Having a gun safe will do WONDERS on/for your insurance policy(ies). ;)

7. Kruejl

Kruejl Hillsboro Moderator of the Coriolis effect Staff Member Gold Supporter Silver Supporter

Agreed. And its just plain common sense.

Capn Jack likes this.
  8. OHshoot!

OHshoot! Bellingham Member

My home owners insurance company sold me more insurance as my collection grew. No problems here.

9. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Our insurance offered us an up grade based on our time in the policy and the rests of which increased the part of our homeowners that would cover art objects and collectables up to a total of 30K in value. Should I want higher coverage on specific items I need to submit an inventory and photographs.

We are quite happy with Oregon Mutual and have happily sent them money for the last 26 years.

10. Stomper

Funny that, I've been with Oregon Mutual for home and auto for over 20yrs myself!

11. clearconscience

clearconscience Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

Should have told them it was a black lesbian

Caveman Jim likes this.
  12. Stomper

"AR" stands for "alternative rifle". ;)

ZA_Survivalist, U201491 and Capn Jack like this.
  13. deen_ad

deen_ad Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

I've had Pemco for close to 40 years now. Have a $30,000 rider for my wifes Hummel collection, but they are not as collectable as they once were. Did have to submit a full listing of each piece and value. They have never asked about whether there are guns in the house.

Deen
    NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
    Defender of Freedom Award
    NRA Recruiter
    Second Amendment Foundation Member
    Washington Arms Collectors Member
    Arms Collectors of SW Washington Member

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one and don't have it, you'll probably never need one again!"

14. RK600

RK600 SW WA Active Member

This is a business, not a house. Insurance policies are quite different for businesses.

Nick Burkhardt likes this.
  15. ZigZagZeke

ZigZagZeke Eugene Silver Supporter Silver Supporter 2015 Volunteer

I have had USAA for years. Guns are no problem for them, of course.

16. Swedish K

Swedish K SW Washington Moderator Staff Member

Make sure you read the fine print on your policy or if you know /trust your agent ask them if there is a limit on firearms. IIRC my homeowners policy at the last house had a max coverage for firearms unless specifically itemized and a rider policy for them was added - think the limit was $7500 without the rider. We ended up with a $1m umbrella that covered all auto and homeowners claims above and beyond the basic policy. Figured it was a bit more necessary down south where people are pretty sue happy. One moron tries to break into your house and breaks his leg running away when the lights come on, you might end up being sued for no hand rail on those 2 steps down to the sidewalk...

Capn Jack and Caveman Jim like this.
  17. clearconscience

clearconscience Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

I have usaa too. Only accident i got in they started refusing my medical bills and i had to get a lawyer and threaten to sue them before we settled. Took 2 years. Dumbest thing i ever did.
    I've lived with back pain ever since. That was in 2001 when i was 19. I haven't had a day without pain since then

18. The Heretic

The Heretic Oregon Well-Known Member

Most of my neighbors own guns.

If my insurance co. raised my rates due to gun ownership I would cancel and find another, then I would let anyone who owned guns know that.

I used to insure with Pemco and they had a rider to cover the value of firearms, and that is okay. There were no liability issues. Allstate has never said anything, nor Foremost. They are more concerned about what kind of roof I have, the woodstove, things like that.

19. 2506

2506 Seattle Well-Known Member

Another thing to consider is taking pictures of every gun you own, with detailed descriptions for each photo. Also, determine if you have a policy that is ACV or RV (Actual Cash Value vs Replacement Value). All my rifles, except for a couple of 22s and a 300WM are all custom--if you can't prove they are worth more than an off-the shelf Remington 700 and you file a claim, guess what the insurance company is going to give you. It would behoove you to have your 'smith write up a bill of sale, or some sort of document showing what was done to your gun. Make sure you scan it as a PDF and save those docs along with all your photos to an external hard drive or the cloud. If your house burns down you'll be happy you did.

20. The Heretic

The Heretic Oregon Well-Known Member

All good advice. I recommend you take closeups of the make/model/serial # for police reports and insurance.

As for keeping docs on a "hard drive" - 64 GB flash drives cost about $30 now and are the size of a thumb tip, or even smaller (if you pay more you can get the really thin ones that are about the size of a quarter). It doesn't take much drive space to store a LOT of documents - you should be able to store all of your important personal docs on just a couple of GBs of drive space.